Premium Member

on a roll

go apple!

appldroid
@66.87.72.x

1 recommendation

appldroid

Anon

I work in a large IT shop of F300 company that develops both Android/iOS apps and we are finding more issues with our apps on iOS8. Apple needs to ensure backwards compatibility with iOS7 apps. iOS fragmentation is getting worse while Android is dealing with theirs. We used to UAT (user acceptance test) on just a few iOS devices and a bunch of Android devices. Now we just test Android devices with each version of Android and are now adding more iOS devices. IE, iPhone 2/3 and oldest iPad can't get iOS8 meanwhile Google has put out the same version of Google Services (APIs that devs use) across all versions back to Android 2.x - only about 5% of Android devices don't have 2.x or higher.

The result is that newer Android apps are more stable on old version of Android than newer iOS apps across new or older versions of iOS. There are other tests that show iOS apps are more buggy than Android across many OS versions/devices.

It used to be easier to develop iOS apps than Android but that's not really the case anymore. And now maintenance of iOS apps is a pain across versions of phones compared to Android. Although gaming dev still probably easier on iOS.

iOS still leads in app revenue but Android took over for total apps and downloads and is closing in fast on passing iOS apps in revenue, developers are going to take note. While developers will support iOS as long as Apple sells millions, the tide may shift towards developing for Android first.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

1 recommendation

spewak to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
You mean on a "Bender"!

nopear4me
@74.115.237.x

nopear4me to appldroid

Anon

to appldroid
Why? They have a track record of pushing the EOL *end of life) phase on it's products, they just moved the date up to 18 months instead of 36. How many of you found many apps "broke" when your first gen ipod touch got to v3? You couldn't update your OS and your apps started dying one by one. Made my 1stGen ipod what it was meant to be. Music player only. I say stop whining and abandon the platform. When apples looses MORE market share and developers leave in droves, they will conform, or die!