spc
Search similar:

uniqs

fran
@70.193.131.x

fran

Anon

[Speed Issues] Have 100/5 fastest charter modem - speeds 16/0

Hi - have been having speed issues for days. max speed test results 19.78Mbps download and upload times out each time. I subscribe to Charters fastest service and have a business modem. Interestingly, when connected by cable to the modem speed is REDUCED.

I do have a ton of TCP/UDP connections open - Malwarebytes & Bitdefender haven't discovered any spyware.

Also, I am connected right now on Verizon Mobile hot spot - speed test : 39.08/9.84Mbps.

I've had speed issues with Charter regularly -sometimes helps to disconnect/reconnect moden. Usually have to call a get some signal "pushed" to my modem.

Can anyone tell me what is really going on? Why would my mobile phone connection be so much better than Charter's High speed?
tbgeo
join:2003-05-20
Los Angeles, CA

tbgeo

Can I guess the fancy part they use to distribute signals in your neighborhood has been overcome by heat exhaustion and is slowly dying?
Or, in another thread, a business owner just got chewed out for complaining about his business modem.
So,
The modem?
Don't they have line-monitor tools here?
I'm re-reading my own post and it sounds all wrong, you probably hoped a tech could read you IP address and tell you stuff about that area.
I hope you find out something soon.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to fran

Premium Member

to fran
Have you had a tech onsite to test?

Swapping cables and/or removing a router and connecting directly to the modem only confirms there is a modem/connectivity issue. You need to call and report the issue. First, so that if/when the problem continues, you can get reimbursed. Second, to have a tech investigate.

Most likely cause would be the modem or signal.
ZackofSteel
join:2014-10-03
U.S.A.

ZackofSteel to fran

to fran
I am having this exact issue in Kearney, NE. I just posted a thread about it, but it is going through verification. Here is an excerpt:
quote:
I have paid for Ultra 100/5 for almost 3 years now in Kearney, NE 68845. We were switched to digital a week into September. After the switch, my speeds were finally 100/5 consistently for about a week. I went on a trip for about 5 days, and upon returning my speeds are awful.

I am consistently getting 17-20Mb download and the upload simply times out or will pull through at .1-.2Mb. Yes, that is .1Mb, as in 100 Kilobits.

-I have power-cycled the modem and router, disconnecting the power cords for 1m+.
-Here are screenshots of all the Cable Modem pages: »imgur.com/a/Yz1zD
-I have tested the speed on two wired PCs and two wired PS3s.
-I have done tests with just the cable modem connected to each device.
-I have contacted support and they said there is no report of an outage in my area and that my modem signals look perfect. They said I could have a technician come to my house, but at 8AM (lol). I said I did not want another technician in my house for the 6th+ time to tell me my signal is perfect while the problem is with the network.

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

said by ZackofSteel:

I am having this exact issue in Kearney, NE. I just posted a thread about it, but it is going through verification. Here is an excerpt:

quote:
I have paid for Ultra 100/5 for almost 3 years now in Kearney, NE 68845. We were switched to digital a week into September. After the switch, my speeds were finally 100/5 consistently for about a week. I went on a trip for about 5 days, and upon returning my speeds are awful.

I am consistently getting 17-20Mb download and the upload simply times out or will pull through at .1-.2Mb. Yes, that is .1Mb, as in 100 Kilobits.

-I have power-cycled the modem and router, disconnecting the power cords for 1m+.
-Here are screenshots of all the Cable Modem pages: »imgur.com/a/Yz1zD
-I have tested the speed on two wired PCs and two wired PS3s.
-I have done tests with just the cable modem connected to each device.
-I have contacted support and they said there is no report of an outage in my area and that my modem signals look perfect. They said I could have a technician come to my house, but at 8AM (lol). I said I did not want another technician in my house for the 6th+ time to tell me my signal is perfect while the problem is with the network.

the same applies. keep calling and reporting the issue. Even if you don't want a technician onsite.

Having said that, after the conversion in my area, I went through several weeks of inconsistent/fluctuating speeds before everything settle down to normal. And based on other reports here, that appears to be common.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium Member
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL

neofate to fran

Premium Member

to fran
I'd have to come test some things with your actual lines, ped, demarc, splitters, etc..

But.. that's unacceptable obviously.

You say you have a business modem, are you on a the Business service plan?

Charter is supposed to guarantee Business customers.. vs. Residential has no Guarantee.

First line is to get tech out.

Ask him to check your Ped, your Tap plate -- Your Drop (it's the line going from Pedestal to your House).. Any splitters.. and the line coming from the wall itself.

(It's all stuff he or she should do by default.. but sometimes bringing it up helps.. )

Post your signal levels.

Go to 192.168.100.1

Give us your Downstream Rx and Upstream Tx powerlevels on all channels.. and Signal to Noise SNR levels.

Look at these levels when your internet goes faster.. take a screenshot of it for example.. or write it down.

Then when it's going very slow.. look at them again.

let us know what these values are.

I can speculate all day on potential reasons.. but there are quite a few.

Someone mentioned heat -- Heat will generally cause further attenuation in the Drop .. and then as it gets colder the opposite happens. (this is normal.. but can cause signals to fall outside of spec).

If you have trouble with a tech or two getting things fixed.. subscribe to business temporarily.. they will handle this issue in a different manner with a different level of "importance" if you will, than a residential customer. (This is a last resort due to cost.. but if down the line you get frustrated.. it's an option).

Take care,