All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
jerryjay
join:2014-09-28

jerryjay

Question about bit-rate.

Hello everybody.
I'm new into computer networking. My question is about bitrate ; what does really mean a value like 1Gbps ( 1Gb/s ) ?
if I monitor a link ( i.e. : only TX way ) , every second, on that link, I will have 1000 bit/second from the source to the receiver?
If I have 2 receivers ( and packets are transmitted in broadcast mode ) , every second I will have a total of 1 Gpbs from source to receivers?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

If you are talking Gbit LAN, it is not continuous data.

The bits are sent at 1 GBit/sec but during packets. there is some overhead and gaps that must exist between packets. It 1000 MBit/sec inside packets.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to jerryjay

MVM

to jerryjay
said by jerryjay:

every second, on that link, I will have 1000 bit/second from the source to the receiver?

1,000,000,000 bps (1Gbps) 1000 bit/second is 1kbps is slow even by dialup modem standards (56kbps)

As shdesigns See Profile posted assuming you are talking about Ethernet the data is only on the wire when there are frames being transmitted. The bit rate of the frame is 1Gbps (Gig Ethernet), 100Mbps (Fast Ethernet) and 10 Mbps (Ethernet). There are even faster versions of Ethernet but you get the idea.

Modern Ethernet is full duplex so the transmitter can be sending data at the same time the receiver is getting incoming data.

/tom
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to jerryjay

MVM

to jerryjay
said by jerryjay:

what does really mean a value like 1Gbps ( 1Gb/s ) ?

Just what it says, 1 billion bits per second.

The long(er) answer is "how are you monitoring the TX / RX?"

My 00000010bits

Regards