uniqs
paredown38
join:2014-07-13
USA

paredown38

Does Verizon own the router if you were an early customer for FIOS

I picked this out of another post:
quote:
If you got your router prior to April of 2014, then you shouldn't be paying a rental fee for it
We recently upgraded (what a laff) to the 50mb service that required the newer modem (MI424WI)--and they sent us a demand email for the original router to be returned or they were going to charge us a rental fee.

We have had service since 2007(?) or thereabouts...

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

tito79

i would send it back or call support for a return slip
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

PJL to paredown38

to paredown38
Yes Verizon ownes the router they replaced with the new one.
dharel1705
join:2009-06-09
Merrick, NY

dharel1705 to paredown38

to paredown38
Verizon supplied all FiOS customers with a router for free. When the revision I router came out, they offered it for purchase and also began charging a router rental fee for new customers. If you purchased an upgraded router you own it. If you need an upgraded router for internet service, Verizon will send you one at no cost to you, but you must send the old one back. To summarize - customer purchased router is customer owned. Old customers are/were supplied with a router at no cost, but it is Verizon owned. New customers are provided with a Verizon owned router for a router rental fee.
paredown38
join:2014-07-13
USA

paredown38

Thanks. Need to check the billing details to see if I am now being charged a rental...
Dissonance
join:2007-03-26
Floral Park, NY

Dissonance to paredown38

to paredown38
In January 2007 this was in the Fios terms:
quote:
Router provided will be a new or fully inspected, tested and warranted return unit. If service is cancelled within the first 12 months, router must be returned or $99.99 equipment fee applies. If you maintain service for
twelve (12) consecutive months, ownership of the router shall transfer to you, after which time all maintenance of the router shall be at your sole cost and expense, and the risk of loss will be yours should the router be
damaged or stolen.
At some point in 2007 or 2008 those terms changed so it depends on exactly when you signed up. Then again Verizon would probably say something like you agreed to the new terms by using the service so ownership transferred back to them.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool to paredown38

to paredown38
You can keep it if you pay the $200 bill. You are better off buying a $200 wireless router on the web. Than that old 2-wire.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to paredown38

Premium Member

to paredown38
I keep the five routers that FIOS has sent me over the last seven years. They are all unused and gathering dust in a closet. But even though I've been told that with four of them, that they would never want back. I still keep them just in case they try to screw me one day.

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler to paredown38

to paredown38
I've been a FiOS customer since Feb, 2007. At that time, the TOS stated that if you maintained FiOS service for 2 years, the router was yours. They changed the rules, maybe 2 - 3 years ago, with V* retaining ownership of the router.

If I go on line and check my account now, it appears that V* THINKS they own my router (a Rev. C). But, according to my original TOS it became my property before the change in the TOS. I doubt that they would ever want the Rev. C back, at this point anyway.

almahix
Allegro ma non troppo
join:1999-10-18
Camarillo, CA

almahix

I have the new I, but also old A, C, D, & F models and no one has ever asked for a return after an update.
Avicennasis
join:2010-04-07
Pittsburgh, PA

Avicennasis to paredown38

to paredown38
said by brianiscool:

You can keep it if you pay the $200 bill. You are better off buying a $200 wireless router on the web.

I believe it's only $125. But the point still stands. There are better routers for the money.
said by almahix:

I have the new I, but also old A, C, D, & F models and no one has ever asked for a return after an update.

Revs A-D have been End Of Life'd - Verizon can't use them anymore and so doesn't need them back. The F, last I checked, they were still requesting. Not sure how yours slipped through the cracks. (I wouldn't blame you for keeping all the routers, tho. )

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

I keep the five routers that FIOS has sent me over the last seven years. They are all unused and gathering dust in a closet. But even though I've been told that with four of them, that they would never want back. I still keep them just in case they try to screw me one day.

Nice to see that they have a consistent policy
dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

dewdude to paredown38

to paredown38
Church my father was on the admin council at, for some reason, got sent two Rev I routers. They had an install problem and the tech sent a second router thinking that was the issue; but it required a tech replacing a faulty ONT.

I wound up with the unused Rev. I. My Rev. D is...sitting somewhere. I figured they'd never want it back since it had lousy Wireless-G wifi.
rChaz
join:2014-07-28
Hoboken, NJ

rChaz to Avicennasis

to Avicennasis
I just canceled my FiOS internet service today. They want their old Rev D router back or else I pay the $100 unreturned equipment charge. They're paying for the box & return label - so I guess it's worth it to them to collect the old junk. They may figure the return will make a rental fee more likely if I restart my service in the future.

Funny, the router provided by my new Optimum Online service is an "AC"1750 dual band - much better in the wireless department. Unfortunately it's a highly "managed" router which restrains the settings customizations you can access.
Avicennasis
join:2010-04-07
Pittsburgh, PA

Avicennasis

Ahh. Maybe that's just for trouble swaps, then. I learn something new every day. Probably won't use it, just hope that people don't return it and make money off the unreturned fee. Shame.
sonofsmog
join:2003-09-09
Ontario, CA

sonofsmog to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
I have about 6 myself. They dropship them AND bring them whenever they do an upgrade and they have done many many upgrades I doubt they will ever want them back.. But I still have them in any event.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

When I upgraded to the rev. i from a Westell router they sent the letter saying they didn't want my router back since it was old even though the letter never had any information on exactly what router (no model number or name), but when I went to cancel my service for a few months they indeed wanted it back or would charge me for it. I did give it back.

almahix
Allegro ma non troppo
join:1999-10-18
Camarillo, CA

almahix to dewdude

to dewdude
I'm keeping the old routers in case I need moca interface.