spc
Search similar:

uniqs
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

[Other] WLM won't recognize a link from IE's 'Send link to email'

Click for full size
In IE 11 when I go to File-> Send Link to E-Mail it just puts the link in as just basic text (black and not blue, not clickable and underlined).
Both ends are using the same version of IE and WLM, I think it's a problem on the sending end since it all started when I switched from Thunderbird to WLM.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

So what happens if you send a message to someone (maybe even yourself) and check it in something other then WLM? Like if you send it to someone who uses Outook, Thunderbird, or one of the many web browser e-mails (Yahoo, google, an ISP e-mail)? At that point does it show up as a link, or is it still just normal text?

If it shows up as normal text, that would point to WLM as the problem, as it does not convert it to a link when it is sent out. If it does, then it is converting it as it should.

--Brian
robman50

robman50

I just sent the link of this thread to my both of my email addresses (WLM and Hotmail). WLM sends and receives it as plain text but Hotmail will see it as a proper link.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

So then it appears to be a WLM issue then.

This may be as simple as seeing if WLM has options of how an e-mail is sent. I'm going to use Thunderbird here, as that is what I'm running.

In the options of Thunderbird, there is an area where you set the send options for your messages.

Here are all the options you have at that point

As far as the text about using the address book to specify how a person would like a message sent, this is what they are talking about

As you can see, for each person I can specify how they would like the message sent to them (either plain text, or html). I've never set that up for any person in my contact list, and have it as the default for Thunderbird, which is Unknown. So for me, messages are actually sent in both formats (plain text, and html) and I'm guessing that depending on how the user can get it, that is the message that actually gets delivered.

I'm also thinking somewhere in Thunderbird (or maybe its on the e-mail server side) to configure if a specific account can only receive html e-mails or plain text e-mails, or both. I would think there would be a place to do that, I just don't know where it would be.

So, there may be similar settings and configuration changes that you could make inside of WLM. I think it also has to do with how the e-mail is written. I remember seeing somewhere in Thunderbird that when I compose e-mails, I'm doing in HTML format (not plain text). This could be why when I send e-mails out, the plain text URL's are converted for me, as that could be a result of using HTML based e-mail.

--Brian
robman50

robman50

I do have similar options but everything is set to HTML and it still didn't correct the issue. As for the contacts it does not have that setting.
jsmiddleton4
join:2003-11-13
Glendale, AZ

jsmiddleton4

Something is amiss in your settings for default programs. Some times happens if you uninstall Google Chrome, etc.

I think there's a fix on Microsoft's FixIt section. You might be able to fix it in Windows Default Program settings on your own.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

I've been thinking a fresh install of the program.
Export all emails and contacts, uninstall the software and install a fresh copy.
Import back in the email and contacts.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

3 edits

Exidor

Premium Member

My Windows 7x64 system with IE 11 (Version 11.0.9600.17280) and WLM Version 2012 (Build 16.4.3528.0331) exhibits the same behaviour.

Multiple threads at MS Community Forums suggest that it is a "bug" introduced with IE 11. I don't often use the 'Send link to email' function so had not noticed the issue.

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· b3ab3007

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· d1e8c7ac

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 0c1d4dd0

»answers.microsoft.com/en ··· 62708598

A sort of workaround, although it is extra steps:

When using the "Send link by email" to send an email in HTML format:

Highlight the link (Select All) that appears in the email;

Right-click, select "Copy";

Right-click, select "Hyperlink...";

Select "Insert";

The link is now clickable (CTRL + click to follow the link from the composed message) and the link will be clickable for the intended recipient.