Search similar:

uniqs
backness
join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2

backness

Burned on bunky modem

Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody else got burned by Teksavvy buying an old 4 channel docsis 3.0 modem.

If I recall correctly, I purchased the modem from Teksavvy and at the time the agent told me that this was the new standard and that it would prevent me from having to buy a new modem.

Low and behold, I call in to process my move request and am asked where I got this junky modem.

I spent 109 on this piece of crap modem (if I remember correctly) only to have to spend another 80 bucks on a second modem.

Did this happen to anybody else? Can I get some credit for the difference on the two products?

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

This has been debated 100x over...

It's not TekSavvy's policy, but Rogers dictates the modems that are certified. The 4 channel modems have been grandfathered but cannot be moved to a new address or activated for new service.

This sucks but nothing you can do.

Be warned, the current 8 channel modems are also gonna be outdated soon, as Rogers has already 24 channel modems, but independent ISP's liek Teksavvy dont have them approved yet, because Rogers is dragging their feet.
backness
join:2005-07-08
K2P OW2

backness

I just bought a Thomson DCM476 to replace it. Are you saying that this one is going to be bricked soon also?

If that's the case that would be 2 recommendations in a row for a modem from teksavvy that are junk.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Not bricked, but it will likely be limited to 60mbps speeds and you will need a 24 channel modem for faster speeds...

But if you get 150 on it now, then decide to move later after they've been artificially limited by rogers to lower speed tiers, you wont be able to get 150.

Its a mess but Rogers is to blame. People have been patiently waiting for the 24 channel modem to be approved but there has been no news and the ISP's aren't saying anything likely due to some kind of NDA imposed by Rogers.

Mind you, Rogers places these kind of restrictions on their own customers as well, in fact they are more strict.
BrianON
join:2011-09-30
Ottawa, ON

BrianON to backness

to backness
If you move or change speeds you may be required to do a modem upgrade to one currently on the approved modem list.

If you stay put and/or don't change speeds you can usually keep a modem for a long time and even stay on a grandfathered packaged not available to new customers. For example I use a Motorola SB5100 DOCSIS2 modem with Teksavvy's 6Mbps/256Kbps offering (no longer available to new customers). Bought the modem when I was a Rogers customer and kept using it after switching to Teksavvy three years ago.

However even having to buy a new modem on occasion it works out to cheaper and/or less frustrating than dealing with monthly rental fees and dodgy modem plus wireless router combos.

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to backness

Premium Member

to backness
said by backness:

If that's the case that would be 2 recommendations in a row for a modem from teksavvy that are junk.

What are they supposed to do when the modems Rogers might require in 6-12 months are not even approved by Rogers yet?

It sucks but I just expect to buy a modem almost every time I move these days. Yeah it was nice to use my same trusty speed touch 516 DSL modem for several years...but since then speeds have been climbing from 5mbps to 50+mbps so I'll take the good with the bad.

zvxf12312
@135.23.223.x

zvxf12312

Anon

Do you know when we can get 24 channel modem? my motorola is getting old and the 4 channels it is on get congested and the upload is slowwwww D:
DeGhost
join:2010-11-18
Markham, ON

DeGhost to backness

to backness

on 45/2
Datalink
Premium Member
join:2014-08-11
Ottawa ON

Datalink to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
For everyone here looking forward to a 24 channel modem, here is a question worth pondering. Are you ready for higher speeds? Say whaaat? Trust me, that's not as crazy a question as it seems. On another forum (which shall go un-named), that problem comes up again and again. Typically people expect higher speeds when they move up in service plans, only to find that hmmm, my router, or pc, or laptop only has a 10/100 Mb/s interface, or, the house ethernet connectors are only punched down to support 100 Mb/s maximum, or my wifi is limited due to the spec that it implements in the 2.4 Ghz band. What about the 5 Ghz band? So, there are numerous reasons for slow wired and wireless speeds which are not discovered until after the fact. What is it they say, be careful for what you wish for, as you might discover that moving up to higher speeds also means replacing or upgrading devices that you hadn't planned to spend any money on. Best to do some homework first, so that you know what will happen, instead of being surprised by the results. Fwiw.....

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to DeGhost

to DeGhost
Are you sure there was absolutely no other traffic in your network when you did the speed test ?
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to Datalink

to Datalink
said by Datalink:

For everyone here looking forward to a 24 channel modem, here is a question worth pondering. Are you ready for higher speeds?

That is irrelevant when the issue is Rogers no longer accepting anything less for new or moving subscribers. If Rogers says they are no longer accepting anything less than x24, you have to get a new modem even if all you want is the same 10/1 you already had with your x4 modem before moving.