All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned)

iPhone 6 fingerprint scanner very sensitive to dirt and smudges?

Is it normal for the fingerprint scanner to be very sensitive to dust and dirt? I find I have to keep my fingers constantly clean and wiping down the home button, or else the scanner doesn't work properly. Is this normal and is the 6 better than the 5s at reading the fingers?

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

I can't comment on the "6" but the only issue I've had on my 5S is if my finger is...wet. Otherwise, normal dirt, etc., has not affected operation.

rod_pod
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT

rod_pod to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
I have the 6 and have not had any problems with dirt and dust. I normally try to keep my fingers reasonably clean when handling my phone but I have never had to wipe down the home button or wash my hands to get TouchID to work.
Expand your moderator at work

michieru
Premium Member
join:2009-07-25
Denver, CO

michieru to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro

Re: iPhone 6 fingerprint scanner very sensitive to dirt and smudges?

Biometric readers are always sensitive to dust and dirt. When I just finished washing my hands and my thumb still has a little bit of water my touch ID will not work with my 5s or my 6+ until I wiped my finger dry. The same will happen when I am heading to work and say I am holding a dunkin donuts ice coffee. My hands are wet from condensation on the cup. My fingerprint won't be read by our overpriced biometric reader at work either.

I also have issues when I have been lifting heavy items with a rough surface that rubs off my fingerprint. Normally Touch ID or at work takes two or three tries to verify me.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
Not had any issues with the 6, but with 5s it was iffy if fingers were wet.
Also, I noticed that after a month or so in between shutdowns, it didn't oerform as well, so I would reboot and it worked perfectly.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
I havent had any issues at all with my iPhone 6 Touch ID. I have registered both thumbs and have not had any problems unlocking the phone.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

said by HiVolt:

I have registered both thumbs ...

Here's a tip (that some might not be aware of)...
I set three of my five fingerprints to my right thumb, increasing the odds that it will be recognized. Never had any issues (except when it's wet).
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I havent had any issues at all with my iPhone 6 Touch ID. I have registered both thumbs and have not had any problems unlocking the phone.

How steady does your hand have to be when registering fingers on the iPhone Touch ID?

While I can merrily register all the fingers and thumb on my left hand, when I tried to register and finger or thumb on my right hand on the iPhone 5S that was sitting in the Apple Store one day, I couldn't get the phone to catch them.

(I had this same issue when I went to Japan last year, they wanted fingerprints from all ten fingers and thumbs, left hand fine, right hand I had to literally hold my right hand in place with my left to get clear enough prints that they were happy with)

NefCanuck

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

I had no issues registering both of my thumbs. I'll try adding both my index fingers right now just for kicks...

Edit: Added both index fingers and both are being recognized just fine and quickly.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to DarkSithPro

to DarkSithPro
No issues registering or using either of my thumbs for my iP6+. The sensor is sometimes slightly dusty but is nearly 100% accurate in use.

I love the function since I keep patient data on my phone.

Homunculus
Pipsquack
Premium Member
join:2000-12-14
Uranus

Homunculus to DarkSithPro

Premium Member

to DarkSithPro
Never worked that great with my 5S. It's great with the 6 Plus though. Way more reliable and consistent. With my 5S I was always typing my lock code anyway.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Maybe because it's a higher resolution sensor, I think I remember reading that somewhere, and it scans a wider area too.