All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

bigballer
@205.214.216.x

bigballer

Anon

[Connectivity] How to check what my channel bonding is on my node?

Exactly as topic appears.

I want to know if comcast has deployed 8 downstream channels on my local node yet?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

easy way is an 8/4 or higher channel modem, but sometime you can tell by the numbering scheme.
asking a local tech (guy on the street)
Or asking (assuming you are registered here at DSLR) asking netcool See Profile or NetDog See Profile in a PM (include your modem MAC, serial # and account # so they can locate your modem and node quickly)
nysports4evr
Premium Member
join:2010-01-23

nysports4evr to bigballer

Premium Member

to bigballer
I feel bad for netcool and his Inbox lately.

bigballer
@205.214.216.x

bigballer

Anon

I asked chat on comcast but they didn't even know what I was talking about.

Typical.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

CHAT won't have the access, in theory most phone CSR's should but either don't or don't know how to use the tools to check.
This is not an unreasonable question for the net ninja's ( netcool See Profile or NetDog See Profile) and not hard for them to do if you give them all your info to start.
Brocktoon
join:2009-08-11
Fairless Hills, PA

Brocktoon to bigballer

to bigballer
I *think* most modems display the downstream channel ID as 1-8. When I was running my older 4x4 modem, I would sometimes see the bonded channels as something like 1,3,6,7. Seeing those channel #s, I knew they were running 8 downstream.

Kasoah
join:2013-08-20
Merced, CA

Kasoah to bigballer

to bigballer
said by bigballer :

I asked chat on comcast but they didn't even know what I was talking about.

Typical.

Well yes, they get paid minimum wage if they are even located in the US. You can't expect much out of it.
Kasoah

Kasoah to Brocktoon

to Brocktoon
said by Brocktoon:

I *think* most modems display the downstream channel ID as 1-8. When I was running my older 4x4 modem, I would sometimes see the bonded channels as something like 1,3,6,7. Seeing those channel #s, I knew they were running 8 downstream.

That way works.

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to bigballer

Premium Member

to bigballer
What modem do you have? I would check the modem page for how many channels you have..
bigballer
join:2014-09-25

2 edits

bigballer

I'm still running an old school docsis 2.0 modem so won't work

Yeah, probably should upgrade, but no point I suppose since I'm only on a 6 mbps tier.
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

1 recommendation

jm101

said by bigballer:

Yeah, probably should upgrade, but no point I suppose since I'm only on a 6 mbps tier.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but a DOCSIS 3 device should still help. Also DOCSIS 2 will be phased out eventually from what I understand.
bigballer

bigballer

Yeah it probably will help, even with my low speed tier.

I'll probably just run this modem until it dies or reaches end of life support and then upgrade to a 16x4 modem or docsis 3.1 or whatever.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

2 recommendations

telcodad to jm101

MVM

to jm101
said by jm101:

said by bigballer:

Someone correct me if I am wrong but a DOCSIS 3 device should still help. Also DOCSIS 2 will be phased out eventually from what I understand.

Yes, you are correct, as even on the lower speed tiers, a DOCSIS 3 modem can provide benefits due to its channel bonding capability.

The use of multiple bonded channels balances the load among them and helps insure that all subscribers that share a node receive their specified data speeds during times of heavy usage (like during the 7 to 11 PM primetime).

So, by avoiding congestion on particular channels, the use of channel bonding benefits other users, and it helps Comcast also, as it distributes the load across all their channels.

That's one reason why Comcast is now encouraging all of their HSI subscribers to move to DOCSIS 3 devices now: »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 2.0 Modem
jm101
join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

jm101

said by telcodad:

said by jm101:

said by bigballer:

Yes, you are correct, as even on the lower speed tiers, a DOCSIS 3 modem can provide benefits due to its channel bonding capability.

The use of multiple bonded channels balances the load among them and helps insure that all subscribers that share a node receive their specified data speeds during times of heavy usage (like during the 7 to 11 PM primetime).

So, by avoiding congestion on particular channels, the use of channel bonding benefits other users, and it helps Comcast also, as it distributes the load across all their channels.

That's one reason why Comcast is now encouraging all of their HSI subscribers to move to DOCSIS 3 devices now: »[Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 2.0 Modem

Thanks telcodad for emphasizing.

It seems like the Zoom is popular. »[Equip] Recommendations needed for modems
bigballer

bigballer to bigballer

to bigballer
With upcoming docsis 3.1 deployment or 16x4 deployment, I'll just wait until then I guess. As you can see, I try to hold onto my cable modems for as long as possible. Until comcast ever decides to give my tier a speed bump (probably won't) I'm in no rush to upgrade my modem until the last moment possible
bigballer

bigballer to bigballer

to bigballer
There's some refurbished arris cm820as on ebay. I may just pick one up...

Caddyroger
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
To the west

Caddyroger

Premium Member

It is not advisable to by modems from ebay. Comcast probably will not provision because they could be stolen.
bigballer

bigballer to bigballer

to bigballer
»www.ebay.com/itm/ARRIS-C ··· 8dc22191

seller looks legit, some solid ratings.

14 days to find out if it doesn't work or not.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by bigballer:

seller looks legit, some solid ratings.

14 days to find out if it doesn't work or not.

OK, hopefully that will work out fine for you.

Most of us on this forum recommend that people purchase modems and eMTAs as "new" from a reputable dealer/site, such as Amazon, and not from eBay or Craigslist, so as to avoid getting one whose MAC address is listed as stolen or as already attached to another Comcast account. In those cases, Comcast will usually refuse to provision/activate it.

I always deal with sellers through Amazon, as Comcast's own retail modem purchase page, »mynewmodem.comcast.net/ , is itself through Amazon, and I have never had any problems with returns.