uniqs
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to engineercarl

Premium Member

to engineercarl

Re: [General] Free internet to phone for radio contests (dialing)

said by engineercarl:

EDIT: Whoops! After fact research, the Kevin I was speaking of was Kevin Poulsen....

He's quite a fascinating fellow....
»www.nndb.com/people/453/ ··· 0022387/

engineercarl
Premium Member
join:2003-02-24
Washington, DC

engineercarl

Premium Member

That's the guy.

Between the two Kevins, Pacific Bell had quite a case of heartburn for many years.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

I got the phone to ring (there end) and it rang and rang, then I got an operator saying 'There is no one available to take your call'. I know they say radio DJ's sometime let the phone just ring before they pick up but I don't think these guys do that since if I dialed a second later I would get the busy signal. They only have one line so why does this happen?
Stewart
join:2005-07-13

Stewart

said by robman50:

I got the phone to ring (there end) and it rang and rang, then I got an operator saying 'There is no one available to take your call'. I know they say radio DJ's sometime let the phone just ring before they pick up but I don't think these guys do that since if I dialed a second later I would get the busy signal. They only have one line so why does this happen?

If you want an answer, please provide some context.

What device and service are you using to make the call?

Does this device / service work properly when you dial a "normal" number, such as your own mobile or a friend's? If so, what happens if you hang up for one second then try to call again?

What happens when you call the station (not during a contest) from your mobile or landline?
robman50

robman50

- Normal corded home telephone.
- Yes, it redials and preforms normally.
- It rings until they pick it up.

Could it be that there where so many incoming calls at the time that the system on there end went all wacky? Like they may have 100+ calls coming in at the same time on only one line.
robman50

robman50

What do you guys suppose I do when the destination number gets overloaded? Should I redial?
robman50

robman50 to cybersaga

to cybersaga
said by cybersaga:

Their number is with Bell:

Information about number 19053741051:
CNAM: NIAGARA FLS ON
LRN: 19053741051
State: ON
Ratecenter: NIAGARAFLS
LATA: 888
OCN: 8051
Company: BELL ONTARIO
Prefix_Type: ILEC

How did you get all that info?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by robman50:

How did you get all that info?

See my post for Alcazar Networks, follow the instructions carefully.

»Re: [General] Checking Carrier and CNAM real-time information
robman50

robman50

Ok, but it's a little different though. Yours has more detailed info.
LRN: 19053741051
OCN: 8051
LATA: 851
CITY: NIAGARA FALLS
STATE: ON
JURISDICTION: INDETERMINATE
LEC: Bell Canada
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Then the other must be from Call With Us (CWU) North American Number Lookup.
robman50

robman50

Okay, thanks. It appears to be a paid service.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga

Yeah it is. I opened an account with them and put $5 in the account just for that service. They charge a fraction of a cent for each lookup (.6c or something like that). It's handy to have every once in a while.

There are free services for the same thing, but I've found CallWithUs to be the most accurate, especially for phone numbers that have been recently ported.
robman50

robman50

When I listen to the winners for the My 2day Payday, everyone seems to be from St. Catharines, Niagara Falls, Fort Erie and Port Colborne area. It 'feels' like everything to the west of the region is blocked off. lol.
Since the station is registered under Niagara Falls and Fort Erie, could the people from those areas have an advantage for calling in faster?
robman50

robman50 to cybersaga

to cybersaga
When I enter my home phone number is shows up as Bell even though I have Cogeco. Same thing with my neighbours who have TekSavvy it shows up as Bell as well.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

TekSavvy uses Bell and several other companies for last mile service (last km service?)

Cogeco might do some of that as well.

cybersaga
join:2011-12-19
Selby, ON

cybersaga to robman50

to robman50
said by robman50:

When I enter my home phone number is shows up as Bell even though I have Cogeco. Same thing with my neighbours who have TekSavvy it shows up as Bell as well.

Using the CallWithUs lookup?

Any lookup can only show the Local Exchange Carrier (LEC) that services the number. That can either be an incumbent (ILEC, like Bell) or a competitive one (CLEC). Most companies that offer phone service are not their own LEC.

Exceptions (in Canada) include Bell, of course. Also Fibernetics is a CLEC and runs Freephonline/Fongo.

If your number shows up as Bell, that means that when someone calls your number, the call goes through Bell first. Then Bell sends the call to Cogeco, who sends the call to you.

Outgoing works entirely different, but Cogeco may use Bell for making outgoing calls (called "termination"), instead of having another company in between.
cybersaga

cybersaga to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Cogeco might do some of that as well.

Cogeco is the incumbent cable company here, so they use their own last mile. Their phone service is kind of like VoIP through their internet service, but designed to only work through the modem on your account. That way, it can be considered "Fixed VoIP service" for the purposes of 911.
robman50

robman50

I'm using my home phone and I still haven't got through. Maybe I should stop punching in the numbers before the cue and press the last one when the time comes. Maybe I am to quick and it's dialing out soon as the DJ clears the lines so at that second I get the busy tone?
I will try punching all 10 digits next time really quick.