All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
NatchEngel2
join:2011-04-16

NatchEngel2

earthlink speed upgrade problem

so I got a letter in the mail telling me that Earthlink Cable with Time Warner has increased my speeds from 20/2 to 100/10

I went out and swapped out modems at TWC to get the docsis 3.0 modem

However I'm still getting the same 20/2 speeds

I called TWC and they did their troubleshooting steps and sent me over to T3 because they couldnt figure it out. T3 confirmed my area has the speed increase but they can't figure it out either. Then I heard another person tell the rep I was on the phone with "Welp he might have to switch to Time Warner"

The rep then proceeded to tell me that "it was a mistake" that Earthlink Cable isn't getting the speed increase, only time warner customers, and if I want the 100/10 I have to switch over from Earthlink to TWC and there was nothing else they could do for me, despite the letter saying otherwise.

Anyone else get the speed increase through EL or is this true and I have to switch over?

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

This upgrade is only for TWC customer only not Earthlink. It is worth it for me. The price of the 100/10 plan from TWC is 44.99 promo price. If you buy your modem.
NatchEngel2

NatchEngel2

Is it really? The letter says "Time Warner Earthlink" on it, it came directly from Time Warner BUT it mentions Earthlink multiple times

It even has a chart telling me the Code names. It says Earthlink Standard is now "Earthlink Extreme" and Earthlink Cable Max is "Earthlink Ultimate 100"

I called Earthlink and they confirmed this too. But I still don't get the speeds

DFC
join:2011-11-08
Staten Island, NY

DFC

More TWC/Earthlink confusion. I haven't received the 'Maxx' upgrade letter yet. But a TWC tech told me this morning that all TWC customers would receive the upgrade, due to be rolled out on Staten Island, NYC sometime in 11/2014. My Earthlink 'Cable Broadband Standard' 15/1 will (supposedly) be increased to 30/5. Nothing official yet from TWC or Earthlink. Tech said my RCA DCM425 modem will be replaced by a new modem, brand name I forgot, and that I could go to the TWC office and pick one up now if I want to.
NatchEngel2

NatchEngel2

Yeah I spent 4 hours on the phone yesterday with TWC and EL.

The TWC tech told me my account was flagged as an EL account that can get the new speeds. He even confirmed the speeds are in my area right now, but he has no idea why I can't get it. I have my docsis 3.0 modem provided by TWC.

They keep telling me to talk to Earthlink, and when I talk to EL they tell me my account is set up for the new speeds and it has to be a technical support problem. TS keeps telling me that it's an EL problem. I've been escalated to a Tier 3 tech multiple times and both sides keep pointing fingers. I have no idea where to go to get this to change.

DFC
Staten Island, NY

DFC

The business relationship between TWC and EL is poor at best. A few years ago I had a TWC/EL billing mistake that was only cleared up when a helpful EL employee read my post on this board and worked with TWC to correct the problem. Prior to that I'd called both companies to no avail. Calling TWC is tolerable but calling EL is a nightmare. The reps english is often terrible and seem not to know a damn thing.
NatchEngel2

NatchEngel2

You're not kidding, talking to EL is a nightmare. The last rep I spoke to at EL last night put me on hold for a minute to "make some changes". He said if I hang up and wait 10 minutes my speeds will be corrected. I asked what changes he made and he told me "it would be illegal for me to tell you that, just trust me"

I knew he was just trying to get me off the phone. Next day and nothing was corrected.

DFC
Staten Island, NY

DFC

Would be funny except that we are paying for this service. Pathetic.
NatchEngel2

NatchEngel2

New excuse: Ubee Docsis 3.0 modems don't actually support speeds greater than 20mbps, even though they were provided by TWC!

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Tell them the docsis 3 standard of modems and you'll be fine
NatchEngel2

NatchEngel2

Trust me, I have. I'm still being pushed around. Time Warner techs seem to at least be more knowledgeable but they still direct me back to EL. The EL reps are absolutely worthless and won't deviate from their script, the second I inform them there is a problem they transfer me to TWC support.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Say if the sb6121 is a 4x4 modem that tops up to 50mbps then will the ubee can't. Also tell that rep is common sense.

DFC
Staten Island, NY

DFC

Click for full size
TWC_Maxx_10-2014.pdf
1,229,200 bytes
No mention of Earthlink in the new speed categories.
chromoly
join:2014-10-06
Beverly Hills, CA

chromoly to NatchEngel2

to NatchEngel2
For what it's worth, I received a similar letter, bought a DOCSIS 3 modem, called TWC to activate it, and got an immediate speed improvement.

Specifics: I'm in Los Angeles. I was on Earthlink's 15/5 Mbps service and have been upgraded to 50/5 Mbps (still Earthlink, but service provided by TWC). I bought a cheap, used uBee U10C046 modem/wireless gateway (DOCSIS 3.0, 8x4 channels). The modem web UI shows that it syncs to the full 8 download channels and 4 upload channels. The upload speed is consistently 5 Mbps. The download speed is more variable, and lower via wifi than ethernet cable connection. Via an ethernet cable, I got 53 Mbps to speedtest.net.
NatchEngel2

NatchEngel2

Since you're at 50/5 I assume you're using Earthlink Standard and not Earthlink Max? Since the max is at 100 / 10 while Standard is 50/5

But you said 15/5? I thought EL only had 15/1 and 20/2?

Also TWC called me today and told me they forgot to enable the speed update for EL customers in my area and it's going to take up to 48 hours to enable.

tonyram57
join:2001-11-08
Brooklyn, NY

tonyram57 to NatchEngel2

to NatchEngel2
I just got the 50/5 upgrade today. I am on Earthlink Cable using the SB6141 modem I bought a couple of years ago. So I did not need a SB6183 and Earthlink did get the Maxx boost.
chromoly
join:2014-10-06
Beverly Hills, CA

chromoly to NatchEngel2

to NatchEngel2
Yes, you're right: Earthlink Standard, which is 15/1, not 15/5, as you say.
charlesssy
join:2010-08-30
New York, NY

charlesssy to NatchEngel2

to NatchEngel2
My current speed before the upgrade was 20/2, after the upgrade i was on 50/5. So I went on live chat to talk to twc about the speed. The rep kept telling me Earthlink was their basic service and gets 50/5 speeds while I've been telling him the whole time that before the upgrade I was on 20/2.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Do you modem a 4x4 modem? You need to have a 8x4 modem like the Motorola sb6141 to get the full 100/10. Meanwile I'm enjoying my 200/20 from TWC.
»www.speedtest.net/my-res ··· 93771775

DFC
Staten Island, NY

1 edit

DFC to NatchEngel2

to NatchEngel2
Click for full size

Just noticed slight speed bump to approx 22/1.6 Nothing official yet from either TWC or EL.
DFC

DFC to NatchEngel2

to NatchEngel2
Click for full size
Click for full size
Today I received the official upgrade letter from TWC / Earthlink. It's very specific in stating that Earthlink customers will get the boost to either 50/5 or 100/10 depending on current plan.
david5182
join:2014-11-15
Staten Island, NY

david5182

I just got the same exact letter that DFC posted above. I have the EL Cable Max plan @20/2. I actually live near the TWC service center on Richmond Ave. Gonna stop by next week and get my new modem and do the upgrade.

WOOT!

DFC
Staten Island, NY

DFC

Delays in receiving modem, resolved through TWC FB page. Just installed my new Ubee DDM3521 modem. Pleasantly surprised by ease of process. One minor glitch - 'validating activation' did not complete, brought me back to activation page but modem is working. Will call TWC to straighten out.
david5182
join:2014-11-15
Staten Island, NY

david5182

Hi DFC,

Did your IP address remain the same after the upgrade?

Also, I have Ooma VOIP and IPTV. Hope that after the upgrade they continue working smoothly.

DFC
Staten Island, NY

DFC

IP address did change after the upgrade. Right now I'm getting 55.29 down, 4.59 up, ping 61 ms, via my wireless router (WD N750). Happy with those numbers but not techy enough to know why they jump around so much via wireless.

paradigmfl
join:2005-07-16

paradigmfl

said by DFC:

IP address did change after the upgrade. Right now I'm getting 55.29 down, 4.59 up, ping 61 ms, via my wireless router (WD N750). Happy with those numbers but not techy enough to know why they jump around so much via wireless.

Wireless can have many different factors affecting it. For instance interference from other wireless routers in your area or perhaps things like cordless phones.

From reading some reviews (»www.amazon.com/N750-Dual ··· 07KZQM9Q) assuming this is the right router it seems your router is more than capable however some people mention the speed can drop off significantly with distance. You might check that as well. That said the difference you posted is not bad at all IMO.

DFC
Staten Island, NY

DFC

I bought the WD N750 last year in a closeout sale, very cheap - $30. WD has since stopped manufacturing wireless routers. The N750 received generally positive reviews but WD's other wireless routers were apparently a disaster. It's perfect for my uses: laptop, printer, streaming blu-ray player.

Attached speedtest is via wireless, good numbers.