Search similar:

uniqs

bryanviper
join:2002-10-12
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

PoE Switch Recomendations?

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anybody can suggest a decent 4 port PoE switch? The cheapest one so far that I found is this 8 Port one for $90 - »www.ncix.com/detail/netg ··· 1342.htm

i'm going to keep looking but in case somebody knows of a good deal.

Thanks

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

4 port? Thats an utter waste even if they do exist... Remember you need 1 port for uplink.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
That is the one I have, I have no issues with it, keep in mind though, all four ports can't be using full-power, and 802.3af not 802.3at

4 PoE ports, plus other ports for uplink, isn't a waste
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
Do you need
a) 4 PoE ports in a larger switch,
or
b) 4 PoE ports and no additional ports?

Make sure you know your overall power requirements for all your connected devices (ones you have today + ones you think you'll buy tomorrow, eg. a PTZ PoE camera) BEFORE you choose a switch. Not all switches have the same overall power output.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

So what I'm looking for is a small switch because I'm going to be adding 1 IP Security Camera to my home. With the possibility of adding 1-2 more to my home in the future.

Also the area where the switch will be I would like a smaller switch to take up less room so I can easily hide it away. I also found this one - »search.ncix.com/products ··· 88118316

Thanks
said by MaynardKrebs:

Do you need
a) 4 PoE ports in a larger switch,
or
b) 4 PoE ports and no additional ports?

Make sure you know your overall power requirements for all your connected devices (ones you have today + ones you think you'll buy tomorrow, eg. a PTZ PoE camera) BEFORE you choose a switch. Not all switches have the same overall power output.

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to bryanviper

to bryanviper
I've used the initial linked one for a few installs, works well for PoE phones which are fairly low power draw. haven't tried a camera on it.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to kevinds

to kevinds
This is the IP Camera that I bought.

»smartvisiondirect.com/in ··· ery=item

Are there are switches that can provide full power on the PoE ports? I want to plug it in and know it will work & not have to calculate how much power the cameras are drawing etc.

I either want a full switch that can provide power to All PoE ports OR say 4 PoE ports full power and the other 4 just regular or whatever.

fluffybunny
@69.172.160.x

fluffybunny to bryanviper

Anon

to bryanviper
get the netgear GS110TP.
ive bought 4 different POE switch models, this one was the best.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

It looks good.

Why was this one the best? What other issues have you had?

Thanks

fluffybunny
@69.172.160.x

fluffybunny

Anon

this one (needs to be updated to the latest fw when you get it btw - the shipped fw is crap) - full 802.11X support, full IPv6 support, full green ethernet support with auto sensing, direct measurement of power consumed, individual port and negotiation status, web interface, STP support, dual bios (image) support, everything you ever want in a switch.
other issues with other switches - not gigabit, no security on the wire, no web interface, no power measurement, no port status, no upgrading.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Interesting,

I'm considering the one you suggested, I defiantly don't want to get something thats not good or going to give me issues just to save a few bucks. I rather pay more and get something solid.
bryanviper

bryanviper

Ok so before I bite the bullet and buy a netgear GS110TP. Does anybody else have any other suggestions? Or anything I need to know?

I will have the IP camera hooked up to this new switch then an a network cable from the new switch to an already existing switch on my network. This should not cause an issue access the IP camera or anything else on the new switch right?

Thanks
TheVedge
join:2008-03-06
Gatineau, QC

TheVedge

A question: Will you be using that switch only to power the camera?

fluffybunny
@69.172.160.x

fluffybunny to bryanviper

Anon

to bryanviper
yup. i would enable STP on the GS (since youre going switch to switch) and make sure you upgrade the FW to the latest on the GS and also use a gigabit ethernet cat 5e/cat 6 cable (since you need all 8 wires).

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper to TheVedge

to TheVedge
No I will also have a Smart TV & a Android box running on this switch.
bryanviper

bryanviper to fluffybunny

to fluffybunny
Sounds good I will enable and upgrade the firmware.

I will only be using cat6 & cat6a on my network. nothing lower then cat6 here.
TheVedge
join:2008-03-06
Gatineau, QC

TheVedge to bryanviper

to bryanviper
The reason I'm asking is that I've had issues with budget PoE switches. If you don't need more than 1 port, I'd consider a PoE injector.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Oh I see,

Unfortunately no. I will have 3 devices on it now & then possibly adding another IP camera in the future & you never know what else might get connected as time goes on.

Thanks

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
said by bryanviper:

Are there are switches that can provide full power on the PoE ports? I want to plug it in and know it will work & not have to calculate how much power the cameras are drawing etc.

I have a number of PoE cameras, some relatively nice HD, and the highest draw one is 4.2 watts while most are right around 3.0 watts. "Full power PoE" is unnecessary and the vast majority of switches under $1k cannot do it.

For tiny, no frills switches I've used the TRENDnet TPE-S44 (4x 10/100 PoE plus 4x 10/100 non-PoE) before with good results, but as it's unmanaged there's no web interface or anything. For gigabit and/or web managed I like D-Link's DGS-1210-10P as it has the standard "smart" switch feature set (VLANs, 802.1X, IPv6, PoE status, etc), a decent amount of power, supports 802.3at on 2 ports plus 802.3af on the other 6, and has 2 non-PoE ports for uplinks (with SFP slots). It is a bit more expensive though, but you can sometimes get a good deal on them on ebay.

/M

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

to fluffybunny
I ended up pulling the trigger and bought the netgear GS110TP

Rather pay a little bit more and get something that wont give me issues down the line or have the extra features which is good.
bryanviper

to fluffybunny
Got the switch, Updating the firmware as I type this.

Its a nice switch I was expecting something bigger which is why I wanted to keep it to 4 port however I'm totally fine with this size, it will work well.

Thanks
said by fluffybunny :

yup. i would enable STP on the GS (since youre going switch to switch) and make sure you upgrade the FW to the latest on the GS and also use a gigabit ethernet cat 5e/cat 6 cable (since you need all 8 wires).

ratel
join:2014-05-29
Canada

ratel

I can't speak to that model specifically, but we got 2 Netgear GS108T at work and we're really pleased with the build quality and features. They replaced 2 TrendNET unmanaged gigabit switches, one of which was treating our 100mbps workstation as 10mbps. I was glad for the replacements, and you can't go wrong with lifetime warranty vs 1-3 year stuff... I hope the GS110TP works out well for ya.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

So far so good, its up and running. Lots of useful options and such.

Thanks
coolspot18
join:2012-10-23

coolspot18

said by bryanviper:

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade some of my camera hardware as well - did you buy the camera direct from SmartVisionDirect or from another camera retailer in the GTA? How was the ordering process?

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Click for full size
Click for full size
I went right to their Sauga store and bought the Camera from there.

Here are two pictures from my ip camera.
said by coolspot18:

said by bryanviper:

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade some of my camera hardware as well - did you buy the camera direct from SmartVisionDirect or from another camera retailer in the GTA? How was the ordering process?

rodjames
Premium Member
join:2010-06-19

rodjames to bryanviper

Premium Member

to bryanviper
I have an SRW2008 with PoE that you can buy from me
coolspot18

coolspot18 to bryanviper

to bryanviper
said by bryanviper:

I went right to their Sauga store and bought the Camera from there.

Ah cool, what's the price for each of those cameras? Is the in-store price $412.20 each? I need to replace 8 of my cameras ...

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Nope this camera was $169/each if I'm not mistaken for my 3mp. the 2mp was I think $149/each.
coolspot18

coolspot18

On the site, it lists the camera as:
Member Price : $458 Your Price: $412.20

Strange; wonder why the online prices are so off as they seem to have an accurate site.

However $169 for an IP camera is very cheap.

bryanviper
Toronto, CAN

bryanviper

Not sure,

I was talking to somebody there through email for a while now. and I know the cameras were on special maybe they gave me the special price? I would email them and confirm but I got a feeling the price on the website is just not updated.