Farchord to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Re: CRTC wholesale mobile wireless services hearings on now

said by MaynardKrebs:

Agenda for Friday

Quebecor Media Inc. (int. #30)
Vaxination Informatique (int. #32)

@JF
If there's a person sitting right behind you when you present, it's a Bell hit man.

I can just imagine a guy wearing a suit like in Men in Black, but in Bell-blue....

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

said by creed3020:

I completely missed Bibic's presentation so that is on my agenda tonight I hope.

Wear a garland of garlic, and have some wooden stakes and siver bullets handy while you watch. You'll need them.

I was going to ask for a preparedness guide but this will do just fine
creed3020

creed3020 to bklass

Premium Member

to bklass
said by bklass:

said by creed3020:

If an MNVO regime gets approved I'm worried what the cost to new entrants will be. The incumbents will be the ones sucking out the profits...

The question dovetails with one that Pentefountas posed as well: Is a third set of facilities the socially optimal approach?

Do we want to keep duplicating facilities in order to pursue facilities based competitors, at a greater social cost, or should we look at two sets of competing facilities as optimal and impose social obligations to cooperate in their use?

That is an excellent point Ben. At what point do we have enough physical plant in the field and we're just duplicating and duplicating....nevermind the bombardment of wireless signals each additional physical network adds, however, that is another topic entirely.....

We realistically only need so much physical plant because well that is limited first by spectrum. This then drives us to the point that if this resource is limited, yet in demand and we need corrective action to open up valuable yet limited resource. Canadians are robbed of competition because of no sharing in the sandbox per say. Where that limit lies is going to be very tricky to define, as it is influenced by demand and the technology.
creed3020

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Videotron is really hitting the point hard that the incumbents got their spectrum for peanuts and that yesteryear cannot be compared to today in the deployment of new extrants network.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Videotron just stated that they have 560,000 subscribers.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Videotron has a shared LTE network in Quebec, and Videotron & Rogers can BOTH sell wholesale access to that network to other players.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Yeah they've mentioned a few times that when they started as an MNVO they had 60k subs and with their own network to differentiate their products that they have 600k subscribers. Look like they round up
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Videotron is complaining that Canadian roaming is vastly more expensive than US roaming.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Pentefountas is now saying Quebecor are hypocrites about calling others giants LOL
creed3020

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Horizontally and vertically integrated company is claiming that CRTC cannot consider this as part of the proceeding. Right....
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

Videotron has a shared LTE network in Quebec, and Videotron & Rogers can BOTH sell wholesale access to that network to other players.

Videotron doesn't want regulated roaming rates.
I guess that Videotron & Rogers want to be able to 'golf' when Wind comes asking for an unregulated roaming rate. Nudge, nudge. Wink, wink. Say no more.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Videotron is ok with regulated tower access but wants all sorts of 'future needs' exceptions.

Videotron talking about all sorts of ex-post wrangling for tower sharing.
Better to have an ex-ante hard rule which is applicable to all tower owners.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Videotron: Incumbents are capable of anything {plays sinister music}

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Videotron is clearly in an awkward spot here, calling other companies incumbents when in other product markets they are clearly an incumbent, albeit a powerful regional one rather than national. Pot is calling kettle black.

Legal has some questions
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Videotron complaining about games incumbents play regarding tower sharing.

I think it's worth re-reading my post earlier in this thread for some ideas on how to introduce some element of fairness into this matter.
»Re: CRTC wholesale mobile wireless services hearings on now
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

JF is up next.
I wonder if he got 'undue preference' during bathroom break.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

I see him on the cameras now, so looks we're good to go
creed3020

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Is there seriously a fire alarm going off....
creed3020

creed3020

Premium Member

LOL there is a fire alarm going

Okay just a test..?..all done
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

JF calls out Bell on out-of-territory selling
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

JF almost swore.. Caught himself just in time.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

CRTC blew JF off.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

I missed most of it, will need to re-listen to it...
alexb4
join:2010-01-13
Gatineau

alexb4

Is there some way of going back and watching it or do we have to wait for CPAC to post it in the archives?
bklass
Premium Member
join:2012-02-06
Canada

bklass

Premium Member

CPAC will post in the archives, it's been taking a day or two til they show up. Today's was short so it could be up by tonight. I thought it was too bad that JF got hurried along and not too many questions.

He gave a good lay of the land based on what was said during the hearing and also brought in a no-nonsense view on the possibilities associated with MVNO and the incentives with the other proposed forms of regulation.
fmradio68
join:2013-07-05
Montreal, QC

1 edit

fmradio68 to creed3020

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

Pentefountas is now saying Quebecor are hypocrites about calling others giants LOL

That is what I say here abpot Videotron to the videotwits(Videotron fanboys). They have more power here than any other company
said by creed3020:

Horizontally and vertically integrated company is claiming that CRTC cannot consider this as part of the proceeding. Right....

They control 50% of the media and have been coddled for decades.
They charge higher internet wholesale rates than all the others. Twice as much as Bell and Rogers.
fmradio68

fmradio68 to alexb4

to alexb4
Was at work but would really like to see this hearing.

So bklass, you think it will be available tonight?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Keep checking here :

»www.cpac.ca/en/digital-a ··· rch=CRTC

As you can see, yesTURDay morning was the newest at the time that I typed this post.

I live-captured part of the CNOC's period from the other day, but thought that JF's actual time slot would be after lunch today, so I missed doing that for his.

Clearly, I forgot that Friday afternoon had been reserved for 'Golfing'.

= = = = = = =

BTW, the on-demand archive streams do not seem capturable by the app which I use.

If someone knows of an app which WILL grab the archived streams, please share that info.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to bklass

Premium Member

to bklass
said by bklass:

CPAC will post in the archives, it's been taking a day or two til they show up. Today's was short so it could be up by tonight. I thought it was too bad that JF got hurried along and not too many questions.

He gave a good lay of the land based on what was said during the hearing and also brought in a no-nonsense view on the possibilities associated with MVNO and the incentives with the other proposed forms of regulation.

Yes I noted how short JF's time in front of the commission was. I left the feed for what was a short period by the time I had come back Blais was reading out the concluding remarks for the entire proceeding. Consider this against the time Quebecor had there is a large contrast. Heck even yourself Ben had much more time and developed a sense of admiration of your work with them to facilitate further discussion. They didn't rush you through is what I'm trying to get at.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

'Tee Time' was calling....