Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena

Re: new 6 tuner dvr from time warner?

said by maartena:

It's just one company outdoing the other. Welcome to the "tuner wars".

I think it started with U-Verse, since their system only allows 1 DVR due to the limited amount of consecutive streams the U-Verse system can handle. Their DVR has 4 tuners, and they proudly boasted back in 2008 that satellite and cable only had 2. (Even though, of course, you can put dozens of DVR's on both systems where U-Verse still only allowed 1 DVR, but it was smart marketing).

Then DirecTV and Dish came up with their whole home DVR systems, with the current generation of Dish Hoppers having 8 tuners, DirecTV's Genie has 5 tuners.

FIOS couldn't stay behind, and trumped everyone with a whopping 12 tuner DVR, to which Comcast responded with a 15 tuner DVR. (The non-mentioned caveat is of course that the FIOS system is 2 chain-linked 6-tuner DVR's controlled by 1 remote, and the Comcast system is THREE chain-linked 5-tuner DVR's controlled by 1 remote, leasing fees for respectively 2 and 3 boxes still apply).

TWC is staying a bit more down to earth with "ONLY" 6 tuners, which is plenty

BTW, I thought Irvine was Cox Cable?

2 tuners is plenty

I think anything more is just a E-Peepee problem
rdsport323
join:2001-05-28
Irvine, CA

rdsport323

i was getting whole house dvr installed today, and the installer (a 3rd party, not time warner guy), only had the enhanced dvr with him. So, he gave me the dcx-3600m. Only problem is, we can't get the whole house dvr to work with any of the other boxes. He's still here waiting for someone to bring him another box.

such a headache and hassle. I don't understand why they need to send someone out to install WH-DVR. The guy didn't do anything except change out the boxes, and gave me a filter to install on my cable modem. Nothing else, nothing to my splitters, or to the tap. ugh
rdsport323

rdsport323

ugh. this 6 tuner dvr is a piece of junk. it breaks HDMI-CEC on my TV so I cant control my RaspBMC with my tv remote anymore.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
Is your other box running the new guide, If it's not you have to switch that out.
OpTiC

OpTiC to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
I wished that TWC had use the same DVR as Cox uses for their Contour.
rdsport323
Irvine, CA

rdsport323 to OpTiC

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

Is your other box running the new guide, If it's not you have to switch that out.

The other non DVR box they gave me was a Samsung one. I don't have the model number with me since I am no longer at my parents house. It uses the same guide as all the other TWC boxes I have had so far.

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal

DocDrew

Premium Member

I don't think the non-DVR Samsung boxes have MOCA networking built-in, so it can't interact with the Whole Home DVR.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to rdsport323

Premium Member

to rdsport323
That's the problem. Go to the cable store and switch it out to the Motorola/Arris DCX 3200p3. The companion box needs to match the master box brand

noob
@184.58.65.x

noob

Anon

not true i have a whole house cisco dvr and a whole house Samsung set top hd box they work fine together

mckenna797
Premium Member
join:2004-08-25
Astoria, NY

mckenna797

Premium Member

I have the same setup and they also work fine together, from what I have heard Moca is not available on the six tuner dvr

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

So I can't use whole house Dvr I already have that service. Flipping into the manuals and the website it said moca is available.
ifa
join:2009-07-17
New York, NY

ifa to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
I followed your advise and it worked! Thank you
said by hobgoblin:

Check for Power Save Options in Settings.

Hob

toyer
join:2013-11-26
USA

toyer to rdsport323

to rdsport323
I called TW to ask about their newest DVR and the next day they came out and installed the Arris DCX-3600M. This is a 6 tuner device with 1TB of storage. They called it a Whole Home DVR, but I cannot confirm nor deny that this is what it is. I do not use it to control any other TVs. So far it is an excellent unit, with only 1 major problem. On recorded shows, when I pause, fast forward or rewind I cannot see a progress bar nor can I tell how far into a recording I am or how fast I'm fwd'ing. With the old box, I could press info or simply pause to see this information. Now, the Info button simply shows what live channel the tuner is currently on, and hitting pause just pauses the playback and brings up NO info graphic or playback position info...not even the name or channel of the recording being played back. Very strange. I hope once some of you get this device, you'll show me that it's operator error. It did not come with a manual, nor can I find more than whitepapers on the device online. So to answer your question, this is the 6 tuner brand/model being distributed here in NYC.
nephipower
join:2012-02-20
San Antonio, TX

nephipower

said by toyer:

I called TW to ask about their newest DVR and the next day they came out and installed the Arris DCX-3600M. This is a 6 tuner device with 1TB of storage. They called it a Whole Home DVR, but I cannot confirm nor deny that this is what it is. I do not use it to control any other TVs. So far it is an excellent unit, with only 1 major problem. On recorded shows, when I pause, fast forward or rewind I cannot see a progress bar nor can I tell how far into a recording I am or how fast I'm fwd'ing. With the old box, I could press info or simply pause to see this information. Now, the Info button simply shows what live channel the tuner is currently on, and hitting pause just pauses the playback and brings up NO info graphic or playback position info...not even the name or channel of the recording being played back. Very strange. I hope once some of you get this device, you'll show me that it's operator error. It did not come with a manual, nor can I find more than whitepapers on the device online. So to answer your question, this is the 6 tuner brand/model being distributed here in NYC.

I have had this problem before on my regular 2 tuner DVR. Just restart the box and that fixes the issue.

Also, what city are you in?
toyer
join:2013-11-26
USA

toyer

Ahh, I had yet to restart this box. Thanks, I've tried it, and it worked. You rock! -- I'm in Manhattan, NYC.
bobt16
join:2014-08-11

1 recommendation

bobt16 to rdsport323

to rdsport323
do you request these or do they automatically upgrade your old DVR? what's the process like?
fishstix
join:2014-08-24

fishstix to rdsport323

to rdsport323
So since some of you are able to get this, I would just assume it not ready in my area yet? Anyone else from Raleigh, NC area been able to get this new 6 tuner box?

Thanks

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas

I think this DVR is only available to areas that have the "Maxx" upgrade.

Joepilot
@65.190.8.x

Joepilot to fishstix

Anon

to fishstix
The new box is only available through a beta test program in Raleigh as far as I know.
rdsport323
Irvine, CA

rdsport323 to bobt16

to bobt16
said by bobt16:

do you request these or do they automatically upgrade your old DVR? what's the process like?

I never really wanted the 6 tuner DVR. I was getting WH-DVR installed and the installer only had the 6 tuner DVR with him, so they called TWC and asked them to add this DVR to my account which costs $3 more a month. This was a third party installer, and not someone from TWC that had this box.

I'm going to return this box on Monday and get the regular WH-DVR instead. The fact that it breaks HDMI-CEC kills it for me.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

It might just be the box is defective. So that's why you're not receiving Whole House DVR recordings.
fishstix
join:2014-08-24

fishstix to Joepilot

to Joepilot
Thanks, that what I was told as well, but after sales person upgraded all my service for it and made all the changes to my account. Waited for installer to show up which was late and wanted to confirm what he was installing, and it was not the 6 tuner. I sure hope it released soon. Between wife and kids, I cannot record anything I want to watch. ha

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

The installer has come and now. I'm having problem with whole house DVR. This box has Moca.
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

New excuse TWC is blaming it on my plan because my playback box isn't working.
rdsport323
Irvine, CA

rdsport323 to OpTiC

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

The installer has come and now. I'm having problem with whole house DVR. This box has Moca.

Yeah my whole house DVR never worked, the installer kept trying, and kept blaming it on incompatible boxes, or whatever. But since I had a third party installer, they told me NOT to call TWC and complain that things didn't work, and to specifically call them back again so they can come out and try again. They clearly didn't know what they were doing. I'm fed up with the whole thing.

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Dispatch is saying it's my plan.
rdsport323
Irvine, CA

rdsport323

who are your installers? are they third party? or actual TWC? and what boxes did they give you? and did they install anything at your house?

OpTiC
Premium Member
West Covina, CA

OpTiC

Premium Member

Third party. It was too busy today to send out TWC. They only swap out my DVR.
OpTiC

OpTiC

Premium Member

After 3 hours on the phone I can't get this to be resolved.
rdsport323
Irvine, CA

rdsport323

maybe the 6 tuner dvr from twc aren't wh-compatible or aren't enabled yet?

anyone here have the 6 tuner with WH working?