spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jobr
join:2004-10-21
Halifax, NS

jobr

Misrouted calls

Over the last month or so, I've had a bunch of misrouted calls to my toll-free (1-866) number. It all started on August 20, when we received a large number of calls from area codes in the NYC metro area and Texas. The callers all spoke Spanish, we could only hear one side of the conversation and the callers could not hear us. I don't speak Spanish, but according to my girlfriend the callers were discussing everyday things - going dancing, for instance.

I put in a trouble ticket with voip.ms and they offered to do an internal port to another carrier. I'm not sure if that actually made any difference, but since then the calls have slowed to a trickle, one every few days.

Just a little while ago, I received a call from 979-647 (a Windstream number in Sweeny, Texas). This call was a little different in that the audio was in English and it kept cutting between different people. I heard the fragments "Hi Joe, I'm making this call 'cause of the audio separation", "You have reached the Canadian University in Havana" and "Your call has been disconnected due to a misdialed number."

Does anyone have any theories what could cause this and what to do about it? Due to the area codes involved and the Spanish language, my guess is that a phone card company aimed at the Spanish-speaking market is somehow misrouting calls.
jobr

1 recommendation

jobr

msg.wav
970,604 bytes
voicemail
And here's the audio from one of the first calls I received (recorded when the voicemail picked up).

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to jobr

Premium Member

to jobr
said by jobr:

You have reached the Canadian University in Havana

As in Cuba? AFAIK the official language of Cuba is Spanish - so if it is a carrier in Cuba causing the mixup, that might explain..
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer1 to jobr

Premium Member

to jobr
Similar occurrences previously documented.

»[VoIP.ms] VERY weird behaviour tonight
jobr
Halifax, NS

jobr to arpawocky

to arpawocky
I would assume Cuba, yes. Googling for "Canadian University Havana" doesn't turn up anything interesting, though. It's possible I misheard, but I don't think so.

The "I'm making this call because of the audio separation" piqued my interest. It sounded like an engineer leaving a voicemail for another engineer to discuss audio problems. Possibly "audio separation" could mean that someone is losing one leg of their calls and it gets routed to me.

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Similar occurrences previously documented.

»[VoIP.ms] VERY weird behaviour tonight

Interesting. That seems to be more about outbound calls than inbound though - otherwise its an almost identical phenomenon.

I wonder if the OP is on the receiving end of callers experiencing that problem with their outbound calls.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to jobr

Premium Member

to jobr
Are you being charged for these calls?
jobr
Halifax, NS

jobr

Yes, I am being charged. I expect no legitimate calls from Texas, so I guess I could blacklist those area codes but I'd rather not do that with NYC.
jobr

jobr to arpawocky

to arpawocky
Is there a reliable way of checking the RespOrg for a toll-free number, especially considering the number was recently ported?

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by jobr:

Is there a reliable way of checking the RespOrg for a toll-free number, especially considering the number was recently ported?

Yes. Visit http://www.800forall.com/ and enter the number into the search box in the upper right hand corner of the page above where it says "Who owns this number." It will tell you the resporg.
jobr
Halifax, NS

jobr

Thank you! My number is apparently with Navigata Communications. Hmm, hadn't heard of them before. Also, I believe this is not the same carrier that Mango was having trouble with.
russb52
join:2014-01-19
Port Orchard, WA

russb52 to jobr

to jobr
said by jobr:

"You have reached the Canadian University in Havana"

are you sure they didn't say Arcadia University in Havana ? The do have a student residence there close to The University of Havana »studyabroad.arcadia.edu/ ··· in-cuba/
jobr
Halifax, NS

jobr

Oh, that would make sense! Thank you. I wonder how a call to them found its way to me. I've asked voip.ms to look into this with the carrier, so we'll see what happens.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to jobr

Premium Member

to jobr
said by jobr:

Thank you! My number is apparently with Navigata Communications. Hmm, hadn't heard of them before.

They had a major ownership change this year, which was interesting for 2 reasons.

First, it involved the company called "Teliphone" whereas in my opinion there should be harsh punishment for making "cute" company names that are common words purposely spelled wrong.

Second, they said that it was easier to sell Navigata operations than to audit its books.

»globenewswire.com/news-r ··· ion.html