spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Myu
join:2014-09-25

Myu

[Connectivity] Motorola SB6141 disconnecting daily

Click for full size
The performance of my internet intermittently drops, and sometimes my internet disconnects all together. This started a month or two ago. Looking at the logs the don't look good. Also the uptime of the modem suggest it is rebooting. I have attached a screenshot of the log tab. Can someone help me understand what might be happening so I can get it fixed?

Thank you for looking.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

take a look at this

»Comcast High Speed Internet FAQ »What should my Signal Levels be?

post back your signal levels from »192.168.100.1
Myu

Myu

Click for full size
Sure, they always seem okay when I look at them. However the modem in inaccessible when the disconnect happens so I can't say if they change or not.

The ASUS router between the modem still is accessible, does not log any errors except that the wan port is disconnected.

Another thing I am noticing is making connections seem to be difficult, like starting a video stream from youtube, crunchyroll, or amazon prime. Each take a very long time like 45seconds-1 minute, once the connection is established playback is smooth. Used to take 1-3 seconds to establish the connection. This behavior is also seen when downloading files and is intermittent. My speeds are good, but it takes a long time to establish the connection. Couple months ago I did not have this problem, or at least it was not noticeable.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

telcodad

MVM

All your displayed signal levels and SNRs look to be within the acceptable ranges, but as your log file shows T3 and T4 timeouts along with ranging problems, you may have an upstream noise issue then.

The one key item that you can't see is the upstream SNR (uSNR) at the CMTS end.

I would recommend that you call Comcast to have them check your uSNR readings or request a tech visit to check out your upstream noise levels.

EDIT: One thing to you can do before calling Comcast, is to check your system for some common causes of excessive upstream noise:

1) Check that there are terminators on all unused cable outlets and any unused splitter ports.

2) Make sure that all your coax fittings are tight and not corroded. Old, crimped-on connectors can also cause problems.

3) Check that your cabling is not worn, cracked, chewed, etc., and that RG-6 type coax is used, as older RG-59 coax frequently has poor shielding.

There have also been reports that using the coax surge protector in some combination AC/telephone/RF surge protection devices has caused noise problems.
freshwater3
join:2005-12-06
Plainfield, IL

freshwater3 to Myu

to Myu
Try disabling IPv6 on the PCs you are using. Just use IPv4.
I had the same issue with my Zoom and once I disable IPv6 all problems gone .

Just give a try and see if it helps .
Myu

Myu to telcodad

to telcodad
I live in an apartment. There have been a few residents that have moved out and moved in my building. Would leaks and configurations of their equipment make a difference in my connection?

RG-6 is in use. My fittings are tight. My line goes right into the modem, I do not have any protectors in between. Unfortunately my extra outlets are not terminated, I'll work to get that done.

Basically the suspension right now is my equipment is not the issue, it is suggesting a line issue of some kind?

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Myu:

I live in an apartment. There have been a few residents that have moved out and moved in my building. Would leaks and configurations of their equipment make a difference in my connection?

Yes, it's possible that something another resident is doing could inject noise into the common upstream path out of your building.
said by Myu:

Unfortunately my extra outlets are not terminated, I'll work to get that done.

Basically the suspicion right now is my equipment is not the issue, it is suggesting a line issue of some kind?

If you don't see any iimprovement after you terminate those extra outlets, then yes, you should try calling Comcast to have them check your uSNR readings.
freshwater3
join:2005-12-06
Plainfield, IL

freshwater3 to Myu

to Myu
Did you try calling SB6141 Support. They are much better in responding and they will go with you over all these readings. And at least call will be answered by someone in USA who knows about these modems and Rf levels..
Myu

Myu

Been watching the logs more closely and I am seeing this seems to be happening everyday and there is not a pattern to the times.

I sent Motorola an email about the modem. Waiting for a response.

I contacted Comcast chat, this is the information they gave me. They also gave me an advanced support number.

Do these numbers look okay? Anything confirming a possible line issue?

Transmit Power Level (upstream) via dBmV

9/20- 43
9/21 - 44.47
9/22 - 41.87
9/23 - 42.5
9/24 - 41.7
9/25 - 42.17

CMTS Receive Power Level (upstream) via dBmV

9/20 - -0.1
9/20 - -0.1
9/22 - -0.03
9/23 - 0.07
9/24 - 0.03
9/25 - 0

Upstream Signal Quality (SNR) via dB

9/20 - 33.47
9/21 - 31
9/22 - 33.87
9/22 - 33.87
9/23 - 33.47
9/24 - 34.53
9/25 - 35.13

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Myu:

I contacted Comcast chat, this is the information they gave me. They also gave me an advanced support number.

Do these numbers look okay? Anything confirming a possible line issue?

Transmit Power Level (upstream) via dBmV

CMTS Receive Power Level (upstream) via dBmV

Upstream Signal Quality (SNR) via dB

Yes, your upstream power levels look fine and CMTS Receive Power Level is usually close to 0 dBmV, as that's what the CMTS tries to adjust all the modems' upstream power levels so they're all received at its end at that level.

As far as the Upstream SNR (uSNR) readings, they should be 30 dB or higher, which yours all are. However, I don't know if those are the average or minimum readings for each day though.

So as your signal levels are seem OK, maybe you should now PM netcool See Profile and see if he can push that new SB6141 firmware version to your modem which, by chance, may fix your problem.
Myu

Myu

These are averages for the day.