MikeRich88
join:2003-05-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS SB6190

MikeRich88

Ordered trueSTREAM on Friday

Install date is October 9th.

I tried to order U-Verse TV + Internet first, but AT&T refused to let me order, due to an alleged balance at AT&T Wireless, which is currently being litigated due to the fraudulent nature of the alleged charges. (my active Business ADSL account is current and my former Residential U-Verse account from 2010 was paid in full upon disconnection... )

So I will continue to write DISH a check, and now DSL Extreme will deduct from my debit card. I'll post after the actual install with speed tests, etc.

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_gm

ISP Employee

said by MikeRich88:

Install date is October 9th.

So I will continue to write DISH a check, and now DSL Extreme will deduct from my debit card. I'll post after the actual install with speed tests, etc.

Hi MikeRich88 See Profile,

Welcome to DSL Extreme! We look forward to having you as a client and around the DSL Extreme BBR forum / community.

Thanks for your business!
MikeRich88
Houston, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS SB6190

1 edit

MikeRich88

Already off to a bad start.

My account was just suspended because I owe $0. WTF?

Let's pay the $0...

»www.dropbox.com/s/sknb24 ··· png?dl=0

Um?

Is my order cancelled? I had an install date of October 9th. That date needs to be maintained.

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_gm

ISP Employee

Hi Mike,

I was able to locate your account and take a look. It looks like the original order was placed with an expiration date of 9/2014 on the CC which caused the initial payment to not go through as September has now passed. When I pulled up the account I show that it was since updated to 2016. The initial payment went through now and the account has been updated and set back into the proper processing status. The installation date was not changed or effected. Glad it was an easy fix.

Thanks!
MikeRich88
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

MikeRich88

OK, fantastic! Thanks for clearing it up! I can sleep a bit easier tonight.

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
Chatsworth, CA

1 edit

dslx_gm to MikeRich88

ISP Employee

to MikeRich88
said by MikeRich88:

Already off to a bad start.

My account was just suspended because I owe $0. WTF?

Let's pay the $0...

»www.dropbox.com/s/sknb24 ··· reenshot 2014-10-01 23.15.10.png?dl=0

Um?

Is my order cancelled? I had an install date of October 9th. That date needs to be maintained.

Would be happy to take a look for you. Please feel free to send over a PM with your account info and order number. Once we do have a installation date we do process a payment for initial fees and month of service. If your payment didn't go through it would flag and suspend your account to have our billing team notify you to get payment. Without looking at your account I don't know for sure but a problem processing the initial payment would be one reason you may see that. Feel free to send over your account info and we would be happy to take a look and get back to you.

Thanks,
George

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa to MikeRich88

Mod

to MikeRich88
Mike, I removed your first link as it showed your full name and most of an email address for your privacy. Not a good idea to post that information on a public board.
MikeRich88
Houston, TX

MikeRich88

I am generally pretty transparent with that sort of information (but I marked out the account number).
MikeRich88

MikeRich88

Good followup so far. Got a call several days ago, and a call today confirming the appointment for tomorrow.

It's an install in an old apartment building, so if it's anything like my U-verse install in a different old apartment building in 2007, most of the time will be spent trying to find a good pair between the phone jack in the apartment and the cabinet downstairs where all the apartments' phone jacks terminate. My old apartment was less than 1000 ft from the VRAD, and this one is less than 1500 ft, so I don't think there will be any problem getting a pair from the apartment cabinet to the VRAD.
MikeRich88

MikeRich88

Decided to check the DSL Extreme website.

It still says that my account is "Suspended" for a balance due of "$0.00", despite having a "credit of $52.33". I hope this is not a problem tomorrow when AT&T is trying to hook up the order.
MikeRich88

MikeRich88

Installer is here now, the website is fixed as well, showing Active account. He was a bit confused about how DSL Extreme works vs U-verse, but left to go work at the VRAD.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Should be no more hiccups then. Definitely let me know if you need anything, though!
MikeRich88
Houston, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS SB6190

1 edit

MikeRich88

Install is done, not even an hour. No trouble at all. Full speed right away.

Started moving my home network over to the trueSTREAM. First I moved my DISH Network receiver and tried streaming some On Demand HD. The show plays instantly, no buffering. I'll try the Slingbox feature next, I'm sure it will run a lot better than Clearwire.
Yeloazndevil
join:2007-07-26
Riverside, CA

Yeloazndevil

congrats, still waiting for the Installer to show up at my place to get it installed
MikeRich88
Houston, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS SB6190

MikeRich88

The IP address is still an AT&T owned IP (x-x-x-x.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net). I thought that was kind of interesting. A long time ago I had an Earthlink cable modem through Time Warner, and received a Mindspring IP address (Mindspring being the subsidiary of Earthlink that handled the cable connections).
MikeRich88

4 edits

MikeRich88

Finally was able to do a wired speed test, after moving the other half of my network off Clearwire. They installed the gateway in my kitchen which is next to the living room with my DISH receiver, Wii, and Blu-ray player, so I moved that switch to the new service right away. The rear of the apartment has my bedroom and home office, with the wired Mac and PC respectively, connected to an AirPort Extreme, now reconfigured to bridge mode.

I setup the AirPort to provide 5 GHz WiFi service, since the provided Pace gateway only provides 2.4 GHz. Decided to leave the Pace WiFi turned on to service the Wii, and the AirPort to service a laptop as well as providing printer and disk sharing. All together it seems to be running well.

I ordered the 18/1.5 service, so 22+ for the download is fantastic, and 1.48 is on par with expectations. Note: I am definitely in Houston, I do not know why speedtest.net thinks the server is 600 miles away.

I will post a full official DSL Reports review tomorrow.

Edit: Got a better upstream on a subsequent test. Proves that both the downstream and upstream are over provisioned to some extent.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------------------
Here is a Clearwire speed test I did just now for comparison. It looks impressive, for a WiMax connection, but there are a lot of caveats, that make the wired VDSL connection so much better.

Caveat: The downstream looks pretty good - but in real world use, DISH On Demand would get at most 3 Mbps. Any show you wanted to watch, would have to buffer. Same goes for Netflix - except it was possible to route Netflix through a VPN, to a 3rd party server, which Clearwire didn't arbitrarily "throttle". I am just talking about average or even BELOW average usage here. 5 hours or less per week of "on demand" viewing of either type - DISH or Netflix. Not an abuse of "Clearwire/Wireless" by any stretch.

Caveat: I'm sure a lot of people have already ditched Clearwire, thus improving speeds for remaining users. It is also 12:30 AM here when I am running the test.

Caveat: The upstream would seem to indicate 1 Mbps. Real world usage is lucky to achieve half that amount. It is possible to use a Sling box on Clearwire - at the lowest settings, with the worst picture quality, barely tolerable for viewing on a mobile device.

Remarks: It is too bad about Clearwire. They had the potential to be, and in fact they were/ARE the 3rd truly nationwide ISP. The line up could have been: Cable, Telco, Clearwire. Unfortunately it was not to be.