Search similar:

uniqs
BikeRider64
join:2006-05-02
Fresh Meadows, NY

1 edit

BikeRider64

Upgrade? Is this MAXX?

A few days ago I ran Speedtest, which I randomly do from time to time, and saw that my speeds, which used to be 15/1 (which is what I'm supposed to get), were now 50/5. I thought it was a fluke due to TW testing their lines or something. But I've been re-running it since then and have continued to get 50/5 or thereabouts. I didn't do anything, or ask for this. It just happened. I didn't even reboot my modem or router (although I have rebooted my PC multiple times for unrelated reasons).

My modem's a bit older, a Motorola 6120 that I bought 3-1/2 years ago and haven't fiddled at all with, e.g. manually upgrading or installing anything other than the default firmware, or tinkering with it and any related settings. TW actually originally refused to allow me to use this modem, claiming that it wasn't on their approved list. It was only after some arguing, persuading and threatening that I got them to accept it, and it's worked fine ever since. Now, obviously, it's working even finer!

I assume that this is due to TW's "MAXX" program, which I'd never heard about until I checked out the TW forum here a few minutes ago, which I haven't done in over a year or so. Is that a safe assumption? Did TW make a general announcement about MAXX and send out emails or notices in the mail about this? I don't recall seeing or getting any. I don't use my TW mail account though. Is that what they used to send it?

I'm in northeast Queens, NYC, btw, zip code 11366.

While I welcome this speed increase, does this mean that I should expect my rates to go up soon, and if so by how much? When I ran TW's speed check on its web site after logging in, it announced in big letters on a bright red background that "my application will expire in 15 days". Does that mean that this 50/5 bump is a trial to give me a taste of it that will go back to 15/1 unless I'm willing to pay more for it? Or will I get to keep the 50/5 but will be forced to pay more for it?

Btw can or should I upgrade or otherwise tinker with my modem's firmware to make it work even faster, and/or do I have to make changes to my router (Linksys E4200 v.1) or Windows 7's network settings to adjust to these new, faster speeds?

Ironically, the cable signal hasn't been so good lately, especially using my Cablecard-equipped Ceton InfiniTV. I've been watching the Universal Sports Network a lot lately (407 here), and the signal's been pretty poor, often unwatchable. Any connection, or unrelated?

ANONTWC
@149.142.38.x

ANONTWC

Anon

Re: Official MAXX - I've Got it - Thread

said by BikeRider64:

A few days ago I ran Speedtest, which I randomly do from time to time, and saw that my speeds, which used to be 15/1 (which is what I'm supposed to get), were now 50/5. I thought it was a fluke due to TW testing their lines or something. But I've been re-running it since then and have continued to get 50/5 or thereabouts. I didn't do anything, or ask for this. It just happened. I didn't even reboot my modem or router (although I have rebooted my PC multiple times for unrelated reasons).

My modem's a bit older, a Motorola 6120 that I bought 3-1/2 years ago and haven't fiddled at all with, e.g. manually upgrading or installing anything other than the default firmware, or tinkering with it and any related settings. TW actually originally refused to allow me to use this modem, claiming that it wasn't on their approved list. It was only after some arguing, persuading and threatening that I got them to accept it, and it's worked fine ever since. Now, obviously, it's working even finer!

I assume that this is due to TW's "MAXX" program, which I'd never heard about until I checked out the TW forum here a few minutes ago, which I haven't done in over a year or so. Is that a safe assumption? Did TW make a general announcement about MAXX and send out emails or notices in the mail about this? I don't recall seeing or getting any. I don't use my TW mail account though. Is that what they used to send it?

I'm in northeast Queens, NYC, btw, zip code 11366.

While I welcome this speed increase, does this mean that I should expect my rates to go up soon, and if so by how much? When I ran TW's speed check on its web site after logging in, it announced in big letters on a bright red background that "my application will expire in 15 days". Does that mean that this 50/5 bump is a trial to give me a taste of it that will go back to 15/1 unless I'm willing to pay more for it? Or will I get to keep the 50/5 but will be forced to pay more for it?

Btw can or should I upgrade or otherwise tinker with my modem's firmware to make it work even faster, and/or do I have to make changes to my router (Linksys E4200 v.1) or Windows 7's network settings to adjust to these new, faster speeds?

Ironically, the cable signal hasn't been so good lately, especially using my Cablecard-equipped Ceton InfiniTV. I've been watching the Universal Sports Network a lot lately (407 here), and the signal's been pretty poor, often unwatchable. Any connection, or unrelated?

The MAXX upgrade has usually coincided in conjunction with TWC going all digital in your area. I'm not sure if they've sent out a mailer outside of the one where channel lineups are changing. The speed upgrade is permanent. Speeds are increasing for every tier. Pricing is the same (for the time being at least). Although I'm sure we'll get our annual price hike.

»www.twcableuntangled.com ··· erience/
BikeRider64
Fresh Meadows, NY

BikeRider64

said by ANONTWC :

The MAXX upgrade has usually coincided in conjunction with TWC going all digital in your area. I'm not sure if they've sent out a mailer outside of the one where channel lineups are changing. The speed upgrade is permanent. Speeds are increasing for every tier. Pricing is the same (for the time being at least). Although I'm sure we'll get our annual price hike.

This is literally the first I'm hearing about MAXX, either via a TW communication, online discussions such as here, or the actual upgrade. They sent out a bunch of notices a while back about how they're upgrading TV services and changing channels around, which they did, but it was fairly seamless and didn't really improve anything as far as I could tell, and it was TV-only, not internet.

Clearly MAXX has been official since January, and cable "geeks" (I say that not disparagingly mind you, just that I'm not one) have known about it since at least then. But as basically an end user who very occasionally ventures into the techie side of the pool, this is the first I've heard about this. I'm not displeased, mind you, just surprised, both pleasantly and at TW's poor job of telling its customers about it.

Obviously, though, there will be rate hikes, especially after the merger is finalized. There always are.

Btw, there's not much about this on TW's customer web site. Just a brief blurb about how speeds are going up, but with no mention of how it's going up for nearly everyone, not just the fastest plans. Perhaps they didn't want to repeat Sprint's fiasco with its botched rollout of its vaunted "Vision" program, where everyone was supposed to get usable 3G and blazing fast 4G. Not.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by BikeRider64:

Btw, there's not much about this on TW's customer web site. Just a brief blurb about how speeds are going up, but with no mention of how it's going up for nearly everyone, not just the fastest plans.

TW Cable's web site is a national site. The speeds are going up in NYC, LA and Austin. That is not nearly everyone. Many people in the upgrade areas have reported receiving mailers.

Hob
chippe01
join:2013-08-11
Brooklyn, NY

chippe01

I got the letter about speed upgrades last week, and 2 phone calls over the weekend urging me to arrange a tech visit to do a modem swap. Earliest available appointment was Friday, October 10th. Brooklyn, NY ZIP 11238.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by chippe01:

I got the letter about speed upgrades last week, and 2 phone calls over the weekend urging me to arrange a tech visit to do a modem swap. Earliest available appointment was Friday, October 10th. Brooklyn, NY ZIP 11238.

Exactly the way it should work.

Hob
BikeRider64
Fresh Meadows, NY

BikeRider64 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

TW Cable's web site is a national site. The speeds are going up in NYC, LA and Austin. That is not nearly everyone. Many people in the upgrade areas have reported receiving mailers.

I meant nearly everyone where it's being upgraded, not nationwide. And they could easily tailor a customer's web site experience to developments specific to their area once they logged in, or put up an easy to see blurb about this upgrade and where it's being added.

I, myself, in an upgrade area, recall getting nothing from TW in the way of heads-up notices.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by BikeRider64:

I, myself, in an upgrade area, recall getting nothing from TW in the way of heads-up notices.

Understood. Clearly many others did. Look at the threads in this forum.

Hob

cousintim
join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX

cousintim to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

TW Cable's web site is a national site.

The site is easily localized by entering one's zip code at the top right.
BikeRider64
Fresh Meadows, NY

BikeRider64

said by cousintim:

The site is easily localized by entering one's zip code at the top right.

Thank you.
BikeRider64

BikeRider64 to hobgoblin

to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

Understood. Clearly many others did. Look at the threads in this forum.

So basically you're confirming that TW botched the customer relations aspect of this rollout by only notifying some customers but not others. Apology accepted.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"So basically you're confirming that TW botched the customer relations aspect of this rollout by only notifying some customers but not others. Apology accepted"

I dont think I said that at all

Hob
BikeRider64
Fresh Meadows, NY

BikeRider64

said by hobgoblin:

You're welcome!

--S. Colbert

Tonice2007
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

Tonice2007

Premium Member

said by BikeRider64:

said by hobgoblin:

You're welcome!

--S. Colbert

If you did not know about the upgrades you must live under a rock. It was posted online, TV ads, mailings, etc.

Elsewise, you must be disconnected from the world, period.
BikeRider64
Fresh Meadows, NY

BikeRider64

said by Tonice2007:

If you did not know about the upgrades you must live under a rock. It was posted online, TV ads, mailings, etc.

Wow, such hostility. Who's the one disconnected from human reality?

In any case, no, none of this is true. It has not been posted all over. It may come as a surprise to you but "the world" is not what you experience of it through your digital devices. You probably spend all day here and view it as "the world", but trust me, it's not.

Tonice2007
Premium Member
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

Tonice2007

Premium Member

said by BikeRider64:

said by Tonice2007:

Wow, such hostility. Who's the one disconnected from human reality?

In any case, no, none of this is true. It has not been posted all over. It may come as a surprise to you but "the world" is not what you experience of it through your digital devices. You probably spend all day here and view it as "the world", but trust me, it's not.

First off, yes I'm hostile as if you or anybody did a search about Upgrades and TWC, you would find multiple threads about the upgrades in regards to the MAXX Upgrades.

Secondly, there are two worlds the exists the reality where things are tangible and the digital world where things are intangible at this time.

And I have seen multiple TV ads about the upgrades, on NY1 and Bloomberg, as these are the only channels that I watch consistently. Most likely TWC also purchased other ads spaces on other channels to promote the upgrades. Also, there were mailings sent out to TWC customers.