Search similar:

uniqs

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

1 recommendation

Hard Harry7

http://forums.cox.com/ frequently down

Since the nice representatives have been unable to answer mine and others questions on the stability of the website on the official forum, I thought I would try here. Also I can't post there since the site is down again right now.

The problem is 10-20 times a week, for anywhere from 5min to several hours, the site will appear to go down. I can ping it, tracert, and even check with isitdown.com and they all say everything is ok. But on multiple computers and browsers, I will be in the middle of browsing the forum and it will lock with a hour glass. Sometimes if I hit escape the site will come up immediately, as it got stuck loading. Sometimes I have to hit escape and F5 a couple times. Sometimes non of that works. I believe when they made the site they copied the javascript for the page header and footer from ww2.cox.com and the engine the support site uses it can't manage it. Probably messy code? Anyone have any thoughts?

Tracing route to forums.cox.com [50.57.196.159]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 10.2.48.1
3 13 ms 9 ms 9 ms ip98-190-160-114.ri.ri.cox.net [98.190.160.114]
4 9 ms 9 ms 12 ms ip98-190-33-123.ri.ri.cox.net [98.190.33.123]
5 33 ms 34 ms 36 ms 68.1.4.42
6 34 ms 33 ms 35 ms bbr1.ord1.rackspace.NET [206.223.119.14]
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 33 ms 35 ms 35 ms 50.56.6.255
9 34 ms 35 ms 35 ms core1-CoreA.ord1.rackspace.net [184.106.126.125]
10 34 ms 35 ms 35 ms aggr501a-1-core1.ord1.rackspace.net [184.106.126
.21]
11 35 ms 34 ms 33 ms 50.57.196.159

Trace complete.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK

MarkRH

Premium Member

I didn't even know that was there. LOL. I'm observant...
betterdan
join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA

betterdan to Hard Harry7

to Hard Harry7
Don't feel bad that makes 2 of us that didn't even know it was there.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
Working fine here. Routing? DNS? Try Cox DNS, if it does not work, try cloning another Mac and see if it works from another IP pool. Otherwise, give them a buzz. Their customer service has been ok for me as cable companies go.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by Selenia:

Working fine here.

Started working within a hour of posting. Has been on and off for most of the day. No point in contacting their customer service, since I used to work for them I know for a fact they wouldn't do anything for this. I left several years before the creation of the forum though.

I was more so looking for input on what exactly might be causing the problem. Has anyone seen similar behavior with other sites?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

The Direct forum here is an excellent resource. I have not needed it with Cox, but it got tough problems with both TWC and Verizon for me. Even the one time they could not do much because of network reconfiguration, they were at least able to get me an answer and an ETA for it being fixed. I gave 2 theories other than issues with the site itself, which I did not see when I visited for you. I have fixed issues with ISPs before like that by either getting another IP or changing the forwarder for my DNS server. Not had to yet with Cox, but if changing IP blocks works, that points to routing issues. If changing DNS works, that speaks for itself.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

I am not sure how your experience relates to my OP. This is a problem with the website itself, or some kind of issue at the hosting level. It isn't a DNS, or routing issue. It has been reported by other users across the country. It just doesn't happen enough for anyone except those that use the support site daily to notice. I see Cox's support forum as a Cox service, so there for open to discussion here. I have to imagine there are people here more geek then me, can anyone tell me what the shown .js files do and how they might be causing a problem?

BryanInPHX
Premium Member
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ

BryanInPHX

Premium Member

said by Hard Harry7:

I am not sure how your experience relates to my OP. This is a problem with the website itself, or some kind of issue at the hosting level.

It also does not connect for me about 50% of the time. It may connect after multiple attempts or I just have to wait until later to connect. It is very frustrating and unreliable.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by BryanInPHX:

It is very frustrating and unreliable.

I agree. But my post isn't so much to point fingers, but to look at it as a technical problem. Does the Escape trick work for you too?
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
Wow, I did not know about that either. Good to have support forums that are so well known

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Would this post be better off under a web site hosting forum? The regular Cox employees seem to be keep very quiet about this. I put some effort into this forum and alot into theirs. I would like to see some of that effort returned by them fixing their own website. Not sure how we can trust Cox to fix our problems when they can't even fix their own. This has been going on for over a year with almost 0 feedback from Cox.

CoxJimR
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR

Premium Member

Harry, if you can give me some specific times you have had this problem I will get it over to someone who can take a look at it.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to Selenia

Premium Member

to Selenia
Cox does not have a direct forum here

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to CoxJimR

to CoxJimR
I would say 11-1PM EST yesterday would be a good place to start. But me and others have made numerous posts about this with certain times through out the year, and I have to assume the moderators see it in action, unless they just aren't using the forums enough. ::cough::

Could you contact them direct via email address cox.help@cox.com ?

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to ajwees41

Premium Member

to ajwees41
Well you are right. Never needed one because I yet to have a major issue with Cox, at least in Arkansas. Maybe he can try PMing odog See Profile I know he works for Cox and often helps out around here. He might be able to get information if anything is going wrong with the site or at least point him in the right direction.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Odog is more of the expert on firmware and the firmware delivery system. He is welcome to chime in, but not going to bug him unless he offers.

This is something someone needs to open a ticket to Atlanta so they can work with the web hosting people. And someone to watch the ticket and make sure it's completed. The problem with the people in Atlanta is they don't do anything if they can show a mistake in your ticket what so ever. So tickets to Atlanta just sit there, or are returned back to the cue that made it. Extremely frustrating.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

then after it's fixed the error still is there if you don't request a new copy of the page.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

@ajwees41 Are you suggesting that this is a issue with temp files or cookies? If so, I think you are underestimating my technical skill and over simplifying the situation. Please see the included screenshot of the HTTP request that were stalling on page load in the original post.

I would also like to mention I have seen times where the top of the page will be blank, have a java looking load animation, and sometimes have a red error message. I will capture those the next time they occur but its clear to me that is where the problem is.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

no I was saying after it is fixed some users including me have to change or delete our cache since it caches the error pages even when it is back up/working.
namida12
join:2004-10-30
Las Vegas, NV

namida12 to CoxJimR

to CoxJimR
CoxJimR, trying to connect and pay bill again tonight, but website has been down for 3 days here in Las Vegas.

I can not sign in only get an error, but clicking on email in another menu I discover I am signed in, but get a message my request is large: 3 day is crazy for the Cox website to be non functional, or navigation not working as designed.

Quote:
"Request Entity Too Large

The requested resource
/ibill/home.cox
does not allow request data with GET requests, or the amount of data provided in the request exceeds the capacity limit."

I am using Google Chrome Version 37.0.2062.120 in a Linux Distro. This happen last year, and it was fixed in several hours.

JR

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

said by namida12:

CoxJimR, trying to connect and pay bill again tonight, but website has been down for 3 days here in Las Vegas.

That is a separate issue not related to this thread. Please contact direct or start your own thread, thank you.
namida12
join:2004-10-30
Las Vegas, NV

namida12

OK... Opened new thread...

JR

CoxJimR
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

CoxJimR to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
OK, I have sent info on both threads to my contact to take a look at. I'm sure they will share them along with their team for further review. If I get any information back I will pass it on.

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Thanks for helping. I can provide more info as requested and as it comes. Its hit or miss, sometimes the site will be fine for days. You seem to have knowledge of HTTP errors. Any idea what would cause the site to not load where pressing escape fixes it? And I have isolated browser issues.
Hard Harry7

Hard Harry7

Started occuring right now, 12:26p EST 10/2/2014.

::Edit:: Back up as of 12:30p EST. Same symptom though, Escape was fixing it.

::2nd Edit:: And now its doing it again as of 12:31p so it's intermittent. Will monitor and post at end of day how many times it goes down.
Ameth
join:2011-07-20
ARRIS eXtreme SB6120
Asus RT-AC66

Ameth

I'm able to bring up the forums from HRD right now. I see the last time you posted as 11:36 AM

»forums.cox.com/forum_hom ··· 672.aspx

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

Thanks for the confirmation. It started working again and stay working around 1PM EST.
said by Ameth:

I see the last time you posted as 11:36 AM

Last time you see me post on this forum or that forum? Is it that obvious who I am? ::duck::
Ameth

Ameth

You know I'll be honest, I didnt read the name but the writing style and upfront information presentation is the same so go go me for recognition

Hard Harry7
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7 to Ameth

to Ameth
New symptom. Now the HTML editor won't load. Page loads fine, but I get a blank spot where the options for font, bold, etc is missing. Pressing escape makes them appear, but can't post. Started as of about 6:40p EST
Ameth

Ameth

I'm not able to get it to load

Win7, FF 32, go to support.cox.com, use the mouse over for Support, chose Support Forums, see firefox spin and spin.