spc
Search similar:

uniqs
wideglide36
join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

Question about DID's

I know you can use different sites online to search for phone numbers,(reverse phone lookup, privacy star, etc.etc.), and they give you certain information for that particular number, but are there sites online that will tell you if a certain DID is available for purchase and who you would purchase it from?

For instance, if someone wanted their perfect number in their area code and rate center, how could you find out if it were available? Or, is that impossible without contacting numerous providers with that question?

I know Voip.ms has a search engine to find various numbers that they provide, and I'm sure other providers do as well, but is there any place that can search all numbers no matter the provider?

Actually, besides Voip.ms, there's not a whole lot of other providers who do have a search function for a particular number. At least I couldn't find many. Skype does.

I would just like to find out if certain numbers are even available. Doing a reverse number look up just returns the city and no name, so I don't know if that means someone owns it or not.

Still lookin' for that perfect number.

Thanks.......
CatsEyeX
Premium Member
join:2014-08-20
Alviso, CA

CatsEyeX

Premium Member

I have an obsession with phone numbers, so this question is near and dear to my heart.

As far as I know, there is no one site where you can search all numbers available for any carrier. There are sites which sell "vanity numbers", for example numbers that end with 4 identical digits like "3333" or even numbers that end in "0000". I have never bought a number from one of these sites, as they are quite expensive. Most numbers start at $300 or $400 and some are more than $10,000.

The new Anveo capability to search by area or code by rate center is very useful. Once the available numbers are displayed, you can just do a text search on the web page. It is a bit frustrating that it will only display the first 4000 numbers for a given area code or rate center.

The best site I have found for searching for phone numbers is Twilio. They recently added the capability to do wild card searches. For example, a search for "314*****00" would find any number in the 314 area code which ends in 00. US and Canadian phone numbers cost $1 per month and $2 for a toll free number. But if I remember correctly, the minimum deposit to open an account is $20.

They do seem to allow searches on any country available which is quite an extensive list. I was easily able to search for a phone number in Brazil which ended in 00 and I could have purchased one for $3 per month. I also tried searching in Bulgaria, although the search turned up nothing. Perhaps they have no available numbers in Bulgaria at this moment.

My only complaint about the search is that it only displays 10 available numbers, seemingly randomly from their pool of available numbers. To check for any additional numbers you have to hit the refresh button which they display at the bottom of the screen, but this will often just redisplay the numbers which you have already seen.

Porting from Twilio has been mostly successful with some caveats. I ported 2 numbers to CallCentric without any problems. I simply uploaded a signed letter of agency and 2 screenshots from my Twilio account, showing the phone numbers and my address. The ports were scheduled within a few hours and completed in 4 to 5 business days. I have had no problems with the ported numbers.

Ports to Ring.to were a bit more problematic. Some went through without issues but a few we had to go back and forth on. Twilio is a prepaid service and does not record a billing address for the account. They seem to record their address in San Francisco as the billing address with the reseller they obtain the number from. I will give kudos to Ring.to's customer support for persevering on the last 2 ports even after I had given up. Those 2 ports are scheduled to complete tomorrow morning.
w1ve
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

w1ve to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
I like Google Voice's number search. You can get a Google Voice number with any gmail account. Then, It's $3.00 to unlock the number so it can be ported to a VoIP provider. If you choose Anveo as the provider, the port-in is free, and the port occurs within a few hours.

I've done this to find two or more Vanity DIDs I wanted. $3 find a cool vanity DID is worth the cost.

Of course, OP, the DIDs available to these various providers are what they have available to them. So it might take time to find what you want. Anveo and GV can do these quick ports because they are both customers of Bandwidth.com.

Vitelity.com allows you to search for numbers. Most of theirs are from Level3.

Good Luck.
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

said by w1ve:

I like Google Voice's number search. You can get a Google Voice number with any gmail account. Then, It's $3.00 to unlock the number so it can be ported to a VoIP provider. If you choose Anveo as the provider, the port-in is free, and the port occurs within a few hours.

I've done this to find two or more Vanity DIDs I wanted. $3 find a cool vanity DID is worth the cost.

Of course, OP, the DIDs available to these various providers are what they have available to them. So it might take time to find what you want. Anveo and GV can do these quick ports because they are both customers of Bandwidth.com.

Vitelity.com allows you to search for numbers. Most of theirs are from Level3.

Good Luck.

Yeah, how could I forget about Google Voice as far as searching for a certain number.

Never really found the perfect number on GV though.

There are a lot of sites that let you see numbers before buying, but not a lot of sites that actually let you input a certain number to see if it is available.

It would be nice though..................
CatsEyeX
Premium Member
Alviso, CA

CatsEyeX

Premium Member

Google Voice does have decent search capability and seem to let you page through all the numbers available with in a certain area code, with or without an additional search string to match. It would be nice if GV let you at least specify that you wanted the search string to match at the end of the number. I have often thought about writing a Linux script to go through all the GV numbers for a given area code and filter out the ones that I want.

I have never had any luck find particularly good vanity numbers on GV. I get the feeling that GV numbers get picked over pretty quickly when new numbers get released. In all the numerous hours I have spent searching for numbers on GV, I have never found a number that ended in 000 for example.
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36 to CatsEyeX

to CatsEyeX
said by CatsEyeX:

I have an obsession with phone numbers, so this question is near and dear to my heart.

As far as I know, there is no one site where you can search all numbers available for any carrier. There are sites which sell "vanity numbers", for example numbers that end with 4 identical digits like "3333" or even numbers that end in "0000". I have never bought a number from one of these sites, as they are quite expensive. Most numbers start at $300 or $400 and some are more than $10,000.

The new Anveo capability to search by area or code by rate center is very useful. Once the available numbers are displayed, you can just do a text search on the web page. It is a bit frustrating that it will only display the first 4000 numbers for a given area code or rate center.

The best site I have found for searching for phone numbers is Twilio. They recently added the capability to do wild card searches. For example, a search for "314*****00" would find any number in the 314 area code which ends in 00. US and Canadian phone numbers cost $1 per month and $2 for a toll free number. But if I remember correctly, the minimum deposit to open an account is $20.

They do seem to allow searches on any country available which is quite an extensive list. I was easily able to search for a phone number in Brazil which ended in 00 and I could have purchased one for $3 per month. I also tried searching in Bulgaria, although the search turned up nothing. Perhaps they have no available numbers in Bulgaria at this moment.

My only complaint about the search is that it only displays 10 available numbers, seemingly randomly from their pool of available numbers. To check for any additional numbers you have to hit the refresh button which they display at the bottom of the screen, but this will often just redisplay the numbers which you have already seen.

Porting from Twilio has been mostly successful with some caveats. I ported 2 numbers to CallCentric without any problems. I simply uploaded a signed letter of agency and 2 screenshots from my Twilio account, showing the phone numbers and my address. The ports were scheduled within a few hours and completed in 4 to 5 business days. I have had no problems with the ported numbers.

Ports to Ring.to were a bit more problematic. Some went through without issues but a few we had to go back and forth on. Twilio is a prepaid service and does not record a billing address for the account. They seem to record their address in San Francisco as the billing address with the reseller they obtain the number from. I will give kudos to Ring.to's customer support for persevering on the last 2 ports even after I had given up. Those 2 ports are scheduled to complete tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, I would never pay that kind of money for a great vanity number.

That's crazy.

I'll check out Twilio. Thanks.
wideglide36

wideglide36 to CatsEyeX

to CatsEyeX
said by CatsEyeX:

Google Voice does have decent search capability and seem to let you page through all the numbers available with in a certain area code, with or without an additional search string to match. It would be nice if GV let you at least specify that you wanted the search string to match at the end of the number. I have often thought about writing a Linux script to go through all the GV numbers for a given area code and filter out the ones that I want.

I have never had any luck find particularly good vanity numbers on GV. I get the feeling that GV numbers get picked over pretty quickly when new numbers get released. In all the numerous hours I have spent searching for numbers on GV, I have never found a number that ended in 000 for example.

Me either.................
w1ve
Premium Member
Hancock, NH

w1ve to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

There are a lot of sites that let you see numbers before buying, but not a lot of sites that actually let you input a certain number to see if it is available.

Vitelity lets you search by number and or text.
voip.ms lets you search by number.
said by CatsEyeX:

I have never had any luck find particularly good vanity numbers on GV.

I found 77-[MyRealName], which is pretty cool, on GV, and 88=[MyCompanyName] Toll Free on Vitelity. 99.99% lower cost then those trying to sell vanity 800 numbers!
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

said by w1ve:

said by wideglide36:

Vitelity lets you search by number and or text.
voip.ms lets you search by number.
said by CatsEyeX:

I have never had any luck find particularly good vanity numbers on GV.

I found 77-[MyRealName], which is pretty cool, on GV, and 88=[MyCompanyName] Toll Free on Vitelity. 99.99% lower cost then those trying to sell vanity 800 numbers!

At Vitelity it only shows me whether or not a city is available. No way to search for a number.

Do you have to register on their site perhaps?
CatsEyeX
Premium Member
Alviso, CA

CatsEyeX to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
You are welcome. I have had lots of success finding numbers at Twilio. I am not even entirely sure what the intended use of Twilio is. I have seen it described as an expensive version of Google Voice, where all calls are $0.01 per minute and all SMS messages are $0.01. It seems to be designed to let program your own automated system like an IVR but at a price.

I have never used it for anything other than a good place to find phone numbers.
w1ve
Premium Member
Hancock, NH

w1ve to wideglide36

Premium Member

to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

Do you have to register on their site perhaps?

Sorry. Yup. It's on the portal page.
Pufferty
Perpetual Newbie
join:2014-07-07
Rockville, MD

Pufferty to wideglide36

to wideglide36
RingTo allows slearch much like Google Voice, but not true wildcard searches. This makes sense as Bandwidth owns RingTo and it's GV's supplier for the most part. I've spent for too long making accouns at Ringto to snag nice numbers, which is FAR less tedious than GV as it doesn't require any email confirmation - you simply put any email address in (invalid or not) and a password and you are able to select a number. The inventory at RingTo far exceeds GV for any particular area code, from my experiences.

I say this because, after lots and lots of searching, I have figured out that Bandwidth is holding back vanity numbers. While getting numbers like AAA-BBB-2500 or AAA-BBB- 5050 is easy, the really good ones are never there. There will be blocks of numbers to page through which are in sequential order like this:

240-888-2997
240-888-2998
240-888-2999
240-888-3001
240-888-3002

So unless there is someone who's figured out a way to game it better than I have, XYYY and XXXX suffixes are not up for grabs.

Hope this helps.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Pufferty:

So unless there is someone who's figured out a way to game it better than I have, XYYY and XXXX suffixes are not up for grabs.

I've seen some on Anveo unless they have been grabbed by now.

josephf
join:2009-04-26

1 recommendation

josephf to wideglide36

to wideglide36
OP: If you're seeking a very specific number, first try dialing it to see if it is in service with another telephone customer. If it is, obviously it is unavailable (unless you want to try buying it off the existing user.)

If the number is not in service then you can lookup which telecom carrier owns that number. Other members of this forum can direct you how to easily lookup which carrier owns the number. With that information you can call that carriers sales department and ask about establishing new service with them and if that phone number would be available.

If you obtain it, you later can port it to another carrier if so desired.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by josephf:

If you're seeking a very specific number, first try dialing it to see if it is in service with another telephone customer. If it is, obviously it is unavailable (unless you want to try buying it off the existing user.)

Depending on the situation, buying it from the existing user might be the easiest option.

That said, even if you hear a SIT tone and and a not-in-service message, the number might still be unavailable. The subscriber may be playing that SIT tone rather than the carrier...
said by josephf:

If the number is not in service then you can lookup which telecom carrier owns that number. Other members of this forum can direct you how to easily lookup which carrier owns the number. With that information you can call that carriers sales department and ask about establishing new service with them and if that phone number would be available.

Some carriers are easier to do this with than others.

If you get told "No" a gazzilion times, keep trying. Sometimes a sympathetic rep can get you what you want.
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36 to josephf

to josephf
said by josephf:

OP: If you're seeking a very specific number, first try dialing it to see if it is in service with another telephone customer. If it is, obviously it is unavailable (unless you want to try buying it off the existing user.)

If you obtain it, you later can port it to another carrier if so desired.

Thanks.

I just dialed the number and got an operator who said the number was not in service.

How do I find out which carrier owns the number?

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by wideglide36:

Goto this page:
http://www.alcazarnetworks.com/data_services_lnp_lrn.php

Put the phone number, in 11 digit format, with no spaces dashes nor punctuation, in where it says phone number.
Leave ANI blank.
Check the box that says Extended.
wideglide36
Altoona, PA

wideglide36

said by arpawocky:

said by wideglide36:

Goto this page:
http://www.alcazarnetworks.com/data_services_lnp_lrn.php

Put the phone number, in 11 digit format, with no spaces dashes nor punctuation, in where it says phone number.
Leave ANI blank.
Check the box that says Extended.

Thank you.

The results returned that the number/s were owned by Telcove of PA (Level3).

I remember some time ago that I tried to purchase a number that they owned and I never got anywhere.

Maybe I'll try again......

josephf
join:2009-04-26

josephf

Perhaps you'll have better luck if you contact Telcove directly, if they are still separate from the parent, rather than the parent company Level3.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Telcove PA contact number is 877-853-8353 but when called it does indeed go to Level_3.

All the documents and contacts for Telcove on file with the Pennsylvania PUC are pretty out of date, and some local Penna contact numbers are disconnected.

In short this is now Level_3.

Guess it doesn't hurt to call as long as long as it won't bug you to get the cold shoulder.

-----

It might be more to the point to check with the common VoIP providers, many of them deal with Level_3 one way or another.

Check the available number pools on Anveo and Voip.MS for starters, you could also send inquiries to Voipo and CC.