dallas1

dallas1

and i live in oshawa

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

it's the same in Ottawa, if it's anything like the last rollout of multiple channels for upstreams then it might take a 1 year or so.
dallas1
join:2014-04-16
Oshawa

dallas1

It in some part of oshawa
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to dallas1

to dallas1
There will be CRTC proceedings this fall that should cover this among other things. If you want more info, I would recommend to check out one of the threads in the Start forum - rocca already answered this several times.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i'm not sure what Rogers rollout for upgrades has to do with CRTC, they can't just upgrade every area at once.

Breadwinka
join:2008-06-08
Kitchener, ON

Breadwinka

they just released 150/10 and 250/10 packages for customers who couldn't get the higher uploads. they are the same price as the 150/15 and the 250/20 but great for people on the old ultimate plans who want to save some money.
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to dallas1

to dallas1
Rogers rolls out based on demand and competition. Can you get those speeds with bell?
So the area with the highest percentage of customers on the highest tier, or the customers who can get a faster speed by switching to Bell are the first to get upgraded.

Everyone else, is a low priority. If you can't get it from Bell, you're not going anywhere.
wayner92
join:2006-01-17
Toronto, ON

wayner92 to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

i'm not sure what Rogers rollout for upgrades has to do with CRTC

I think the relevant point here is that the OP is on Start which is a TPIA and Rogers typically hasn't allowed TPIAs access to the fastest tiers and/or charges them exorbinant rates. I have 250/20 with Rogers which gives me 1TB per month for $100. The best Teksavvy can do for me is 150/10 with 300GB for $80. Teksavvy has (or used to have) an unlimited option for 150/10 but that cost something like $230/month.

The hope is that the CRTC will force Rogers et al to also let the TPIA's have the same speed over their networks.
pkclown
join:2014-03-01
Chilliwack, BC

pkclown to dallas1

to dallas1
quote:
The hope is that the CRTC will force Rogers et al to also let the TPIA's have the same speed over their networks.
But for what it's worth:

a) What's preventing Rogers from forcing the TPIAs to pay a high premium ala the aforementioned $230/mo price when the original company's tier is $100/mo? Would this not defeat the point of the TPIA being "cheaper"?

b) More importantly, why is there such a strong appetite for the government to get involved in private business? Or am I wrong to consider the internet to be considered private business?
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

said by pkclown:

More importantly, why is there such a strong appetite for the government to get involved in private business?

Natural monopolies like cable and phone are a bit different. It doesn't make sense for multiple companies to be stringing fibre/coax across the city and into your home. Since the running of fibre/cable is a kind of common good you can make the argument that there should be regulation allowing other suppliers to use this common good.

This is similar to gas pipelines and, in some places, electricity distribution where the common carrier has to allow others on their networks, albeit for a fee. And without regulation they won't allow others on their network or that fee charged to third parties will be set to stifle competition with the incumbent.
akoostik
join:2013-11-07

akoostik to jmck

to jmck
I have 250/20 on Elgin St.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to wayner92

to wayner92
Just read an article about network.

Everyone's building nationally. Telus for example is having Ledcor run them what sounds like coast to coast fiber.

There is also rumor of A telus BCE merger.

I have a feeling it's about to get interesting. Telus/BCE? Would Rogers/Shaw be far behind?

Of course there's time warner/Cogeco to set an example.

National fiber interconnect is coming. I predict some big game changers in telecommunications soon.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

If Bell merged with Telus then they are going to have to sell one of the two wireless businesses as the govt would allow a market with only two players.

And the issue with Rogers merging with Shaw is that you cause an even farther concentration of media assets like TV stations. A whole bunch of those would have to be sold off.

Time Warner is buying Cogeco? I think you meant Comcast.
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
It's not unusual for big telcos to have anationwide fibre network. It's used mainly for their business divisions. Rogers, Bell, and Shaw already have nationwide fibre networks.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

The article I was reading was basically announcing Telus is looking to get into wire line business in the east. Mergers with BCTEL, owned by GTE who also owns telephone companies in Quebec and the maritime (forget which ones) and other acquisitions or partnerships (At&t, sprint as potential partners).

Reading between the lines, The old agreements of "you stay in your province, we will stay in ours" seem to have dissolved by Telus's aggressive expansion attempts.

So if they have... if everyone is starting to drop their own fiber to compete with Rogers/Bell who already laid coast to coast..

Rogers who is aggressively buying up cable companies, Bell who is aggressively buying media...

I get the feeling, in fact I'm almost willing to bet my left nut, that in the next 5 years, as an attempt to compete with Netflix and what not, mergers or Partnerships between all the big guys (Bell/Telus, and Rogers/Shaw) is perhaps very likely.

Especially if the Time Warner COMCAST (Yes Wayner92, comcast not Cogeco, I was tired and brain dead for a minute there).

I think it's coming. Mark my words.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr

Aggressive? Where has Telus expanded their residential footprint? Unless one of these companies find themselves in financial trouble, I highly doubt a merger would ever be approved. Also the economics of overbuilding just doesn't make sense and you'd be hard pressed to find Telus expanding in Bell and Rogers territories.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

»www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 14-05-07

They will be expanding out to Quebec. That doesn't mean 100% they will be launching wire line services, but let's be honest.. why run the network if you won't use it.

Now that's out to quebec, which isn't a Rogers or Bell territory, but it is their backyard.

This aggressive action from Telus, is causing Bell to be wary and both are bolstering up their business.

»www.thecanadianencyclope ··· -merger/
cepnot4me

cepnot4me

I've got no proof or evidence towards anything. (Obviously).

I looked at SHAW, Did you know they just restructured their executives pensions to be maintained if SHAW didn't exist anymore? The Shaw family is buying up SHAW stock indirectly which signals a sale of the company to stock analysts?

I think, Rogers and Shaw who have always had a business relationship, might be talking about combining their force in some capacity. Sale, Merger, trade (Rogers gives shaw all their Media interests, Shaw gives Rogers their wire line division.)

Read this article.
»business.financialpost.c ··· analyst/

In the grand picture, everyone's making these potentially national network moves. The old territory agreements all gone, why wouldn't Bell, Rogers, Telus all go coast to coast?
Would industry Canada say no?
Hard to say. As the telecom companies keep getting bought up by the big three, eventually the big 3 or 4 if you include Shaw, Will need to directly compete with each other in all regions in order to keep some semblance of competition.
cepnot4me

cepnot4me

The round about reason for all of that, is to answer to the ops question.

Faster speeds will come with more aggressive competition.

I'd happily welcome Telus, Shaw, Google, Verizon or any and all other major corporations into Ontario, I think it's coming.

Rogers and Bell are in a battle.

A third or fourth network up here would be a declaration of war. Which should progress the technology and drive down the prices.
yyzlhr
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me
said by cepnot4me:

»www.fiercetelecom.com/st ··· 14-05-07

They will be expanding out to Quebec. That doesn't mean 100% they will be launching wire line services, but let's be honest.. why run the network if you won't use it.

Now that's out to quebec, which isn't a Rogers or Bell territory, but it is their backyard.

This aggressive action from Telus, is causing Bell to be wary and both are bolstering up their business.

»www.thecanadianencyclope ··· -merger/

This is not an expansion. Telus has served communities in Quebec for a long time. They're simply upgrading those communities to FTTH.

Again all the big telcos have nationwide fibre backbones. All of the telcos have business divisions that rely on having a nationwide fibre backbone.
wayner92
Toronto, ON

wayner92

The home wire line business is not that attractive these days. If they wanted to Telus could offer a VOIP service anywhere in Canada, but they don't cause there isn't much profit in it. You are going to have to compete on price so how much ARPU are you going to get? $30? Compare that to wireless or internet where lots of folks pay north of $100 per month.
Jelllo
join:2013-12-29

Jelllo to pkclown

to pkclown
b) More importantly, why is there such a strong appetite for the government to get involved in private business? Or am I wrong to consider the internet to be considered private business?

Because government has subsidized cable and telco to build their networks

bwiz2k3
@99.232.115.x

bwiz2k3 to dallas1

Anon

to dallas1
I am also in Oshawa and I average 180/17...on the 150/15 plan.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to wayner92

Premium Member

to wayner92
No I don't see TW buying Comcast, same issue too much concentration.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me
That article is pushing 2yrs.

I don't see the govt of the day , even the business Friendly cons, to allow that to happen.
dallas1
join:2014-04-16
Oshawa

dallas1 to bwiz2k3

to bwiz2k3
what part of oshawa im by willson and olive

bwiz2k3
@99.252.186.x

bwiz2k3

Anon

Harmony/Taunton
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Keeping mind, a multi billion dollar merger or acquisition isn't something that happens over night. It would take a few years, I'd say 3, at 5 it ain't happening.