Search similar:

uniqs

rtfm
join:2005-07-09
Washington, DC

1 edit

rtfm

[CA] is Mediacom worth it?

A client friend is moving to outside Valley Center CA, 92082. {That's NW of Sandy Eggo}.

I'm debating MediaCom for his IP access. Thus far they seem uncertain that they actually serve the property, despite the fact that:

• Their trunkage goes down the road.
• There's a splitter over the driveway
• At the other end of the frontage, I can see the HFC hanging there.

so that's one factor. I have a ticket open with them on that issue, #12411883, but no response so far.

Assuming they will serve the location.....

Reading this forum's traffic does not exactly encourage me, but then, people tolerate the double-C company as well. And his alternatives are not stellar: the Huge Aircrash satellite folks{l....a.....t.....e....n...c...y}, and a local WISP off a mountain nearby {$$}.

So some specific questions:

We were verbally quoted the usual bait&switch err sliding fees whereby the cheapest rate was $25, others more up to $65; and every year there was a $10 increase. But the fine print on the contract says:

This offer requires subscription to Mediacom's PRIME Internet Service for 24 months. Discounted price is for 12 months beginning at installation. After 12 months, Mediacom may elect at any time to charge you its standard rates, then in effect, that may change from time to time. If you cancel service during the first 24 months, a termination fee may apply.

which strikes me as questionable legally, as they are changing the monitory terms after the commitment, but I'll leave that to the lawyers.

What's been the experience here; is the $10 increase shown in your contract, or have you been charged more?

There was also:

By posting messages, files, data or other information including communications through this service, you grant to Mediacom and its affiliates, a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted worldwide license to: (1) use, copy sublicense, adapt, transmit, retransmit, distribute and/or publicly perform or display any such material and (2) sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of the foregoing rights granted with respect to such material.

but it seems to apply to their website, not the service in general.

Does MC not charge you rental even if you Bring Your Own DOCSIS 3 modem? {I know another cableco that charges you n$ for modem rental, or the same n$ for not renting one....}

What other Magically Appearing & Unexpected Charges will appear on their bills?

Do they charge a flat installation fee, or by the foot, etc? I ask as it's a long driveway.

How many outages, of what length, have you had?

When you call in, do you reach an AmCit, or "Sam" "John" or "Harry" with a south Asian or Tagalog accent?

And I guess:

If you had an alternative, would you sign up again?

Thanks.

Stage3GT
join:2014-05-19
Chillicothe, IL

Stage3GT

said by rtfm:

A client friend is moving to outside Valley Center CA, 92082. {That's NW of Sandy Eggo}.

I'm debating MediaCom for his IP access. Thus far they seem uncertain that they actually serve the property, despite the fact that:

• Their trunkage goes down the road.
• There's a splitter over the driveway
• At the other end of the frontage, I can see the HFC hanging there.

so that's one factor. I have a ticket open with them on that issue, #12411883, but no response so far.

Assuming they will serve the location.....

Reading this forum's traffic does not exactly encourage me, but then, people tolerate the double-C company as well. And his alternatives are not stellar: the Huge Aircrash satellite folks{l....a.....t.....e....n...c...y}, and a local WISP off a mountain nearby {$$}.

So some specific questions:

We were verbally quoted the usual bait&switch err sliding fees whereby the cheapest rate was $25, others more up to $65; and every year there was a $10 increase. But the fine print on the contract says:

This offer requires subscription to Mediacom's PRIME Internet Service for 24 months. Discounted price is for 12 months beginning at installation. After 12 months, Mediacom may elect at any time to charge you its standard rates, then in effect, that may change from time to time. If you cancel service during the first 24 months, a termination fee may apply.

which strikes me as questionable legally, as they are changing the monitory terms after the commitment, but I'll leave that to the lawyers.

What's been the experience here; is the $10 increase shown in your contract, or have you been charged more?

There was also:

By posting messages, files, data or other information including communications through this service, you grant to Mediacom and its affiliates, a royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive, unrestricted worldwide license to: (1) use, copy sublicense, adapt, transmit, retransmit, distribute and/or publicly perform or display any such material and (2) sublicense to third parties the unrestricted right to exercise any of the foregoing rights granted with respect to such material.

but it seems to apply to their website, not the service in general.

Does MC not charge you rental even if you Bring Your Own DOCSIS 3 modem? {I know another cableco that charges you n$ for modem rental, or the same n$ for not renting one....}

What other Magically Appearing & Unexpected Charges will appear on their bills?

Do they charge a flat installation fee, or by the foot, etc? I ask as it's a long driveway.

How many outages, of what length, have you had?

When you call in, do you reach an AmCit, or "Sam" "John" or "Harry" with a south Asian or Tagalog accent?

And I guess:

If you had an alternative, would you sign up again?

Thanks.

You asked several questions here: I will try to answer best as I can. I have been Mediacom client when it took over Chillicothe Triax cable. My guess july 99 but memory is faulty LOL.

Bring your/buy your own modem n/c.
My current bill stays unchanged in many years, aside from slight tax increases.
How long is driveway? I don't think they charge as long as 2 yr contract is signed. could be wrong there but Mediacom does want customer base. Wire up to 200' probly free.
Outages. A few since upgrading to bonded channels and local storms put trees in the wires. other than that in 61523 area rock solid as one would expect.
Real Live English speaking agents, once you get past some button pushing lol.
I suppose since I am on basic cable and ultra 100/10 now for current pricing I would stay. If CC were to buy Mediacom and use its pricing structure I would go slow dsl and a dish.

Hopefully this answered some of your questions. for install fee's on super long drive you're friend needs to call local office or stop in OR Mediacom Chad here can answer if asked.

rtfm
Washington, DC

rtfm

said by Stage3GT:

Hopefully this answered some of your questions

Yes, it did. If they get back to us, I'll suggest we give them a try.
Thanks.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to rtfm

Premium Member

to rtfm
I am more than happy to answer any questions you have about our service. If you have any other questions or concerns, please let me know!

"Does MC not charge you rental even if you Bring Your Own DOCSIS 3 modem? {I know another cableco that charges you n$ for modem rental, or the same n$ for not renting one....}"

We do not charge you a rental charge if you use your own modem.

"What other Magically Appearing & Unexpected Charges will appear on their bills?"

We generally do not change the charges on your statement unless notified a month prior on your statement for taxes, fees, surcharges, Etc. If there is a change to your package due to a service change, promotional rate change, Etc we will let you know at the time of signing up or making the change of service.

"Do they charge a flat installation fee, or by the foot, etc? I ask as it's a long driveway."

We have a flat installation fee.

"How many outages, of what length, have you had?"

When you have a moment, please send me an IM with the address and I will be happy to check the outage history to give you a better idea of work that is being conducted in the area or outages.

"When you call in, do you reach an AmCit, or "Sam" "John" or "Harry" with a south Asian or Tagalog accent?"

We have two major american call centers, but we do utilize overflow call centers over seas. A majority of the calls are taken by our state side call centers.

TamTam
@173.26.163.x

TamTam to rtfm

Anon

to rtfm
No. Mediacon is NOT worth it.

rtfm
Washington, DC

rtfm

said by TamTam :

No. Mediacon is NOT worth it.

Could you elaborate? Have you had a bad experience?

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

1 edit

MediacomChad to TamTam

Premium Member

to TamTam
TamTam I will be more than happy to assist you with any issues you are having. Feel free to sign up for a free account here and shoot me an IM and I look into any service issues you may be having. If you would prefer you can also contact me by email at socialmediateam@mediacomcc.com.
iowaboy
Premium Member
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA

iowaboy

Premium Member

I had signed up for Mediacom about 13 years ago when they only had 1.5 Mbps. About a year later it was bumped to 3 Mbps down and was always there and never out. After they did some reconstruction and ran fiber between towns and cities to one headend ?? we started having all kinds of issues with being knocked out and did not have internet or TV. They finally was able to get the TV fixed but still had a issue with internet and it not working correctly. The problem =was only about 3 hundred yards away where a line tech had to come and put a wrench on a nut and the speeds and reliability was back. I did get fed up and canceled and went to the local phone company DSL as I really needed the internet since I am disabled and my only way out was the internet. Anyway fast forward 12 years and wife and I moved. We did sign up for DSL, which was a mistakes the speeds were never what we were paying for and the field techs could or would not fix the issues. I called Mediacom and signed up again for the internet, WOW, what a difference it has been. Speeds are always there and even with power going out we have never lost internet. I am a believer in using UPS and also have a generator so I can plug the house in if we ever lose power for a extended time. My feelings are that Mediacom has come a long way in getting their issues fixed. I would not hesitate in signing up again if I ever move again and they service the area I would be in. Sorry for the long post.
Magnum3667
join:2013-09-02
Navarre, FL

Magnum3667 to rtfm

to rtfm
it depends on where you live...seems like there are a few stories of mediacom being good and alot of stories of them being not so good....suggestion is if you know anyone with mediacom in your area, ask them how their service is because honestly it could be good for people in a different state than you are in and suck horribly where you live
Gho5t
join:2010-11-11

Gho5t to rtfm

to rtfm
Well, they have overcharged me for a modem rental and nothing came from that. I never rented a modem and noticed a charge a couple months ago and turns out it was way more then 1 month of overcharging. The service is reliable though. If it wasnt for mediacomchad i would have switched to frontiers dsl, and there service is absolute garbage.

rtfm
Washington, DC

rtfm

Mediacomchad has been a big help so far. The property is passed by their outside plant, but the address is shown as NFG. He's ...motivating... the local folks to come examine and then explain what's up, Doc.

I gather previous efforts there to get service have not succeeded; my client was chatting with his neighbor, he too is interested. And his neighbors may be as well. And here I was counting on the node being underutilized.....

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy to Magnum3667

to Magnum3667
said by Magnum3667:

it depends on where you live...seems like there are a few stories of mediacom being good and alot of stories of them being not so good...

That's typical....people bitch and make noise when they're dissatisfied, but rarely say anything if they're happy with their service.
Magnum3667
Navarre, FL

Magnum3667

which they have a right to...if mediacom is the only company that you can get internet, you better bet your butt im gonna make noise when things so south

Bierboy
join:2008-08-07
East Moline, IL

Bierboy

said by Magnum3667:

which they have a right to...if mediacom is the only company that you can get internet, you better bet your butt im gonna make noise when things so south

I never said that bitchers don't have a right to bitch. What I'm stating is fact -- bitchers bitch more often than those who are happy with their service.
Magnum3667
Navarre, FL

Magnum3667

and i agree but it says something when mediacom is at the bottom of every report

rtfm
Washington, DC

rtfm

My dilemma is solved. Mediacom is not interested in serving the property in question, period; despite the fact they go right by it.

Chad did his part [thanks!], and put me in touch with the correct folks; but since it would be one step more than just hooking up the drop, the beancounters at his HQ do not care. And even if Daddy Warbucks lived there and would pay up front; it would still take them 6+ months to act.

That basically means a static at best customer base, with any new customers being replacements who have moved into existing locations. And that means you folks will be more and more marginalized.

I'm off to look at U-verse; The Old Bitch claims to serve the house but we'll see.