Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

FCC Kills Blackout Rule

And it's over, even though the NFL objected to its removal (see "sellout stadium seats for the owners").

"The Federal Communications Commission on Tuesday voted to kill off its four-decade-old sports blackout rules over the fierce objections of the National Football League.

In a unanimous decision, the five members of the commission said that the rules, which ban cable and satellite companies from showing games blacked out on local broadcast channels, are out of date and hurt consumers."

»thehill.com/policy/techn ··· out-rule

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

I wish they'd kill it in MLB too. Tired of being blacked out when the Orioles play in Yankees Stadium 300 miles away.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

It includes MLB as well.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium Member
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY

kingdome74

Premium Member

All I saw referenced was the NFL. Awesome. Next year I don't have to put up with the Yes network's most boring baseball broadcast. I get spoiled having Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer as the announcers. Fun, fast-paced full of stats. On Yes it's like a funeral dirge.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
This relates to the NFL and does nothing.

Hob

MuDvAyNe
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

MuDvAyNe to Harddrive

Premium Member

to Harddrive
There's blackout rules in baseball also? How does anyone watch any games then if most teams don't sell out. I'm confused lol.

td100776
Premium Member
join:2002-12-19
Keansburg, NJ

td100776

Premium Member

The other 3 Major Sports (MLB, NBA, NHL) only have blackouts for local markets, I don't think they have the ticket sellout rule. in other words if the Mets game was on ESPN & SNY the ESPN feed would only be available outside of the NYC market.