spc
Search similar:

uniqs
LocalMaximum
join:2014-09-16
USA

LocalMaximum

[Equip] Weatherproofing outdoor coax

I currently have my splitter and cable on the outside of the back of my house. What can I do to weatherproof it without installing a box?

Would something like this work?
»www.ebay.com/itm/Coaxial ··· 8bbc64a3

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

[Equip] Re: Weatherproofing outdoor coax

said by LocalMaximum:

Would something like this work?
»www.ebay.com/itm/Coaxial ··· 8bbc64a3

The use of those rubber boots appears to be somewhat controversial: »[Rant] [LONG]A Tale of Three Truck Rolls

While it may keep some water out, any that does manage to get in will then be trapped and not dry out, and could slowly leak into the connection. The use of dielectric grease may help prevent that though: »forums.solidsignal.com/s ··· nnectors

Personally, for my OTA outside antenna and cabling, I use "Coax-Seal" moldable tape »www.naval.com/coax-seal/ , which I originally purchased at Radio Shack, but it's available on Amazon too: »www.amazon.com/protects- ··· 002ZPINC

Wayne99021
Premium Member
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA

Wayne99021 to LocalMaximum

Premium Member

to LocalMaximum
I personally prefer a weather proof box, very inexpensive and won't have to worry about it again.
If you really don't want a box, just get a tube of Clear silicone adhesive sealant and cover the fittings with that.
My son did that a few years back and never had any moisture problems, but he has to re-due it every year or so.
LocalMaximum
USA

LocalMaximum

Awesome. So just fill the connectors with dielectric grease and tape them up with coax seal? Could any bad weather feasibly get through this combination?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by LocalMaximum:

Awesome. So just fill the connectors with dielectric grease and tape them up with coax seal? Could any bad weather feasibly get through this combination?

I don't use the dielectric grease, just the Coax-Seal tape. Never had a problem using that.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

said by LocalMaximum:

I don't use the dielectric grease, just the Coax-Seal tape. Never had a problem using that.

And I suspect that if the connectors had been covered with grease, the tape would have not been able to stick to the cable and connectors very well anyway.
LocalMaximum
USA

LocalMaximum

Re: [Equip] Weatherproofing outdoor coax

Dumb question: where exactly do you put the grease? Inside or outside the connector?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by LocalMaximum:

Dumb question: where exactly do you put the grease? Inside or outside the connector?

Anytime I have used a weatherproofing gel on a network connector (coax or RJ-xx), I always coated the internal connector area first, and then smeared more of the gel around the connection after it was connected.

FWIW, my preference is to use both a protective housing and a protective gel if the choice is mine to make.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to LocalMaximum

Premium Member

to LocalMaximum
and remember
dielectric grease (not chicken fat!) ( any auto parts store or even radio shack will have it) a light coat inside and a small gob well smeared on the outside and the connection should be good until taken apart
LocalMaximum
USA

LocalMaximum

I went to my local radio shack and requested some dielectric grease and the woman gave me the blankest stare I've ever received. I guess I'll try an auto parts store.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

said by LocalMaximum:

some dielectric grease and the woman gave me the blankest stare I've ever received.

I worried about that.
The little "ketchup packet" sized packet they sell (or give you) when you buy a headlight bulb is the stuff (a $5 tube will last many lifetimes)
LocalMaximum
USA

LocalMaximum

Ok, I got some at an autoparts store. I put about a pea size glob on the copper tip of the cable and screwed it down. Should I have used more or less? Then I smeared some on the outside of the connector. Is this the correct method, and will it be pretty weatherproof?

Thank you for your help, it's been indispensable.

jbob
Reach Out and Touch Someone
Premium Member
join:2004-04-26
Little Rock, AR

jbob to LocalMaximum

Premium Member

to LocalMaximum
FYI...I went with an external enclosure over rubber boots. I kept getting water ingress into the connections and was eventually corroding my external connections at the 3-Way and the 3-Way itself. I had to replace two 3-Ways over a 2 year period.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to LocalMaximum

Premium Member

to LocalMaximum
said by LocalMaximum:

Should I have used more or less?

That's plenty, touch up the outside in a year or 2.
LocalMaximum
USA

LocalMaximum

Awesome, thanks for the help.

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger to LocalMaximum

Premium Member

to LocalMaximum
I have my connections On the side. I have them in a box plus the butter boots. It been that for about 8 years now. No rust on any of them.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to LocalMaximum

Premium Member

to LocalMaximum
Stuf Dielectric water proofing filler for coaxial connectors, it works good. »www.mjsales.net/items.as ··· at2ID=78
PDF »www.mjsales.net/pdf/Stuf ··· lkMJ.pdf
LocalMaximum
USA

LocalMaximum

Well, I used this stuff: »www.amazon.com/Versachem ··· c+grease

Hope it works out.