spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Gus30
@174.50.65.x

Gus30

Anon

Unable to connect laptop to existing Workgroup

Briefly I am unable to connect a Toshiba laptop running 64 bit Windows 8.1 to an existing and working Workgroup with four 32 bit Windows XP computers in it. All machines, laptop included, have very good net access: 30 Mbps down, 6Mbps up. The local net is running with TCP/IP and all shared folders show in My Network Places and can be shared between all of the Windows XP machines. All four machines show in the Workgroup if I click on View Workgroup computers on any of the XP machines. The laptop shows the correct name for the workgroup but does not show any of the XP machines in the workgroup nor any of the shared folders on them. None of the XP machines sees the laptop. I have disabled the firewall on all machines, includung the laptop, with no effect. Passwords are not used in the local network. I can ping the XP machines from the laptop so there is local net connectivity. So, I have a laptop with excellent wireless net access whcih can ping the other machines in the workgroup, but none of the other machines can "see" the laptop or a shared folder on it, nor can the laptop "see" any of the other machines.

I have struggled with this problem for several days and posted to other forums -- but no headway at all.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated. The laptop will be worthless for the purpose it was purchased for unless I can share folders between it and the computers already in the Workgroup.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

Two immediate questions :

a) does this problem happen over a wired connection as well?

b) can the XP machines find the Toshiba via IP address, ie. \\[ip of Toshiba] on XP machine
Can the Toshiba find the XP machines via IP address, ie. \\[ip of an XP machine] on the Toshiba

My initial 00000010bits

Regards