join:2005-12-06
Plainfield, IL

freshwater3

[Connectivity] Zoom 5341J intermittently loose connections

Click for full size
Settings
Click for full size
Logs
I am on Blast and normally gets 58/14 speeds.
I recently install Zoom 5341J and seeing issues like intermittent reboots few times in a Day. It normally comes back in 1-2 min. It happens more if I am downloading a big file.
Modem is connected directly to the PC via ethernet. Attaching logs if anyone can see any issues from the logs and configuration. I had the same issue with my old Netgear modem CMD31T but it was lot worst then Zoom. I think I am on the latest FW ver.

Also how to talk to Tier 3 support in Comcast because the First person (mostly phillipines) who comes online to troubleshoot the issues has no idea of what they talking about, they try to blame everything from Firewalls to Virus protections to Windows system to Cable wiring. And then they try to sell you a TV pkg and send a Tech for a charge..

Also observe sometime that if i am downloading a big file like 1G at ~ 2MB/sec then I cant browse internet if I am on my Corporate VPN Tunnel..

Thanks..

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

[Connectivity] Re: Zoom 5341J intermittently loose connections

You have one channel at 705MHz that is having problems with the large number of errors. Anything in the 700MHz range is prone to interference from Smartphone data frequencies. You may be getting noise bursts so bad it's losing sync.
freshwater3
Plainfield, IL

freshwater3

You might be right, I do have ATT Smartphone on 4G LTE which we all know use AWS Band (700Mhz). That phone sit very close to the modem it might be causing that interference. I will try now switching my phone to Wifi and use the voice on the phone which normally use 800/1900 MHz.

So all those T3 Critical errors in the Logs are from Channel 3 when it reboots or loose connections I guess.

Thanks for your insight and observation..
freshwater3

1 recommendation

freshwater3

Re: [Connectivity] Zoom 5341J intermittently loose connections

Today I saw one Drop around noon. Then I try one more thing, I turned Off IPv6 on my PCs and even on the asus Router, Couldnt find how to turned it off on the modem itself.
Since then I have not seen any more T3 errors. I read that T3 is an uplink error and IPv6 might be causing it.. I really dont need IPv6 its more for Service providers IP scheme since they running out of ips.. Early this yr I am seeing all these issues when IPv6 was introduced in the mix by TWC and Comcast.

Lets see if this was the issue causing T3 errors..

Zenit_IIfx
The system is the solution
Premium Member
join:2012-05-07
Purcellville, VA
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Zenit_IIfx

Premium Member

IPv6 should not be causing these issues....I would definitely lean to cellular interference.

Do you have any unterminated outlets/ports on splitters? Unterminated outlets can act as an antenna. Check that all coax connections are hand-tight, including those in the box on the side of the home.

I don't like IPv6 myself, the addresses are a pain to read or type in. Its a necessary evil - we are running out of v4 addresses and there is not enough v4 addresses for everyone.

One more thought - your downstream signal levels are not relatively level. Up to a 5db difference between chanels is not a good sign.

Checking for loose connections should help troubleshoot.

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

2 edits

1 recommendation

MDA

Premium Member

said by Zenit_IIfx:

I don't like IPv6 myself, the addresses are a pain to read or type in. Its a necessary evil - we are running out of v4 addresses and there is not enough v4 addresses for everyone.

Sorry for being off-topic, but NAT-less addressing (gamers + Less processing overhead in router), IPsec built-in (less processing overhead in router), QoS flags built-in (less processing overhead in router), Plug-n-play setup are some reasons why IPv6 is a big advantage over the experimental and military science-based IPv4 internet.

I agree as a student in computer networking that its much harder to recognize v6 addressing, unless you learn steps like converting MAC address to IPv6 address (SLAAC only without RFC4941 privacy extensions) and understanding what each v6 prefix means (2001:: is like Class A of v4 addresses [ISP given address], 2601:: routable LAN prefix given from delegation/router (like Class C), etc.)

On topic, could also be a faulty splitter or amp that is going bad if signal stats are starting to be offset.
freshwater3
Plainfield, IL

1 recommendation

freshwater3

Just an update.

I dont have a single drop since noon yesterday, my log file has nothing since noon yesterday. Before that I was getting many T3 timeouts every day.

I like what I am seeing and will keep monitoring what really fix the issue so far, RF Interference or IPv6 OFF..

MDA
Auto Negotiating
Premium Member
join:2013-09-10
Minneapolis, MN
Netgear CM600
Asus RT-AC66U B1

1 recommendation

MDA

Premium Member

said by freshwater3:

Just an update.

I dont have a single drop since noon yesterday, my log file has nothing since noon yesterday. Before that I was getting many T3 timeouts every day.

I like what I am seeing and will keep monitoring what really fix the issue so far, RF Interference or IPv6 OFF..

It's not IPv6 as it doesn't coincide with the same layer in the internet as DOCSIS/RF which is a layer deeper than what IPv6 resides on. Probably the 700mhz A blockspectrum that Zenit mentioned or external line issues.

If you have a compatible router, keep v6 on for future reasons.
freshwater3
Plainfield, IL

freshwater3

Knock on the Wood Still not a single drop or error.
Also move to Extreme pkg and seeing no issues.

Seeing speeds of 128/26 from Asus Wireless Router "N66U" both LAN and WiFi connections. Wifi using 5G GHz. I was really surprise to see Laptop giving me north of 125/22 via Wifi connection.