hdspts2 to ansky

Anon

to ansky

Re: [Guide] IMG 1.9.7

said by ansky:

This week should be VHO8.
Next week VHO6.
Week of 11/17 is VHO 7.

I am in VH07 and just received notification of the upcoming IMG update. What has been the lead time in aready updated ares from receiipt of the new IMG notification and its implementation? Could I expect an update later this week, or has the lead time from notification to implementation been longer and fits in with the previously quoted dates (in other words, implementaiotn for next week)?

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

VHO6 is today.
VHO7 is 11/18

HenryFarpolo
Premium Member
join:2003-08-31
Andover, MA

1 edit

HenryFarpolo

Premium Member

Got the update this AM. Love the HD auto-switch option. Don't like the guide color palette. Too busy!!

Wish there was an option to switch the palette off.

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to nascar

to nascar
I notice that the Auto Tune HD feature only works if I direct enter the SD channel number.. "Surfing" using ch up/dwn lands & stays on the SD channel ..
It would be a nice addition if up/dwn was added to the Auto HD option ...
damink23
join:2002-08-19
Marlborough, MA

damink23 to HenryFarpolo

to HenryFarpolo
Where is the Auto HD option again? I tried to find it this morning.

matcarl
Premium Member
join:2007-03-09
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl to MeatChicken

Premium Member

to MeatChicken
said by MeatChicken:

I notice that the Auto Tune HD feature only works if I direct enter the SD channel number.. "Surfing" using ch up/dwn lands & stays on the SD channel ..
It would be a nice addition if up/dwn was added to the Auto HD option ...

No one reported that before, that's no so great then if it's not going to work while landing on a chanel by pressing the up or down channel
blue_trooper
join:2007-04-17
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

said by matcarl:

that's no so great then if it's not going to work while landing on a chanel by pressing the up or down channel

I can see why they may have done this. If you're surfing a stretch of similarly themed channels you may want to stay put in SD to see all of them and not get bounced away to the HD area.

For example, let's say you LOVE home shopping channels. If you wanted to surf among all six of them you'd need to stay in SD. If you got re-tuned to 651 every time you went down to HSN, you'd have to manually enter 152 to get back to Jewelry TV.

I'd personally rather have root-canal than surf home shopping networks but I think it's possible that the current behavior may have been a design decision and not a defect.

Also, if you have the auto tune turned on this would only happen to you if you started off by manually tuning to an SD-only station in the first place.

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar

Exactly.
said by blue_trooper:

said by matcarl:

that's no so great then if it's not going to work while landing on a chanel by pressing the up or down channel

I can see why they may have done this. If you're surfing a stretch of similarly themed channels you may want to stay put in SD to see all of them and not get bounced away to the HD area.

For example, let's say you LOVE home shopping channels. If you wanted to surf among all six of them you'd need to stay in SD. If you got re-tuned to 651 every time you went down to HSN, you'd have to manually enter 152 to get back to Jewelry TV.

I'd personally rather have root-canal than surf home shopping networks but I think it's possible that the current behavior may have been a design decision and not a defect.

Also, if you have the auto tune turned on this would only happen to you if you started off by manually tuning to an SD-only station in the first place.

damink23
join:2002-08-19
Marlborough, MA

damink23 to billhere

to billhere
said by billhere:

Verizon seems to have buried the "auto-tune HD" switch. I found it, but I wouldn't have even known to look for it since I don't recall anything from Verizon about adding this feature. I found out about it from this forum.

I like this feature, which Dish and DirecTV have had for many years. I'm somewhat surprised that turning the feature on isn't the default setting.

Where did you find this? I am trying to search on here but cannot find the answer.

MeatChicken
Paramus, NJ

2 edits

MeatChicken to nascar

to nascar
said by nascar:

Exactly.

said by blue_trooper:

said by matcarl:

That's why "auto tune hd by flip" should be made a choice in the auto tune setting screen .. most of us would select "yes", but it would be available for those such as your theoretical home SD shopping fanatic ...
*** Does anyone know how flip - autotune works ( or doesn't work) with other providers??

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by MeatChicken:

Does anyone know how flip - autotune works ( or doesn't work) with other providers??

With Cablevision you can channel surf, and when you get to a channel that is available in HD, it shows you HD but doesn't swtich itself to the HD channel position, so if you just wanted to continue channel surfing, you would just go to where you left off.
blue_trooper
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

Does the new IMG still have the "Press C for HD" option in the info bar?

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by blue_trooper:

Does the new IMG still have the "Press C for HD" option in the info bar?

Yes, but you need a magnifying glass to see it

MeatChicken
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

said by MeatChicken:

Does anyone know how flip - autotune works ( or doesn't work) with other providers??

With Cablevision you can channel surf, and when you get to a channel that is available in HD, it shows you HD but doesn't swtich itself to the HD channel position, so if you just wanted to continue channel surfing, you would just go to where you left off.

Bingo!
That needs to be a future update ....
blue_trooper
Exton, PA

blue_trooper

Just curious...

Does anybody here really surf in SD territory with any frequency.

matcarl
Premium Member
Franklin Square, NY

matcarl

Premium Member

said by blue_trooper:

Just curious...

Yes, there are a few Showtimes not in HD that I surf, I surf the Local Plus channels, I check out Chiller, a few of the movie channels in between 230-236 are not in HD, plus my daughter watches a few of the Nick channels that are not in HD.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to blue_trooper

Premium Member

to blue_trooper
said by blue_trooper:

Only SD channel EVER watched in the house is Weatherscan Local on 49. Maybe FoxSports 2 sometimes when a Champions League match is on - but the quality is so horrible I have to turn it off after 5 minutes.

charliewatts
join:2013-04-10

charliewatts to nascar

to nascar
I still go to SD for the Encore Suite, H2, Ovation and HLN. I surf the SD news neighborhood for HLN, BBCW, Fusion, etc.

rpjoe
Premium Member
join:2007-09-22
Rochelle Park, NJ

rpjoe to blue_trooper

Premium Member

to blue_trooper
H2 VH1classic
billhere
join:2011-10-21
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

billhere to damink23

to damink23
said by damink23:

said by billhere:

Verizon seems to have buried the "auto-tune HD" switch. I found it, but I wouldn't have even known to look for it since I don't recall anything from Verizon about adding this feature. I found out about it from this forum.

I like this feature, which Dish and DirecTV have had for many years. I'm somewhat surprised that turning the feature on isn't the default setting.

Where did you find this? I am trying to search on here but cannot find the answer.

Menu-->Settings-->Television-->Auto Tune to HD-->On

shadowcaster1
join:2008-04-21
Dix Hills,NY

shadowcaster1

VHO5-Have had the update for some time now and last night both dvr's rebooted. So some sort of small update seems to have arrived, however, I can't find any changes/additions. Anyone else?

Rattler
join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

Rattler

Now that I've played with 1.9.7 for a week, here's another change:

On a DVR, if you pause a show on one channel and go to another channel, when you hit the "Last" button to go back to the first show, it has kept running but then it pauses at the new time position. e.g. if you are away for two minutes, those two minutes still pass on the paused show.

With 1.9.5, if you paused a show, went to another and then back, the first show stayed paused at the point where you left it.

It's not something you'd do a lot but I do it, occasionally.
shark2k
join:2008-06-01
West Orange, NJ

shark2k to matcarl

to matcarl
said by matcarl:

said by MeatChicken:

I know what you're talking about as I have a friend with Cablevision. After reading what you wrote, I actually think that would work to implement how Cablevision does it but still keep the menu item to turn it off (or even make the C button do the opposite action if you have auto-tune HD turned on, i.e. if you switch to an HD channel with an SD equivalent pressing C would take you to the SD channel). This would allow you to switch to the SD channel for an HD channel that likes to do stetch-o-vision. Of course, even with this pressing C on an SD channel would take you to the HD channel (if it exists).

Nascar, get this idea to the right people

-Shark2k

nascar
join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ

nascar

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was trying to talk to FiOS_Feed I was criticized for trying to get some auto tune features from the typical "know it all's" around here.

»IMG 1.9.6 for Cisco boxes

So LOL. Nope.
said by shark2k:

said by matcarl:

said by MeatChicken:

I know what you're talking about as I have a friend with Cablevision. After reading what you wrote, I actually think that would work to implement how Cablevision does it but still keep the menu item to turn it off (or even make the C button do the opposite action if you have auto-tune HD turned on, i.e. if you switch to an HD channel with an SD equivalent pressing C would take you to the SD channel). This would allow you to switch to the SD channel for an HD channel that likes to do stetch-o-vision. Of course, even with this pressing C on an SD channel would take you to the HD channel (if it exists).

Nascar, get this idea to the right people

-Shark2k

MeatChicken
Paramus, NJ

2 edits

MeatChicken to matcarl

to matcarl
Another thing I notice with 1.9.7...
You always used to be able , when in most menus, to generally select and complete your actions using the arrow keys & "OK " button matrix area of the remote ...
Now, when wanting to pad time to a selected recording, ( say, add a min or 5 mins), you can us the arrows/ok ect to get all the way to the amount of pad time, & then suddenly it's a "dead end", & you can't anymore save or complete the selection/action simply with the arrow/OK key, as it always was, & instead, there's now a message telling you to find & hit the "A" key at the bottom of the remote to complete the selection! Why??
No longer intuitive, doesn''t seem nessesary to suddenly have to "remove your thumb" from the arrow/OK area & find the odd key at the bottom of the remote ...
jr461
join:2006-12-21
Montvale, NJ

jr461

I guess I'll find out next week but I hope 1.9.7 doesn't start demanding the letter keys with any frequency. I have my universal programmed perfectly as is without them for 99.9% of my needs.

Even with the Fios remote, you would have to look at the remote to find them, making it highly inefficient and perhaps even clumsy or difficult in a dark room. Arrows and OK are intuitive and easy to use without looking.

Anyway, really looking forward to it from what I've seen and heard for the most part and I'll reserve judgement until I've had a chance to play with it myself.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

I programmed one key on my Harmony remote for the "C" key because there are several new items that require fewer steps with its use, e.g. to delete a recorded program if you use the "C" key you immediately get the prompt to confirm the deletion. The same alternative as pre-1.9.7 (with the item highlighted press OK, scroll to delete, then okay again) is still available -- it's just easier using the "C" key because it's fewer steps.
TonyD79
join:2010-04-08
Ellicott City, MD

TonyD79 to jr461

to jr461
You don't need to use the A key. Click okay then scroll up to save changes.
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

said by TonyD79:

...similar to the "C" example I mentioned.
Gerryex
join:2006-05-19
Land O Lakes, FL

Gerryex to TonyD79

to TonyD79
said by TonyD79:

Or hit the Exit button (yes its another button but one that I use often and can go to it without looking, but I have the Harmony One remote which has a very nice layout) and then a popup appears that asks if you want to save the changes and then you can OK.

Gerry