spc
Search similar:

uniqs

John G
@108.34.186.x

John G

Anon

[Networking] MI424WR unstable connection with one hard-wired device

Hello everyone. I'm obviously new here and hoping someone would be so kind as to help me out. I recently upgraded my Verizon FIOS service and since then I've had problems getting a stable internet connection on my Marantz AV8801 surround sound processor. The unit is equipped with a 10/100 4 port hub for internet connectivity. I can get an internet connection for anywhere from 20 seconds to a minute and then it drops and reacquires after a few minutes. This happens over and over again. I'm using an Actiontec MI414WR rev. I router and an Actiontec WCB3000N range extender. The 8801 is plugged into the ethernet on the range extender. I've had Verizon over twice. We've replaced the router and the range extender. The issue persists. I tried plugging the Marantz directly into the MI424WR and the problem is still there.

The merchant where I purchased the Marantz AV8801 was even nice enough to loan me a SECOND AV8801. The problem still happens even on the second pre-amp.

I've checked/replaced all coax and ethernet cables. I disabled the wi-fi radios on the range extender. I've tested the ethernet ports on the range extender with an Apple TV and they are fine. I can even connect the Apple TV to the 8801 network hub and it functions, so the 8801 is passing through a good internet signal. For whatever reason, the Marantz won't hold hands with my router for more than a minute or so.

I've disabled DNS. I have a static IP set on the router and the same static IP set on the Marantz.

After speaking with Marantz customer service, we thought it might be a port-forwarding issue. I've opened ports 3813, 443, 3689, 554, and 5353 for the IP address associated with the 8801. I got the port numbers from Marantz.

I also read that it might be a Quality Of Service (QoS) issue with some wireless devices bumping off the Marantz . I've disabled WMM on the router to theoretically prevent that.

Network connectivity isn't really a big deal, but I went way over-budget for this device and I would like it to function properly. I enjoy internet radio, Pandora, and the ability to control my entertainment from my iPad. That's all gone.

My latest adventure was configuring a spare MI424WR as a MoCa bridge and replacing the range extender with the second MI424WR. My Apple TV connected but the Marantz had the same problem.

Every other device on the network (wired and wifi) works flawlessly.

This all started when I bumped my internet up to 75/75 and got new TV boxes. I'm at the end of my rope. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
John

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by John G :

This all started when I bumped my internet up to 75/75 and got new TV boxes.

VMS boxes, up from older style?

John G
@108.34.186.x

John G

Anon

Yes... the latest boxes that allow for watching and recording up to 12 channels.
John G

John G to birdfeedr

Anon

to birdfeedr
birdfeedr... just noticed you are in Warwick RI. I'm in East Greenwich. Small world!

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 edit

birdfeedr

MVM

Certainly small state.

My thinking is VMS tuner delivers to remote via IP, like VOD. One thought would be to disconnect it temporarily. Or start with bare minimum connected devices to router.

In the past, IGMP proxy setting caused connection problems. You should search forum for that keyword. You will find reference to internal link to that setting which was not visible in the GUI.

In this case, I don't know if VMS relies on that setting which is ON by default.

[edit to add] See this post for the link. »Re: [Networking] MI424WR Rev. I causing Hawking Access Point to crash

John G
@108.34.186.x

John G

Anon

Thanks to all for the replies. I regret to inform that I'm still having the problem. I've tried disabling IGMP and IGMP proxy settings, and I've connected my device directly to the router with my main FIOS TV box disconnected.

I've run out of ideas.

Thanks again to all who tried to help.

Best,
John

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

1 more test. Please disconnect ALL stbs from the coax. Connect your av sys directly to the router. See iff it still drops

John G
@108.34.186.x

John G

Anon

I've disconnected the coax from all of my STBs and connected the pre-amp directly to the router. Still having the connectivity issue.

This is a real head scratcher. Everything worked great before I upgraded my FIOS service. There's obviously a compatibility issue with the new FIOS equipment and my AV amp, but I can't seem to figure it out.
John G

John G

Anon

MARANTZ AV8801 INTERNET CONNECTIVITY PROBLEM SOLVED

So after messing with my router, FIOS STBs, and AV system for two weeks, I figured it out.

About a month ago, I installed two Belkin We-Mo switches to control lamps via w-fi. I never even gave them a second thought because they only get used when I'm away or my wife gets home late. I removed the We-Mo switches and the 8801 connects to the internet again.

FYI... even opening the WE-MO app on my iPad causes the 8801 to lose connectivity. There's definitely an issue here.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

Best,
John
John G

John G

Anon

Got a call from Verizon this morning. It's confirmed. Belkin We Mo switches wreak havoc with music streaming, including Airplay, devices.
gs0b
join:2014-08-14
Bucks, PA

gs0b

And that is why I never buy Belkin products.