uniqs
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

[HN7000S] Installer question

Is there an entry/setting in the Internet Options (or elsewhere) where I can tell IE (or any browser for that matter) that will allow the redirect during activation to occur?

The newer versions of browsers won't let me get there anymore.
I struggled with a new VAR install today and had to dig out an old laptop that still had an older version of IE that would let me get there.

Raminto
join:2006-02-28
Whitehorse, YT

1 recommendation

Raminto

The only browser that will allow you to connect to the registration server is Safari.
It's sad that hughes does not renew the certificate.
Liberty
Premium Member
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Are you *hiting me?

Safari?
Ok, I'll try it next time

Safari, really?

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

1 recommendation

Raminto

Yes, Safari - believe it or not.
You can follow up on this here:»community.myhughesnet.co ··· pic_link
Liberty
Premium Member
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Thanks Raminto...

gwalk
Premium Member
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.

gwalk to Liberty

Premium Member

to Liberty
The official response:

Amanda, Official Rep
· 561 Posts
· 168 Likes

Good morning Raminto,

I understand the server certificate error can be difficult to work with - I, myself, have had to walk many customers through registering their service at home and it is even harder when you are not there. The server certificate has been expired for quite some time, you are correct in this, however it was not renewed after the launch of Spaceway 3 and Jupiter 1. To my knowledge, no new instances of residential customers are being installed with KU-band systems (unless possibly in Alaska). It is absolutely sure this registration process will not work in IE11, but other browsers like Chrome work fine.

In regards to your question about renewing our certificate - this is something I will have to pass to our management team who oversees the KU system. As a representative of this forum, I am also a representative of our customers here at Hughes. Your issues will not be overlooked and we will let you know what they have in store for our current KU customers who may need support in the future.

Thank you

Amanda
Liberty
Premium Member
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Well, I can say from experience that latest versions of Chrome & FF do not work.

I have never had any version of FF get me there.

I only have a couple jobs a year where I need to run Registration and will try Safari (and bring my old laptop just in case)...

dbirdman
MVM
join:2003-07-07
usa

dbirdman to Liberty

MVM

to Liberty
The only answer I've seen for some time is to have an older machine with an older IE on it.

The need to run registration on Ku-Band is more common than you might think in the mobile world. Some of the old-time tripod users still use it as a method to change location, even though I've provided them with tools that make it unnecessary. Replacing a failed modem is another reason, as well as upgrading from a DW to an HN, which believe-it-or-not is still commonly occurring.
Liberty
Premium Member
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

Don -Question for you.
Is it necessary to add the zips file if user is always in Mx and can't use US zip codes?

I am helping someone down there use your tool to move to different location and they can't get it in their head how to drop the file where it belongs.

I am thinking they don't need it.
Am I right?

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

said by Liberty:

I am thinking they don't need it.
Am I right?

You are right - actually nobody needs it; it is just to make it easier for those that are lat/long challenged! Since it can't be used in Mexico there is no point in having it there at all.

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto to dbirdman

to dbirdman
Don, did you follow this topic on the community site? Do you think that a simple value change from "1" to "0" in the config file really fixes the problem?
Thanks

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

I had not been following it, but I can see how that would be reasonable. For others that want to try it, it is in the SBC file at the bottom, in the [General] section.

If you have a line that says
UseSecureHttp=1

change to
UseSecureHttp=0

If the line does not exist, put it in.

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

Thanks. I would try it right away if I had a HN7000s. But I guess I have to wait for a service call of a KuBand customer and test it there.
Would be nice if any other member with a 7000 could do a test and post the result here.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

I posted the info in my mobile satellite forums, and asked for feedback.
dbirdman

dbirdman

MVM

I just downloaded the latest SBC from Montana Satellite here: »montanatom.wpengine.com/ ··· wnloads/ dated 9/3/14 and it has the =0 line already in it.

Not sure when they changed.

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

Just checked my sbc file archive: the change took place somewhere between January and May 2014.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

Thanks
Liberty
Premium Member
Arizona

Liberty

Premium Member

I used that cfg from Montana a couple days ago.
I did the deal thru them.

I got the redirect problem with it.

How could a modem config file have any impact on a browser issue?
It is an unsigned certificate problem....

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

That is exactly what we try to figure out. My understanding is that the config file is choosing how to connect to the server. Either it is checking for the signature or not.
So you are telling me, that even with the config file with the value: UseSecureHttp=0 is causing the problem? If this is the case we are as smart as before. Please post your problem to the community forum, because they think this was the fix to this.

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman to Liberty

MVM

to Liberty
http pages do not have certificates. Only https pages do. So IF the solution works, the browser would use http and never run into a certificate problem. Each version of browser over the past few years has tightened the screws more on security, to the point that now they just don't let you get to a page with a bad or missing certificate. It isn't an unsigned certificate, it is an expired certificate.
dbirdman

dbirdman to Raminto

MVM

to Raminto
OK, I dug out my modem that hasn't been used since January, 2013, and ran through registration. I unchecked the box to use secure when it appeared, and when the redirect happened it went off without a hitch, and showed http: in the URL. Registration completed normally. IE11 was used. I actually tried it with FF first, and that couldn't get past the "choose receiver" - the exit button showed, but not the back or next buttons. Looking at the source for the page it had an "if not mozilla" conditional.

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

Thanks for testing!
At what point did you see the checkbox to use secure. Was it browser generated or from the modem interface?

dbirdman
MVM
usa

dbirdman

MVM

It was from the modem, somewhere after the signal strength/ACP. I haven't run registration in so long that I don't remember if that was there before - it possible the "=0" triggers it to appear, and the default was checked.

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

Thanks again. I do not remember this either, but will look for it the next time.
Oh well, here we are finding a work around just because to too lazy to renew their certificate....
Liberty
Premium Member
Arizona

Liberty to Raminto

Premium Member

to Raminto
This is great news.
Thanks!

I do recall seeing the tick box for Use Secure Connection or some such.
I even briefly toyed with idea to tick the other box but let my frustration seek the 'easy way' out and got my old laptop with old IE.

Next time....
Liberty

Liberty to Raminto

Premium Member

to Raminto
I just now lit up a new 7000 using a newish version of Chrome.

Took the default tick out of 'Use Secure Connection' box - continued to the redirect 'warning' and went straight to the Agreement page!

Thanks to you two - muchas gracias Amigos!
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee to Raminto

to Raminto
said by Raminto:

At what point did you see the checkbox to use secure. Was it browser generated or from the modem interface?

it's on the "Registration Server Selection" page, which comes immediately after the ACP page.

Raminto
Whitehorse, YT

Raminto

Thanks, I'll look for it next time.....
Raminto

Raminto

Did a HN7000s install yesterday and used the newest version of FF and the registration went through (without using the secure connection). I guess this problem is solved now....