Search similar:

uniqs
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

Gem

Premium Member

Firefox 32 won't pronounce words from One Look Dictionaries

Running Firefox 32bit ver32 on Windows 7 64bit system. Just updated Quicktime and Shockwave Flash and set them to always activate.

Still even after updates, can't get sound when attempting to get One Look Dictionaries to pronounce words.

Problem doesn't exist on the same computer when using IE instead of Firefox so I'm thinking it is not a hardware or windows problem but a Firefox problem.

Question is, what do we need to do to get sounds from the dictionaries when in Firefox? Other sounds as in videos play fine, by the way.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

> One Look Dictionaries

URLs?

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

Santa Fe

I used The Google & found this: »www.onelook.com/

And to the OP, I tried it in Firefox 33 beta 7 and heard the sound files.

JTM1051
MVM
join:2000-07-08
Terrell, TX

JTM1051 to Gem

MVM

to Gem
Are you using any add-ons like NoScript that may be blocking flash player thus preventing sound from playing?

Using 32 bit Fx 32.0.3 with Windows 7 64bit system and was able to hear sound files at onelook.com after I temp allowed the site in NoScript.
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Good thought and suggestion. However, there is no flash blocking software on the HP laptop that won't play dictionary sounds in Firefox.

UPDATE:

I am no longer in the vicinity of the non-vocalizing HP computer. Back home with another almost identical HP laptop (Windows 7 64bit with Firefox) that interestingly does play the dictionary pronunciations.

The original problem is still unsolved. Any other ideas are welcome. I will follow up on those next time I visit the person with the non-working laptop.

therube
Randallstown, MD

therube to Gem

to Gem
> Quicktime and Shockwave Flash

Are not needed to "pronounce".

BIGMIKE
Q
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Gainesville, FL

1 recommendation

BIGMIKE to Gem

Premium Member

to Gem
clean install of FF.

i had the same problem this fix it back up use MozBackup
How do I do a clean install of FF.
»support.mozilla.org/en-U ··· s/964662

therube
Randallstown, MD

therube to Gem

to Gem
When you hover the "pronounce" link, what does it show?
And what does the link location show as?
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

when you hover, it shows the word, colon, "click link to here the pronunciation".

the pronounce link is an icon that looks a little speaker.

Go to this page and type in a word. Then click on search. Then go to the right hand side of the word to see a quick definition of the word. In that frame you should see the pronunciation icon that is supposed to play the sound of the word when you click on the icon.

»www.onelook.com/?w=cabal&ls=a (searching for the word "cabal")

As stated at the being. This works properly on my HP Windows 7 laptop at home, but did not work on my friend's HP Windows 7 laptop that was also running Windows 7. Both computers use Firefox as the default web browser.

Interestingly, the words would sound out properly when the OneLook dictionaries were accessed from Internet Explorer.

I no longer am traveling and thus no longer have access to the friend's HP laptop.
Gem

Gem to BIGMIKE

Premium Member

to BIGMIKE
said by BIGMIKE:

clean install of FF.

i had the same problem this fix it back up use MozBackup
How do I do a clean install of FF.
»support.mozilla.org/en-U ··· s/964662

Okay. A clean new install it will be the next time there. Thanks.