spc
Search similar:

uniqs

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

can anyone explain this?

Click for full size
Did a traceroute from my Acanac cable to another rogers address and it went though bell even though their at torix?

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

Acanac doesn't peer with Rogers at TorIX and so they have to use transit to reach them. I'm not sure which transit providers Acanac uses other than Bell based on this traceroute.

In this case it's not so bad since Bell and Rogers peer in Toronto and the peer isn't overloaded.

It would be nice if TPIAs on Rogers could actually peer with Rogers too, but generally it's worthless since Rogers doesn't really host any content or anything worthwhile other than P2P gaming with Rogers users.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

I thought everyone at an exchange peered with each-other and if they REALLY wanted to they could do private peering more easily? I know when I try to hit my address when on a rogers line it's going to NYC THEN DC to before it comes back to torix which to me is beyond stupid

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart

Premium Member

said by eeeaddict:

I thought everyone at an exchange peered with each-other and if they REALLY wanted to they could do private peering more easily? I know when I try to hit my address when on a rogers line it's going to NYC THEN DC to before it comes back to torix which to me is beyond stupid

No not everyone peers with everyone. Peers have policies on who they peer with and who they don't. Typically for peering there is "open", "conditional" (sometimes referred to as "selective"), and "restrictive" policies.

Open means they will peer with pretty much anyone. Conditional means they are typically open to peering with most folks but with conditions attached. Restrictive means they will peer only with a select group of peers who meet fairly aggressive conditions.

Rogers AS812 in this example is "conditional" where you must have certain traffic levels and other criteria to peer with them.

An example is our peering policy located at »netops.nexicom.net/peering - we are fairly open but with a few conditions.