spc
Search similar:

uniqs

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig

[TV] ug, new channel lineup

arg. there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the new channel lineup.

i'm pretty sure i've lost access to some broadcasters again. not that i can tell easily now that the channels are distributed all over the place.

sigh.
jig

jig

oh, and the lineup in my STB guide does not match the lineup in the mail or online available at TW's website.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Suit Up to jig

to jig
Lineup seems quite logical to me. General entertainment is in the 100s, news is in the 200s, sports is in the 300s, premiums in the 500s. And everything below 100 is the same, but now in HD. That's all I really need to remember.

Vertigo
@70.197.97.x

Vertigo

Anon

We got it in the San Gabriel Valley yesterday. In some ways its better as the HD channels were really scattered before. Especially the sports packages are much better organized now. That said, I find it strange that they put all HD channels that only have an east coast feed into the 1300s leaving the low quality SD version of the west coast feed in the organized groups. While not an issue for some, having an SD backup of each channel was nice. SDV HD channels tend to act up randomly and it was nice to have an SD fallback.

jig
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig

hopefully someday they'll allow you to edit the lineup and change the order... favorites doesn't cut it.

i've always hated that they list channels you don't have in the guide. there's not even a guide indicator, which would be easy to implement. i know they're using the comprehensive guide to advertise the content you don't have, but there's so many channels now it's very difficult to keep track of what channels you should have access to and what channels you don't.

i know you can edit the lineup if you roll your own STB/HTPC, just wish it was a feature in the box i'm renting for $15/month (or more).

more grumbling than anything else, i guess.
spdickey
join:2002-11-17
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey to Vertigo

to Vertigo
said by Vertigo :

HD channels were really scattered before. Especially the sports packages are much better organized now. That said, I find it strange that they put all HD channels that only have an east coast feed into the 1300s leaving the low quality SD version of the west coast feed in the organized groups

That will change when the affected networks provide a west coast HD feed, for example it just happened this week with FOODPHD. The east coast HD feed was replaced by a west coast one.
spdickey

spdickey to jig

to jig
said by jig:

...favorites doesn't cut it.

How many favorites do you have? For most it's under 20. Easy enough to just keep the guide on favorites, that's why its there

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to jig

Premium Member

to jig
said by jig:

hopefully someday they'll allow you to edit the lineup and change the order... favorites doesn't cut it.

i've always hated that they list channels you don't have in the guide. there's not even a guide indicator, which would be easy to implement. i know they're using the comprehensive guide to advertise the content you don't have, but there's so many channels now it's very difficult to keep track of what channels you should have access to and what channels you don't.

i know you can edit the lineup if you roll your own STB/HTPC, just wish it was a feature in the box i'm renting for $15/month (or more).

more grumbling than anything else, i guess.

This probably doesn't help you, but as DirecTV was the last "pay tv" provider I had, they had a feature called "channels I watch". It would NOT change the order of channels, but it allowed you to create a list of channels you would actually tune to, and cut out channels you don't want to see in your guide.

I used it to cut out all the shopping channels, all the religious channels, all channels I did not subscribe to (and would show a "to order this channel call.... " etc message) and all the non-english channels, and as such my guide would only show the remaining channels, basically only the channels I paid for, minus the clutter channels I did not want to even see.

Again, it didn't change the order, and the number was still correspondent to the right channel number, but it really helped with keeping the enormity of channels under control.

In addition to that, there was still a favorites option, and tapping the favorites button would cycle between the favorite channels.

Re: east vs west coast feeds, with the exception of all the locals and a few childrens channels (which I am sure has to do with bed time), all channels are east coast based. I actually liked that about DirecTV because that meant I recorded my cable shows 3 hours earlier before someone with cable - wasn't the first time I facebooked something like "watching the new pawn stars on history channel" and people replied with..... wtf, it isn't on yet!!

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to jig

Premium Member

to jig
said by jig:

arg. there is absolutely no rhyme or reason to the new channel lineup.

i'm pretty sure i've lost access to some broadcasters again. not that i can tell easily now that the channels are distributed all over the place.

sigh.

Which broadcasters? My main ones seem OK like 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 18, 28, etc. I miss OTA, through antenna(s/e) though (new place doesn't get them well due to the other side of the foothills ).

Vertigo
@216.165.225.x

1 recommendation

Vertigo

Anon

As for the local channels, I think he's referring to the new 1200's group with includes all the locals & subchannels. The organization there makes no sense. For example KTTV is channel 11, but in this grouping it's 1206; and KCBS is channel 2, but shows on 1209. If they're trying to group the locals, they should at least correspond to their regular channel number.

The real losers here are the subchannels such as 4.2, 5.2, 28.2, 28.3, 56.2 etc as they're buried in the 1200's with countless others, and no alternate in the lower channels.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Vertigo :

As for the local channels, I think he's referring to the new 1200's group with includes all the locals & subchannels. The organization there makes no sense. For example KTTV is channel 11, but in this grouping it's 1206; and KCBS is channel 2, but shows on 1209. If they're trying to group the locals, they should at least correspond to their regular channel number.

The real losers here are the subchannels such as 4.2, 5.2, 28.2, 28.3, 56.2 etc as they're buried in the 1200's with countless others, and no alternate in the lower channels.

Ah, I see now. Yeah. Also, why do we need duplicate channels? I wished cable would still use subchannels like 5.2 like ATSC.

Suit Up
join:2003-07-21
Los Angeles, CA
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X
TP-Link Archer C7

1 recommendation

Suit Up to Vertigo

to Vertigo
said by Vertigo :

What I heard was the 1200 channels are set up so they are the same in every market. So 1206 is Fox wherever you go and you don't have to know that locally it is channel 11. Personally, I don't see the point, but regardless, that's their reason.
Suit Up

1 recommendation

Suit Up to antdude

to antdude
said by antdude:

Ah, I see now. Yeah. Also, why do we need duplicate channels? I wished cable would still use subchannels like 5.2 like ATSC.

They duplicate everything in the 2-99 range, not just the local broadcast channels.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to jig

Premium Member

to jig
Does anyone like the new lineups?
spdickey
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

said by antdude:

Does anyone like the new lineups?

YES.

Off air HD networks are back to single digits! NBC is 4, not 404, ABC 7 not 407. News is all together in the 200s. Foreign language channels are out of the way in the stratosphere. All my "entertainment" cable channels are in the 100s and since I don't watch sports, having a ghetto of them in the 200s works for me.

All my TiVo recordings of network programs migrated from the 400s to the 1200s no problem. And its nice having the PBS extra digital channels all together next to each other at the top of the dial, not far down from Channel 2.
spdickey

spdickey to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

east vs west coast feeds, with the exception of all the locals and a few childrens channels (which I am sure has to do with bed time), all channels are east coast based

You're probably referring to satellite delivery here. One reason I prefer cable to satellite, west coast feeds of the networks that provide them. Dish and DirecTV seem not to carry a lot of them, while local cable systems can and do.

The following channels what have both east and west coast feeds. Not all have HD west feeds, yet, however. But that is rapidly changing as cable systems add capacity. And in a few cases where there isn't a east coast HD feed, TWC provides both the SD west coast and the east coast HD channel.

A&E
ABC Family
AMC
Animal Planet
BBC America
BET
Bravo
Cartoon Network
Cinemax
Comedy Central
Country Music Television
Discovery Channel
Disney Channel
Disney XD
E!
Encore (multiple)
Food Network
FX
GalavisiĆ³n
Game Show Network
HBO (multiple)
HGTV
History
IFC
Lifetime
Logo TV
Movie Channel (multiple)
MTV
Nat Geo Wild
National Geographic
Nick 2
Nickelodeon
Oprah Winfrey Network
Showtime (multiple)
Spike
Starz (multiple)
Sundance
Syfy
TBS
Telemundo
TLC
TNT
Travel Channel
TruTV
TV Land
TVGN
USA Network
VH1
WE tv

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena

East coast showings...

... Re: east vs west coast feeds, with the exception of all the locals and a few childrens channels (which I am sure has to do with bed time), all channels are east coast based. I actually liked that about DirecTV because that meant I recorded my cable shows 3 hours earlier before someone with cable - wasn't the first time I facebooked something like "watching the new pawn stars on history channel" and people replied with..... wtf, it isn't on yet!!

Man, I wished we could watch east coast's showings three/3 hours earlier for west coast viewers. This would help resolve the crowded recording conflicts. Also, I can be impatient to watch. Did DirecTV do this for all channels? I see TWC only has some like for channels: premiums, Latinos, etc.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to spdickey

Premium Member

to spdickey

Re: [TV] ug, new channel lineup

said by spdickey:

said by maartena:

east vs west coast feeds, with the exception of all the locals and a few childrens channels (which I am sure has to do with bed time), all channels are east coast based

You're probably referring to satellite delivery here. One reason I prefer cable to satellite, west coast feeds of the networks that provide them. Dish and DirecTV seem not to carry a lot of them, while local cable systems can and do.

That's one feature I actually liked about DirecTV satellite. Many programs that I would watch and record were on prime time cable, usually 8 or 9 PM on the east coast, and those programs would air at 5 or 6 PM in the west. Even better, most cable channels would REPEAT their prime time lineup from 8 to 11 PM, at 11 PM to 2 AM - which would be 8-11 PM on the west again. So in essence, you still get your west coast times. Only bummer is of course that after 11, there would often only be infomercials on, as that is 2 AM in the east....

I would record shows at 5, 6 PM and watch them while having dinner, while the west coast feed hadn't even aired them yet.

@antdude: They only do that for cable channels, NOT for local channels.... just FYI.
spdickey
Pacific Palisades, CA
Technicolor E31T2V1
eero Wi-Fi System
Obihai OBi202

spdickey

said by maartena:

Even better, most cable channels would REPEAT their prime time lineup from 8 to 11 PM, at 11 PM to 2 AM - which would be 8-11 PM on the west again.

Cable nets did this a lot before they started offering west coast feeds. Repeating programming one more time for the west coast. Back before DVRs I really liked nets with west coast feeds so I could see things when they were supposed to be seen, between 8 and 11 pm, and no infomercials before midnight. We should see more west coast feeds of the smaller nets as cable systems (and satellites) get more capacity. DirecTV and Dish Network would have to drastically increase their national bandwidth to have both east and west HDs of the cable nets. Perhaps more use of spot feeds would help. I'm just as glad that ugly dish is off my chimney.

jig
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig

well, we've started the process. phone being ported to cheaper service. cable card options interesting.
smcallah
join:2004-08-05
Home

smcallah to jig

to jig
said by jig:

i've always hated that they list channels you don't have in the guide.

My TWC cable box guide only shows me the channels I'm subscribed to.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by smcallah:

said by jig:

i've always hated that they list channels you don't have in the guide.

My TWC cable box guide only shows me the channels I'm subscribed to.

Same, this was enabled with the national channel line up rollout. You do have to enable this feature though. I believe all you have to do is press "Guide" twice.