RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

RockCake

Premium Member

Korra, Book 4

And so we're just a week away from Korra's final season; Nick's official trailer:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· FMY4TWGw

Earth Kingdom in turmoil, more mechas, and the return of... Toph Beifong! Yes!

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

Wow,......

Just wow,........ :0

Can't wait to see this but I'm not happy about it being the last season of Korra. I feel like there is a lot of life left in this segment of the franchise. The only thing that would reconcile this with me is if this was a necessary step to start work on a new show show in the franchise.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY

2 edits

Packeteers to RockCake

Premium Member

to RockCake
my guess is it will have something to do with the earth kingdom being leaderless.

premier is Oct 3rd - that guy with the hair bun is a villian - his name is Kuvira

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake

Premium Member

Her name is Kuvira:
(Voiced by Zelda Williams, daughter of the late, great Robin Williams.)

That's OK, I thought it was a dude too.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I wasn't sure either way so I tried to hold back making any choices as to him / her.

BTW, my kids were watching Teen-Nick and they were showing Promos for Korra citing an air date this upcoming Saturday at ~11:00pm. I thought Korra was online only now?

What gives?

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake

Premium Member

Season 4 is online, the promo was for the reruns.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean

MVM

Yes I know that,......

The thing that was confusing for me was why bother promoting reruns for a show that was pulled off their lineup to be online only? why even bother with reruns?

What they are doing just doesn't make much sense to me.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

1 recommendation

Alpha Phoenix to RockCake

Premium Member

to RockCake
Wow!!! That looks epic! This season looks like it's going to be so badass! I can't wait!!!

Aang was an Air Bender, Korra is a Water Bender. I really hope they do two more series to cover an Avater who is an Earth Bender, and another one who is a Fire Bender. Would be great!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

hum not finding it at TPB

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake

Premium Member

Well, a few observations from Episode 1:

Prince Wu is too stupid to be Earth King.
Kuvira 'the Great Uniter' is a total badass and is a force to be reckoned with.
Meelo is still annoying.
and Korra...well at least she's out of her wheelchair. Trying her hand in the Earth Kingdom UFC?

Overall, a decent start...

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

Packeteers to RockCake

Premium Member

to RockCake
saw it - i'm glad they show the "bad guy" early (so we see more of the evolution) and not half way through the season as with other years. the air nation as an independent roving band of do gooders is kinda lame, but whatever. i hope korra gets over her malaise early in the season - it's going to get boring fast with her being ability limited. i think they are over doing it with the earth prince nephew being such a bafoon - despite being born into privilege, you'd think with an aunt assassinated for being out of touch with her people, he'd at least pretend to be more responsible.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to RockCake

Premium Member

to RockCake
said by RockCake:

I think she's using the "bandits" to force the union. (IE she lays down the hurt but then sends to at the hold outs.)

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to RockCake

MVM

to RockCake
Kuvira is really awesome,...

At the moment I'll resist talking about Book 4 further because I wanted to say something about Book 3. While I did enjoy it immensely there were one or two things that bothered me a little.

I thought Zaheer was a great character as well as P'Li, Ming-Hua and Ghazan. I thought the Red Lotus was a great concept too. However, attempting to destroy the Avatar chain makes little to no sense IMO.

One thing that never settled well with me was how capable and beyond capable Zaheer was at Air bending considering he was a new Air Bender. There is absolutely no way Zaheer should have been able to go toe to toe with Tenzin or Korra (even on a bad day). He should have been no more capable then Bumi or any one of the other new Air benders.

That little detail aside, Zaheer's capability made for some great writing and fight sequences.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

said by Octavean:

Kuvira is really awesome,...

At the moment I'll resist talking about Book 4 further because I wanted to say something about Book 3. While I did enjoy it immensely there were one or two things that bothered me a little.

I thought Zaheer was a great character as well as P'Li, Ming-Hua and Ghazan. I thought the Red Lotus was a great concept too. However, attempting to destroy the Avatar chain makes little to no sense IMO.

One thing that never settled well with me was how capable and beyond capable Zaheer was at Air bending considering he was a new Air Bender. There is absolutely no way Zaheer should have been able to go toe to toe with Tenzin or Korra (even on a bad day). He should have been no more capable then Bumi or any one of the other new Air benders.

That little detail aside, Zaheer's capability made for some great writing and fight sequences.

Agreed.
Alpha Phoenix

Alpha Phoenix to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by RockCake:

I think she's using the "bandits" to force the union. (IE she lays down the hurt but then sends to at the hold outs.)

I told my wife I thought the same thing.

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

1 recommendation

RockCake

Premium Member

Nice to see you too, Blind Bandit.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Gotta love that last line, "I knew you in your previous life. Nice to see you again, Twinkle Toes."

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

1 edit

Packeteers to RockCake

Premium Member

to RockCake
said by RockCake:

Blind Bandit.

I was disappointed with the english voice actor - it does not sound at all like the original - even accounting for the stress of old age.
I find it hard to swallow how this character would remain in obscurity for decades while the children have both become so accomplished.
I know why she started her exile, just not why she would have remained away, not having even seeing her grandchildren grow up.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

Alpha Phoenix

Premium Member

Why did she go into exile?

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

1 edit

1 recommendation

Packeteers

Premium Member

said by Alpha Phoenix:

Why did she go into exile?

I don't wanna spoil it, so go back and view some of the later episodes from last season instead of reading my spoiler. it has to do with why Lin spends most of the season pissed at her metal bending sister.

»vodlocker.com/g3m3177xva2f - you may be able to view the key episode here

In 120 AG, after the formation of Republic City, Toph was placed at the head of its law enforcement, and became the city's first Chief of Police. Her metalbending knowledge allowed her to found an elite team, the Metalbending Police Force, to aid her in her safeguarding duties.
Toph gave birth to two daughters, Lin and Suyin, with different fathers, and raised them as a single parent. Both daughters inherited her earthbending abilities and became masters in their own right. Seeking to give them a different childhood than the one she had, Toph gave her daughters the freedom to find their own path. Lin would later follow in her footsteps as the Chief of Police, while Suyin became a rebel, much like her mother when she was young.
In 141 AG, after Lin caught Suyin trying to flee from an arrest for theft, the sisters were brought into Toph's office. Not wanting Su to go to prison, Toph destroyed Suyin's police report and sent her to live with her Father. Toph retired from the police force a year later due to guilt. At the same time, Suyin would later travel the world, eventually building a metal city, Zaofu. Toph and Suyin later reconciled, though Lin refused to participate. Toph would visit Suyin in Zaofu from time to time, regaling her granddaughter, Opal, with stories about Lin, until she left to travel around the world in search of enlightenment. According to Aiwei, she has not been seen since.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

I thought that was Lin and Suyin's interpretation of what happened with Toph but I guess it doesn't matter.

Toph can see her grandchildren and her daughters as well as much more. She said as much herself. It is they that cannot see her in her seclusion.

I finished watching episode 7 and there are a lot of uninsured questions. However, everyone should be assured that Toph is well aware of exactly what has transpired at Zaofu even in her self imposed exile. Whether she chooses to interfere or not is unknown. Aside from travel time from the swamp to Zaofu I have little doubt that Toph even in her advanced years is more then a match for Kuvira,......

Well she should be more then a match,......

There is a little matter of Kuvira looking as if she were able to go into the Avatar state as well,......what with the glowing eyes and all,...

What's up with that,....!?!

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake

Premium Member

That wasn't Kuvira in the Avatar state, Korra was hallucinating...seeing her 'dark self' as a side effect of the poison. I guess it wasn't all purged after all.
a question I did have though was if Varrick and Bolin were believed to be dead in the train explosion, why were there wanted posters of them at the guardpost?

I guess it's just part of Kuvira's cool, calculating methods... she leaves nothing to chance.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

said by RockCake:

That wasn't Kuvira in the Avatar state, Korra was hallucinating...seeing her 'dark self' as a side effect of the poison. I guess it wasn't all purged after all.

This was my thought initially as well and perhaps that is it. However, one the reasons I thought that "might" not be an answer was because Kuvira seemed so sure of herself going into the fight. As if it were planned and she knew that she had already won without even breaking a sweat.

Why would anyone think that they can take on the Avatar when in the Avatar state unless they had something extra to fall back on?

Also the previous hallucinations were of herself with glowing eyes. If it were just a hallucination why wouldn't it have been of her rather then Kuvira?

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100

1 edit

Packeteers

Premium Member

I agree with Octaven - Kuvira is holding back something. remember since the spirits share the human rhelm all sort of latent/dormant bending powers have emerged all over the world. perhaps Kuvira has tapped into something new, similar to how Toph has learned to use the spirit vines to improve her own vision (or how Zaheer last season was able to fly). this whole spirit vine energy weapon/battary pursuit has yet to be explained as to it's purpose - again, there may be some application we can't simply assume is a conventional weapon, or even a weapon at all.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

And did you notice when Kuvira fought Korra her eyes glowed just like korra's when korra is in the avatar state.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Alpha Phoenix to RockCake

Premium Member

to RockCake
So is this it? The series finale? No other seasons possible?

Any news on if there's going to be another Avatar series?

Just found out about Republic City Hustle and I'm getting them now.
said by »avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Re ··· y_Hustle :

Republic City Hustle is an American web series trilogy set three years prior to the events chronicled in The Legend of Korra.[2] It explores the history of Mako and Bolin, who, after the deaths of their mother and father, find themselves orphaned and living on the street. The two boys must do what they can to survive on the streets of Republic City, even if that means swindling and theft.

Packeteers
Premium Member
Forest Hills, NY

Packeteers

Premium Member

Thanks for the RCH link - the style looks like Samurai Jack.
The finale was OK, I'm not surprised they're not doing more.

racer9876
Defender Of The Universe
Premium Member
join:2000-07-03
Lancaster, CA

racer9876 to RockCake

Premium Member

to RockCake
I thought it was a nice ending to the whole Avatar universe. And should a follow-on series wished to be developed they could just follow this same formula and go with the next avatar in the cycle and take place 100+ in the future.

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake

Premium Member

Sigh, I'm going to miss Korra & co.
Another great finish to a great series.

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

Exodus

Premium Member

Yep. Too bad the Avatar series comes to a wrap. I wish they had a quality game-world built around this. They have so much to work with.