spc
Search similar:

uniqs
RonR
join:2003-10-10
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

Grandstream GXP2140

I'm in the market for a 4-Line IP Phone in the $100.00 range for use with FreePBX. I think I've settled on the Grandstream GXP2140, but before I pull the trigger, I thought I'd seek any advice the community here might have regarding this phone.

»www.grandstream.com/inde ··· /gxp2140
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
join:2014-07-07
Rockville, MD

Pufferty

How is the speakerphone on that device?
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

1 recommendation

RonR

said by Pufferty:

How is the speakerphone on that device?

I'm hoping someone can tell me.
verix
join:2004-12-30
Oakland, CA

verix

We have a couple of GXP2140 and 2160's. They work great, although take a while to boot up. Speakerphone is fine.

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

1 edit

Trev to RonR

Premium Member

to RonR
I found these phones to be great for value but provide a terrible user experience for the actual operation of the phone itself.

They run Android, so you can have all the apps... but, to me at least, it seems Grandstream forgot they were building a phone.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

said by Trev:

They run Android

According to Grandstream, it's Linux based:

A versatile Enterprise IP phone, the GXP2140 is a Linux-based device that includes 4 lines, 5 XML programmable soft keys, and 5-way conferencing. A 4.3 inch color LCD screen and HD audio allow for a crisp display and high quality calls.

»www.grandstream.com/inde ··· /gxp2140

Trev
AcroVoice & DryVoIP Official Rep
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC

Trev

Premium Member

So be it. I mistook it for another model with a very similar form factor. I haven't actually used the GXP2140.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to RonR

MVM

to RonR
That looks like a decent phone for the price. I've had good luck with Grandstream, but can't personally speak for that phone.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

verix & nunya,

Thanks for the feedback.
verix
Oakland, CA

verix to RonR

to RonR
I should add that I wished the speakerphone volume was just a tiny bit louder. Also, if you choose to acquire them, a firmware upgrade is critical as the recent firmwares fixed a bunch of issues.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

I just placed an order for one and I should have it this week.

I did notice there was a firmware update posted just a few days ago. I'll download it and install it when the phone arrives.

Thanks!

Yikes! The firmware is 50 MB!!!
RonR

1 edit

RonR to verix

to verix
said by verix:

a firmware upgrade is critical as the recent firmwares fixed a bunch of issues

Am I correct in assuming that the GXP2140 tries to download a firmware file named 'gxp2140fw.bin' from the root directory of the TFTP server with the following settings?:

Firmware Upgrade and Provisioning : Always Check for New Firmware
Upgrade Via : TFTP
Firmware Server Path : 192.168.1.100
Firmware File Prefix :
Firmware File Postfix :

or is the filename not hardcoded to 'gxp2140fw.bin' and needs to be specified?:

Firmware Server Path : 192.168.1.100/gxp2140fw.bin
verix
Oakland, CA

verix

It should use HTTP by default. I just put in the firmware server as firmware.grandstream.com and it will check and auto-update. To force an update, you have to toggle provisioning from the front of the phone.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

I have my own TFTP server at 192.168.1.100 and would prefer to use it instead of having the phone suck it across the Internet.

The Grandstream documentation is very lacking in any description of the process.

XANAVirus
Premium Member
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

XANAVirus to RonR

Premium Member

to RonR
I purchased this phone to replace my home wireless phone with it.

I bought from Amazon and it came completely updated.

The only difference that I could see between the GXP2140 and GXP2160 was the raise from 4 lines to 6 lines and the inclusion of a busy lamp field module (which I'm not sure can be used with Asterisk).

It is a Linux-based phone. I wrote a review of it on Amazon which you can see if you look on the GXP2140 product page.
RonR
Ash Flat, AR

RonR

My GXP2140 arrived this morning.

Setup was uneventful and it appears to work as expected. Upgrading the firmware was also simple using my local TFTP server (there was an update on 9/15 and another on 9/30).

So far, I'm a happy camper. The large (4.3") color display is quite nice and the audio quality (handset and speakerphone) is very good with plenty of volume. It's a big step up from my old GE 2-Line analog desk phone connected via an ATA.

Thanks for all the comments.
lilarry
Premium Member
join:2010-04-06

lilarry to Trev

Premium Member

to Trev
said by Trev:

I found these phones to be great for value but provide a terrible user experience for the actual operation of the phone itself.

They run Android, so you can have all the apps... but, to me at least, it seems Grandstream forgot they were building a phone.

I just saw this and felt a need to respond. As many here know we are a VoIP reseller and a Grandstream certified reseller. We researched many brands of IP phones before deciding on working with Grandstream. We find their phones to be extremely feature rich, user friendly and extremely cost competitive. We have countless Grandstream units out there in the field and our customers love them. We've experienced very few problems with these phones and devices, but when there is an issue we find Grandstream's support people always work closely with us to get things resolved. Indeed we find them to be the most customer friendly supplier we have ever worked with, and their products are excellent.

Just my 2 cents.
mripguru
join:2005-05-04
New York, NY

mripguru

Our experience with them has been somewhat similar (we've started deploying the 3240's for customers) - but, they seem to ship from factory with some glaring issues (BLF doesn't work right out of the box - fixed via firmware update currently in beta).

Their support folks have been very helpful in working with us on these and other issues - but, a little more QA prior to release would be nice....