Search similar:

uniqs
markysharkey
Premium Member
join:2012-12-20
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

[Config] Here's a fun one! Chromecast...

Evening all,

Latest "fix this" directive from above involves Chromecast. It seems that Chromecast uses UPnP for discovery of devices and apparently the local SSID too which makes sense when hanging off a consumer grade DSL router/switch. But with IOS devices I suspect this is going to be different! Currently the Chromecast device is not seeing the local SSID even though EVERYTHING else does, and it never shows as an attached device when running
sho dot11 associations

on the autonomous AP's. Furthermore it's MAC address never appears in the switch MAC address table, although I'm guessing that's no surprise. I checked more in hope than expectation...
I have seen suggestions that IGMP Snooping is on by default on autonomous AP's and that disabling it will solve this issue. However I am concerned that this will then cause Apple AirPlay to fail as I KNOW that I have to enable IGMP snooping for AirPlay to work. I'm hoping to lab this tomorrow but in the mean time I am looking for thoughts / experiences. Failing that I'll settle for a bit of banter between now and when I figure this out!
markysharkey

markysharkey

Premium Member

Distinct lack of banter
But on the plus side, disabling IGMP Snooping on the AP's fixed the issue and does not render AirPlay useless. Go figure...
Now on to a controller based set-up...

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

2 recommendations

tubbynet

MVM

said by markysharkey:

Distinct lack of banter

you have to give us some time. most of us drink until we can't feel feelings at night anyway ;-P

glad the igmp disable worked. igmp snooping with mdns doesn't work at all -- so most of your "automagic services" will require that to be removed prior to working well.

q.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

I also forget that most of you are the wrong side of the pond
Thanks for the igmp/mdns heads up too, although AirPlay seems to work either way. I thought that was going to be most fussy of them all!

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by markysharkey:

I also forget that most of you are the wrong side of the pond

like most things posted in this forum -- that is up for debate ;-P

q.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to markysharkey

MVM

to markysharkey
said by markysharkey:

Distinct lack of banter

...I just had 7 2950s switches go unresponsive globally this week for "unexplained' reasons... two of which kept me in the office till 1930 last
night... so I'm in agreement with tubbynet See Profile 's comment of "drinking until we can't feel feelings."

Offhand though, if Chromecast is the ONLY 802.11 system not seeing the SSID, I'd be inclined to blame it and scream at your rep on Chromecast's
side to "fix their s**t!," end direct quote. I'd also turn on whatever dot11 debugging on your APs, just for gits and shiggles.

Unfrtunately though, never worked with Chromecast so can't offer much from that end.

My (useless ragey) 00000010bits

Regards

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to markysharkey

MVM

to markysharkey
I have a chromecast and had to configure "no ip igmp snooping" on the AP to get it to work.

I posted my solution to the Cisco support forum, and someone posted a followup with one additional thing they had to configure:

"no bridge-group 1 port-protected" on "interface Dot11Radio0.1"

markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Is that hidden in a sho run? If not then I don't have that running?

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

"show run all" will show the config with all default options included as well. If its a default it usually doesnt show up in the config.
TomS_

TomS_ to HELLFIRE

MVM

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

f Chromecast is the ONLY 802.11 system not seeing the SSID, I'd be inclined to blame it and scream at your rep on Chromecast's
side to "fix their s**t!,"

And what if you happen to only be running an 802.11A AP? Chromecast only works on B/G.

Ok you could still tell them to fix that, but it wouldnt be their fault in that situation.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey to TomS_

Premium Member

to TomS_
Did that already. It wasn't there, BUT I'll double check it next time I'm on site.
In the office turning off IGMP snooping fixed it. The office AP is an 1142 autonomous pretty much running default settings as much as possible, specifically to allow me to test stuff like this when it crops up

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Yeah I have a 1242 thats about as bog standard as it can get. Two SSIDs, one on A the other on B/G, but both bridged to the same VLAN. Thats about as funky as it gets.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

I routinely turn off A unless I have wireless phones...
ladino
join:2001-02-24
USA

ladino to markysharkey

to markysharkey
On a controller based setup, simply set the AP mode to use HREAP or FlexConnect & Chromecast will work
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Thanks for that. I'm going to need to test this at some point.
Any idea how (or if) that will have any effect on Apple AirPlay?

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_ to markysharkey

MVM

to markysharkey
Where I live I have no choice but to use A if I want to actually get on the Internet.

B/G is so incredibly congested, so its for everything else that just doesnt do A.

So with a dedicated SSID on A I can hook my laptop etc up specifically to work on A and enjoy reasonably trouble free Internets.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

If I recall correctly, you're near(ish) to me in West London...
I'm surprised the 1242 doesn't keep everyone out. My 1142 easily "drowns out" nearby interferers.
B/G is more congested now but when everyone switches to newer and "better" A/C, 5.0Ghz could end up being just as bad, although worse signal penetration *might* make high density situations like apartment blocks a little better in that regard. It'll be interesting to watch how that develops.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to TomS_

MVM

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

Where I live I have no choice but to use A if I want to actually get on the Internet.

if you wanna head out to the great desert southwest -- there could very easily be a spot for you.
plus -- if the internet ever goes down -- its pretty easy to head out 'califnornee way' to find it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 6XvR4jKY

q.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

Wagons hoooooooo
Cue the theme tune to Bonanza

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to markysharkey

Premium Member

to markysharkey
said by markysharkey:

IGMP snooping

Update the IOS

and you shouldn't need ICMP snooping as all it does it try to make some ICMP traffic more intelligent.
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey

Premium Member

I have the same issues on brand new 1602 and 2602 autonomous AP's so it's not an "IOS issue" as such as they all seem to do it.

tubbynet
MVM
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet

MVM

said by markysharkey:

I have the same issues on brand new 1602 and 2602 autonomous AP's so it's not an "IOS issue" as such as they all seem to do it.

the function of igmp is to provide a layer-2 mechanism for group joins in mcast. igmp snooping allows packets to be forwarded intelligently only to those ports who have attached group members -- rather than blind flooding out all ports.

the issue is that consumer based multicast "on demand" type stuff -- like bonjour, etc -- doesn't always work through the snooping -- given the expectation of the "always on, always reachable" type of reachability.
disabling this allows flooding of traffic -- and higher reachability -- to allow these things to work.
the alternative would be to set up pim with an rp on your edge router for the groups in question.

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to markysharkey

Premium Member

to markysharkey
said by markysharkey:

I know on my android roku app to get it to work I had to turn off IGMP snooping but a slightly newer IOS also fixed it.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to tubbynet

Premium Member

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

disabling this allows flooding of traffic

So long as IGMP snooping is still on on the switches then I don't see it at to major.

in my case with the roku app the switch is able to so IGMP snooping fine just not the IOS that was formerly on my 1242AG
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey to tubbynet

Premium Member

to tubbynet
said by tubbynet:

the issue is that consumer based multicast "on demand" type stuff -- like bonjour, etc -- doesn't always work through the snooping -- given the expectation of the "always on, always reachable" type of reachability.

I'm OK with understanding the IGMP basics... I think...
The interesting thing for me is when I configure a WLC you have to enable IGMP snooping for Bonjour to work but which seems to stop Chromecast from working.

»www.cisco.com/c/en/us/su ··· -00.html

Clearly I am missing something as on the one hand IGMP snooping must be enabled for a WLC whereas for an Autonomous AP solution, it is disabled.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Its a software bug

as I mentioned some IGMP snooping issues can be fixed with a software update.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

1 edit

HELLFIRE to TomS_

MVM

to TomS_
said by TomS_:

Ok you could still tell them to fix that, but it wouldnt be their fault in that situation.

"Blame the [insert here], it'll get fixed faster." I've worked long enough in the trenches to know this is how the mindset goes

Regards
markysharkey
Premium Member
united kingd

markysharkey to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Is this definitely one of them? Got a bug ID? You seem to be speaking with authority. Got anything definitive before I get involved in trying to pry a different IOS out of my re-seller or TAC?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

3 edits

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by markysharkey:

Is this definitely one of them? Got a bug ID? You seem to be speaking with authority. Got anything definitive before I get involved in trying to pry a different IOS out of my re-seller or TAC?

I don't recall it but back when I ran into the issue I had found one.

my 1242AG AP is running 12.4(25d)JA2 (aka c1240-k9w7-mx.124-25d.JA2.bin)
and I have igmp snooping on and my chromecast works and so does the roku android app (if you look back for my post about the roku app on this forum I had an older IOS and had to turn off snooping to get the app to work)

for me atm its fairly easy as I bought SmartNet for my AP back in January (or about) so I'm able to download the latest IOS for my gear from cisco.

»[Config] AP1242AG question
when I was working on this issue I looked all over for a solution and I believe that one of the people that helped did have a bug ID.

(Short answer someone else on another forum opened a TAC case and the result was that the old IOS I was running wasn't handling snooping properly)