spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Troy
@184.189.92.x

Troy

Anon

[ALL] Modem Choices

I recently purchased a new Motorola SBG6580. The modem seems to work perfect, however I am having many issues with WiFi. I am going to attempt to return it and purchase something else. After many reviews it appears it is recommended to use two separate devices. I would like to know what is the best Docis 3.0 modem to buy. I will also look into purchasing a new router as well. After disconnecting the SBG6580 I temporally connected a Cisco DPQ3212 modem I had gotten from Cox along with a Cisco Wireless N router until I purchase something else. I would like to know if the Cisco DPQ3212 is suitable to use or is there anything better on the market to use. I am currently on the 25mb service fixing to be doubled to the 50mb service.
Hoss
Sauters A Walrus
join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK

Hoss

The 3212 is perfectly acceptable to use in this manner. It is the exact EMTA I'm using and have used for three years with no problems whatsoever. I'm on 100mb service and it performs very well.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA

odog to Troy

Premium Member

to Troy
Agreed, the DPQ3212 is a pretty standard 8x4 cable modem.
macwhiz
join:2014-06-14
North Granby, CT

macwhiz to Troy

to Troy
I'm very happy with my Zoom 5341J. I have Cox Ultimate, and I routinely get speeds in the neighborhood of 170 down/25 up.

Of course, you'll probably need something better than a consumer-grade router/firewall to get those speeds, and you'll need a properly designed wired Gigabit Ethernet network in your house. Getting sustained speeds in that range over WiFi is beyond most consumer-grade equipment in many home environments.