All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Thenewguy201
join:2013-07-27

Thenewguy201

[ONT] Coaxial or Ethernet for latency.

I heard that Ethernet has lower latency than Ethernet for verizon fios. Which one is better for a 25mbps line and are there any downsides of using one over the other or is one better overall, is it easy to set up the Ethernet connection yourself? I want to use it for lower latency but only if it's a decent jump and it has no impact on on anything else. Also will it have any difference if i'm using a wired connection instead of wireless?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

The improvement is only a few ms when switching from coax to ethernet, so the downside is running the cable and getting the ONT switched over to ethernet WAN data. An upside is the ability to connect pretty much any off-the-shelf router for your internet connection in case the Actiontec takes a dive. MoCA coax WAN router is hard to find and MoCA bridges, while available, are simply another device and you have to make sure it operates on the WAN frequency. If you're looking for lower latency, a wired connection is always preferred over wireless.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Thenewguy201

MVM

to Thenewguy201
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Coax or Ethernet install?

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to Thenewguy201

to Thenewguy201
they need to update that page, Cat6 has been very cost efficient now for years and has gigabit throuput which is 1000/1000, Cat5 is 100/100, but if you have any tier up to the 75/75(which gets 85/85 for TV overhead) wont be affected

also the simple fact you can use your own router which will allow you to better manage your network, vs the Actiontec's locked QoS settings for boxes and overriding changes to rules that could be set by VZ at any time.
dewdude
pfSense on xcp-ng Asterisk geek
join:2010-03-27
Manassas, VA
·voip.ms
(Software) pfSense
(Software) DD-WRT

dewdude to Thenewguy201

to Thenewguy201
said by Thenewguy201:

I heard that Ethernet has lower latency than Ethernet for verizon fios.

It's marginal. When I first swapped, I saw maybe a ms of improvement. The upgrade to 75/75 improved it a few more ms. The coax itself doesn't really add any latency unless the MoCA controllers are faulty.
said by birdfeedr:

getting the ONT switched over to ethernet WAN data

This was easy; they can take care of it in the direct forum. I posted my information and was switched over to Ethernet within a half-hour. I still kept the Actiontec doing it's duty and largely had to drill a hole for one ethernet cable outside; figured I'd run two.
said by birdfeedr:

If you're looking for lower latency, a wired connection is always preferred over wireless.

My own Wireless-N access-point would give me pretty close to wired performance. Wireless itself isn't bad; but you need to be on a totally empty channel and empty space. Basically, no neighbors, no other wifi, and no one on it but you. That's not realistic for 99% of people; so wired is the way to go.
said by eival:

Cat5 is 100/100

Yes, Category 5 is only rated for 100mbps; however, Cat5E, which seems to have been the standard for years now is able to support GigE. I'm using a piece of Cat5E for my ONT to Actiontec connection; and it's doing GigE just fine.