Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: CRTC wholesale mobile wireless services hearings on now

OK, I'll try to show more faith.

I have faith that we'll getting screwed again.

WAIT - that's pretty much what YOU just said !

Except that the CRTC is only the rubber-stamper to our screwing by big telecom.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Actually the CRTC is just the rubber-stamper for the PM.
And we know that evidence & facts are an anathema to him, vis. Stats Canada & census, etc...
And today we get word that the CRTC is now ignoring evidence from Netflix & Google.

Time to play our new fun game show ..... "Syllogism or Not".

1-800-Can-You-See-a-Pattern. Sure, I knew that you could.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Mobilicity Proposed Wholesale Roaming Rates

said by elwoodblues:

said by creed3020:

Even with the new rates I still discourage my wife to roam when on Wind Away, with new rates like Mobilicity has suggested I would be comfortable to swallow the increased cost on a month by month basis.

I look at it this way, I pay Wind 30 bucks a month, any even remotely comparable will run me double on Robellus.

So when I go visit family in Elora, or go to the cottage, yes I'm away, but i won't be spending 30 bucks each and every month in roaming charges.

You got it completely. The additional cost of roaming, if there is any in a month, is still fair less than the base cost + roaming as compared to an Robellus package with similar features.

In regards to the other chats going on about separation of the towers from the "companies" surely this could benefit customers in Canada by providing a level playing fields for expansion regardless whether they are new entrants or existing providers. I just worry how much golfing will occur to get the prime positions, and then we'll be right back in this mess once more......

Where I can listen to Ben's time infront of the commission? I missed that part yesterday.
creed3020

creed3020 to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs

Re: CRTC wholesale mobile wireless services hearings on now

Bragg aka Eastlink is up to bat!
creed3020

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Interesting discourse around "why build if roaming is cheaper", and therefore how does tower sharing really matter.
creed3020

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Getting tense with Telus. Molnar is calling out some good questions.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Tacit offered a humourous analogy regarding CNOC's engaging in an innovative form of bundling and triple play, in that they will be participating in all 3 of this season's CRTC public hearings.

I did not realize that CNOC was planning to be as active in the mobile end of things, but this sounds positive.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Click for full size
Answer for Commissioner Menzies
Menzies asked for what a good share would look like, well we can have some fun with that with Pie charts.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

The guys from Wind are pretty smart, they talk about Time sunsets instead of market share sunsets.

They're showing that they want to grown and not sit just below an arbitrary number in order to gain maximum benefit.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues :

T-mobile is offering 4 lines UNLIMITED, plus 2.5gb of Data/line (till 2016, then 10 bucks a month/per line) for $100.

4 lines with 2.5GB of data for $100, lines 5 - 10 are $10 extra with bundled 2.5GB. Mind you, the data offer goes down to 1GB in 2016. TMO also gives you free international data throttled at 128Kbps and free texts in 200 countries. Oh, and while roaming you can use free Wi-Fi calling or just eat the mere 20¢ minute rate in the 200 countries. Beyond this, TMO will also pay your ETF off from the other carriers, up to $350 for each cancel (max five lines). Oh, and the trade-in for iPhone 4's might end today, $200 each. You can trade-in up to ten devices.

Sick yet? Guess how I know all this.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

I was out of the office all day and didn't get to watch the proceedings today, but I gather Telus was spreading fear and doom by stating that service quality would go in the shitter if competition were allowed.

Maybe the service Telus offers would be a pile of hot smelly manure, but I'm sure everyone else - especially the upstarts - would be doing their best to offer a better product than Telus.

If Telus wants to wallow in the feces, let them. Their current customers will vote with their feet & wallets and walk away. The irony of that would be that yet again we'd be left with 3 national carriers - only one of them wouldn't be Telus

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

You are correct. They especially stated this when it comes to MNVOs. They said they are running their RAN so thin due to "spectrum shortage" that they are dropping below their market defined download speed threshold of acceptability for their own customers, so therefore, they could not allow any MNVOs to operate on their network.....but they sure can seem to let Bell customers roam on it fine....

I've personally never used Telus and my wife dumped them back in 2006 I believe.

The had a FULL table of people up front (8-10), not surprised by this, but contrast that with Mobility who had two people at the table and you get the perfect analogy of what is wrong with the market. Mr Woodhead sure seemed quite sleazy in more than a few instances when he passed off questions to his cronies to butter up the commissioners with more fud.

CNOC had a great outing and we got to see Mr Christian Tacit, and Mr William Sandiford whom we already know here. the focus here was really on a bunch of great points but came back to allowing MNVOs get into the market so that organizations represented by CNOC can move up from a single or dual play to a dual or triple play respectively. This was really championed by the Distributel CEO and there was a lot of speak of wanting to market wireless based on ethnic groupings. This to me sounded a lot like CIK Telecom Inc as they market mostly to the Asian population base for example.

Today we have another full roster and big Red is going to share with us

Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Roslyn Layton (int. #20)
Rogers Communications (int. #13)
Mobilexchange Ltd. (int. #10)
Tucows Inc. (int. #9)
Canadian Cable Systems Alliance Inc. (int. #21)
creed3020

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
So Roslyn Layton, an American PhD Fellow, working in Denmark is presenting what is basically a dissertation that the success that is claimed in Europe is myth not fact.

Her presentation is going to VERY nicely play into the hands of the Incumbents...
creed3020

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
So Rogers is up, they literally have 10 people spread across two tables. The introduction was a resume of their awesomeness... Very humble

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

And Rogers is nothing if not awesomely humble.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

And now they are sucking up to Pentefountas saying that they are a gentle arbitrator.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

1 edit

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Engelhart: Yes, allowing new entrants to roam on our rural (and other) towers boosts our revenue & profits - but we'd really rather have all the revenue (paraphrased).

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
"Yes the truth will set you free" Pentefountas to Engleheart

So far Rogers is really slamming the rivals but they are bringing really strong points forward that I'm sure the CRTC cannot ignore. Their CEO is a good speaker.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Rogers is bitching that Wind hasn't built out the Wind network further into suburban wasteland.

If Rogers (and the CRTC) looked at at Wind's actual builds (the link to the website for that info was posted on DSLr a few weeks ago), they'd see that Wind is constantly/slowly building new cell sites - gradually expanding Wind's own network.

Rogers is saying "We sucked the lifeblood out of Wind by opposing them on Canadian ownership, dragged our feet in tower sharing, raped them on roaming fees, and generally delayed and obfuscated every dealing with them, and now we, Rogers, want you, the CRTC, to punish Wind further for our behaviour towards them."
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Menzies should just DEMAND that Bell/Telus file their network sharing agreement, and that Rogers/Videotron also file their agreements by 5pm on Monday (in confidence, of course).
MaynardKrebs

1 edit

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Engelhart is now knocking all new entrants for not being able to build a national network in 12 days, vs. the 30 years that Bell/Rogers have had to do a national network build (replete with their own rural gaps in coverage & speeds).
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Rogers said that they spent $20B out of $66B on capex over a long period of time (missed the number of years). They also didn't explicitly say whether the $66B was for wireless only, or whether it included cable operations, Blue Jays, etc....

In the remaining $46B they include spectrum, but neglect to say that amount also includes executive compensation, first-class air travel, Monte Cristo cigars & cognac to celebrate screwing new entrants and pulling the wool over the CRTC's eyes.

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Just got back to the stream. Looks like Robbers is still causing ears to bleed. This one is taking a while...
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

@ about 3hr. 48min. into today's hearing, Molnar accepts that cost/MB drops every year and that roaming prices drop as a result.

So Commissioner Molnar, where are the yearly price drops for wireless prices as opposed to increased prices for lower caps?

And "Golly gee whiikers Mr. Wilson" where are the commensurate price drops in DSL for the same technical/market advances?

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Rogers says they need an arbitrator but then says that rules from Industry Canada are already sufficient....
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

1 edit

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Did Engelhart just imply that Wind is only paying Rogers $4MM/year for roaming (based on post August 2014 rates - or based on the previous 5 years)???

creed3020
Premium Member
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

I would have to assume that or it's just an arbitrary example pulled out of the air.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Engelhart is now knocking all new entrants for not being able to build a national network in 12 days, vs. the 30 years that Bell/Rogers have had to do a national network build (replete with their own rural gaps in coverage & speeds).

You forget the free spectrum they got at the onset, saving them a bundle.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Just bringing this back is as it is appropriate
»Nationalize the incumbents? Nah - break 'em up!
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

Testifying this afternoon
Mobilexchange Ltd. (int. #10)
Tucows Inc. (int. #9)
Canadian Cable Systems Alliance Inc. (int. #21)