All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

Audio Jack Converter

I have a friend who I am trying to help out he basically is sick of his old desktop so we bought him a very nice laptop.

Here is the deal , he has those older dell speakers 1 sub and I think like 3-4 speakers.

They are all connected to the desktop I think there is 3 cables black green and some other one, I am trying to find the best way to plug into laptop with some sort of audio adapter, I thought abut optical to 3.5mm but I am not sure which speakers he has .. he is a little newb when it comes to technology.

Anyone has an idea or did something similar? Thanks guys!

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

sounds like his desktop soundcard was surround sound with multiple dedicated outputs. a laptop won't have that, but you may find a USB adapter that would.

Also without actually seeing it or without model numbers there is no way to really say what he has. one plug could be speaker, the next mic, 3rd wire could be sub output from one of the speakers or any combination of other methods.
patt2k

patt2k

I will try to find out and let you know. Thanks! also in the mean time can you suggest a USB adapter if that's not a problem? from amazon.
said by davidg:

sounds like his desktop soundcard was surround sound with multiple dedicated outputs. a laptop won't have that, but you may find a USB adapter that would.

Also without actually seeing it or without model numbers there is no way to really say what he has. one plug could be speaker, the next mic, 3rd wire could be sub output from one of the speakers or any combination of other methods.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
MVM
join:2002-06-15

davidg

MVM

sorry, I've never used one but know they are available.

runnoft
Premium Member
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC

1 edit

runnoft to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
There are different configurations of surround sound cables, so he or you need to compare carefully his cables to this device to make sure it will work before buying, but here's one such device that would work with some hardware:
»www.walmart.com/ip/Start ··· 14291558

If this won't work for him, I found this by websearching "sound card cable converter." You could add USB as another search term. Good luck.

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to patt2k

to patt2k
Is he a big sound buff? If so, he will probably notice a difference using a laptop and a USB sound adapter. Does the laptop have HDMI? If so, you could probably buy a cheap refurb surround receiver.

Watch out for adapter mentioned above, as that is 7.1 and what you explain sounds more like 3.1, 3 speakers and a subwoofer. It might still work, but should research first. Also, I tend to stay away from Walmart for my electronics. Whats your price point though?

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to patt2k

MVM

to patt2k
Sounds like you want a USB sound card. I'd look for a device with 5.1 sound. Creative Labs or Turtle Beach used to be the leaders in discreet sound cards.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to patt2k

to patt2k
Kilroy is right, a USB sound card is the way to go. He'll get better quality and the simplicity of only having to connect one cable to hook up to the system. I just checked Newegg and there are lots at different prices.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium Member
join:2000-08-08
Alfred, ME

bewhole to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
Is this the adapter you are looking for??
»www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Fem ··· o+1+male

I do not know how they would sound(Speakers) but I think they would work for him.

moseby
Ool For Me
Premium Member
join:2002-11-18
Somers, NY

moseby to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
USB 5.1 Channel Audio Adapter

»www.amazon.com/GWC-AA150 ··· 009S9SU6
patt2k

patt2k

thanks guys and it has 3 cables they all went into soundcard on his pc,so the usb ones you guys showed me should be perfect.