Search similar:

uniqs

syangwar
@71.14.104.x

syangwar

Anon

[HVAC] Honeywell RTH2310 thermostat wiring issue

Hello,

I am having an issue with the wiring of my thermostat. Under the current configuration, R-->R/RC, White-->W, Blue -->Y, Green -->G, Yellow-->not inserted into anything.

While the AC is working fine in Auto Mode, the Heater is not. The fan kicks on and is pumping air through the vents but no hot air is coming through. What am I missing? Any thoughts? We had an HVAC tech here doing work on the AC in early summer and I asked him to fix my poor wiring of the thermostat (because I messed it up troubleshooting the AC problems). He fixed it, as in getting the AC to work again but now it's cooling down I need to make sure the heater will work in Auto mode.

Your thoughts are appreciated!
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

[HVAC] Re: Honeywell RTH2310 thermostat wiring issue

heatpump? prolly need to wire the reversing valve

pretty sure yellow is ac compressor turn on

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

That particular thermostat is not compatible with heat pumps. OP, check to make sure the jumper between Rc and Rh is there.

syangwar
@71.14.104.x

syangwar to LittleBill

Anon

to LittleBill
Click for full size
current wiring
Click for full size
current wiring
Thanks for responding!

Sorry but I'm pretty ignorant to this stuff unfortunately. Usually when the heat kicks on, I can hear the gas kick in and after a 30 seconds to a minute or so the warm air starts pumping through the vents.

That's interesting that you say that about the yellow wire, because the AC works properly. It operates fine in both the on and auto positions. However, I've never been able to get the Heat to operate in the Auto position, only the On position. Which is problematic because I have a baby due in December and I can't do what I did last year in just turning it on when the house got down to 48 degrees in the middle of the night (plus my mother in law is coming too and I won't hear the end of it unless I get it fixed).

Anyway, I am attaching a pic of the current wiring set up. More thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex

Premium Member

Re: Honeywell RTH2310 thermostat wiring issue

First, are you sure of the model number because the manual doesn't match up with your photo.

Unfortunately, you're going to need to do some troubleshooting at the furnace. First, you would need to check the wiring at the furnace to ensure the wiring there matches up to the wiring at the thermostat. If it doesn't, then moving some wires around could easily solve the problem. If the wires do match up, then you would need to check other things, which could be beyond your abilities. Then, you would need to call back your HVAC contractor.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to syangwar

MVM

to syangwar

Re: [HVAC] Honeywell RTH2310 thermostat wiring issue

Another thing, AUTO and ON only applies to manually operating the blower while ON and has nothing to do with heating or cooling.

syangwar
@71.14.104.x

syangwar

Anon

Here is the exact model # from the back of the thermostat:
RTHL2310B1008

The jumper looks like it's intact and secure.

Thanks Jack B, learn something new everyday!

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

Try moving that switch on the back to the "electric or heat pump" position.

/M
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful

Premium Member

said by mackey:

Try moving that switch on the back to the "electric or heat pump" position.

Once that is done, perhaps the dangling yellow wire can be connected to Y instead of the blue wire?

I am imagining that blue wire, now connected to Y, is actually 24V common ... and thermostat wants to connect it to R/Rc.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 recommendation

mackey

Premium Member

said by lutful:

Once that is done, perhaps the dangling yellow wire can be connected to Y instead of the blue wire?

I am imagining that blue wire, now connected to Y, is actually 24V common ... and thermostat wants to connect it to R/Rc.

No, the OP said the A/C is working fine, and if that blue wire was common then it would have directly shorted it to red the first time it tried to turn the A/C on.

/M

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

I wish I had the corner on the market for the fuses used to protect these things.