Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 edit

chachazz

Premium Member

[News] No Windows 9 - Microsoft Announces Windows 10

quote:
Microsoft jumps to Windows 10
At at event in San Francisco, Microsoft previews the next iteration of its desktop operating system, Windows 10.

Originally codenamed Windows Threshold, the new operating system is such a substantial leap, says Microsoft's executive VP of operating systems, Terry Myerson, that the company insisted on skipping over Windows 9 when transitioning from 2012's Windows 8.
Cnet - - »www.cnet.com/news/micros ··· dows-10/
quote:
Microsoft christens the next version of Windows as Windows 10
...Microsoft went instead with Windows 10 because they wanted to signify that the coming Windows release would be the last "major" Windows update. Going forward, Microsoft is planning to make regular, smaller updates to the Windows 10 codebase, rather than pushing out new major updates years apart. Windows 10 will have a common codebase across multiple screen sizes, with the UI tailored to work on those devices.
MaryJo Foley - »www.zdnet.com/microsoft- ··· 0034196/
chachazz

chachazz

Premium Member

Re: [News] No Windows 9 - Microsoft jumps to Windows 10

Live from Microsoft's Windows 10 event
The Verge - »live.theverge.com/micros ··· ve-blog/

jap
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
038xx

5 recommendations

jap to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
said by chachazz:

the new operating system is such a substantial leap, says Microsoft's executive VP

Oh oh. We're in for it now.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

"Starting tomorrow we're going to launch our Windows Insider Program."

"Technical Preview build for laptops and desktops."

"We're planning to share more than we ever have before, frankly earlier than we have before."

"We're inviting our enthusiastic fans to evaluate it with us. We know they're a vocal bunch."
chachazz

1 edit

chachazz

Premium Member

Windows Insider Program is almost here (see video)
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ing-soon
quote:
Thanks for your excitement about the Windows Insider Program. We're prepping for the release, so please check back soon.

In the meantime, take a look at the demo video with our very own Joe Belfiore and read the blog to learn more about Windows 10.
chachazz

chachazz

Premium Member

Announcing Windows 10
quote:
That new Windows is Windows 10.

Windows 10 represents the first step of a whole new generation of Windows. Windows 10 unlocks new experiences for customers to work, play and connect. Windows 10 embodies what our customers (both consumers and enterprises) demand and what we will deliver.

Windows 10 will run across an incredibly broad set of devices – from the Internet of Things, to servers in enterprise datacenters worldwide. Some of these devices have 4 inch screens – some have 80 inch screens – and some don’t have screens at all. Some of these devices you hold in your hand, others are ten feet away. Some of these devices you primarily use touch/pen, others mouse/keyboard, others controller/gesture – and some devices can switch between input types.

We’re not talking about one UI to rule them all – we’re talking about one product family, with a tailored experience for each device.
Read more - »blogs.windows.com/bloggi ··· dows-10/

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

1 recommendation

BillRoland to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I want to believe....but I'm concerned that some of this sounds like the Vista era hyperbole.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

Introducing Windows 10 for Business
»blogs.windows.com/busine ··· usiness/
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland
Vista was the trailblazer, and Win 7 got all the credit when it came to uninformed users. Ugh, win 10 will be what Win 8 should have been in the first place. It doesn't feel right to call it Win 10.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

2 recommendations

aurgathor to chachazz

to chachazz
A what?!?

This story has Onion written all over it....

But Microsoft has already proven that they are capable of even bigger foolishness and stupidity, so they are most certainly capable of doing this.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to chachazz

MVM

to chachazz

Re: [News] No Windows 9 - Microsoft Announces Windows 10

Trepidation is what comes to mind,....

Announcing or suggesting that Windows 10 will be the last "Big" update to Windows doesn't really sit well with me. I'd need more details about Microsoft's licensing and deployment plans but this sounds like something very different then what we are used to.

Perhaps this is what people were referring to when viewing Windows as a service or a product bought on a subscription bases.

Im not into hemorrhaging money for a single license on a monthly or yearly bases just for an OS,....

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
With our luck 10 will also be a bust in terrible. Everybody had been predicting that Windows 9 would be a great operating system based on the fact that it seems like every other operating system they came out with was good. Now we are hearing that they skip the good one (Windows 9) and are going straight to another bad one (Windows 10)!

If this is truly going to be the last major operating system they announce that I'd bet that it will be like Office 365 and require an annual fee for its use. Otherwise Microsoft wouldn't have a continuing source of income from operating systems which is something they obviously don't want to lose.
OldAuditor
join:2007-03-24
Oklahoma City, OK

OldAuditor to chachazz

to chachazz
Win 10 10? Arf!!

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I for one cannot wait to be more efficient with this new O/S!

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to chachazz

Mod

to chachazz
I am glad Microsoft is going to release OS 10.
quote:
Going forward, Microsoft is planning to make regular, smaller updates to the Windows 10 codebase, rather than pushing out new major updates years apart. Windows 10 will have a common codebase across multiple screen sizes, with the UI tailored to work on those devices.
That sounds vaguely familiar.

PatchTues
@73.160.110.x

PatchTues to BillRoland

Anon

to BillRoland

said by BillRoland:

I want to believe....but I'm concerned that some of this sounds like the Vista era hyperbole.

Sounds like the Android platform. We have Android for smartphones, for tablets, and now for watches, and other devices coming.

So now we will have Windows 10 for all different devices. They won't look the same on the different devices, but all will get that Windows 10 name. Sounds more like marketing branding than some unified technical platform.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz to OldAuditor

Premium Member

to OldAuditor

Re: [News] No Windows 9 - Microsoft Announces Windows 10

No mention of prices or upgrade prices yet!
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
You forgot the "X".

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

quote:
The Enterprise Technical Preview (Build 9841) will work on x86 machines only. Microsoft is not yet making available a test build of the ARM version of Windows 10. Microsoft officials said to expect that more consumer-focused preview to arrive in early 2015. (Previous leaks have pegged availabiity of the consumer preview to the January/February 2015 timeframe).
MaryJo Foley - »www.zdnet.com/microsofts ··· 0034210/

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to chachazz

Mod

to chachazz
Looks like a winner to me. It is smart to make it so available, so early in the development process. I can't believe Windows 8 had enough end-user input in the development process. I also think it is smart skipping the Windows 9 label. The name "Windows 8" is a negative for a huge number of people. If you go to 9, you make everyone remember 8. If you use the number ten, you imply a new foundation and a step away from the past, whether it is true or not.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

4 recommendations

Msradell

Premium Member

said by Kramer:

Looks like a winner to me. It is smart to make it so available, so early in the development process. I can't believe Windows 8 had enough end-user input in the development process.

IT Doesn't Matter How Early in the Development Process You Let People See the Product If You Don't Listen to Them When They Give Input! Every place you looked people who were running the beta release of Windows 8 were saying that it needed a true start menu yet Microsoft ignored that and released what they wanted to anyway. If Windows 10 is going to be the same way that might bother trying to give feedback?

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

3 recommendations

DownTheShore to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Uh-oh - it's an even numberrrrrr!!!

And the Win 7/XP people were soooo hopeful that Win 9 was going to be the panacea, as opposed to that nasty, nasty Win 8/8.1!

(Not an image of me, but I agree with the sentiment. )
TurtleFan
join:2003-05-03
Wyckoff, NJ

4 recommendations

TurtleFan to chachazz

to chachazz
what a joke.....

Get rid of the tiles...I don't buy apps in windows, I buy programs. just stick with what worked in windows 7 and stop trying to fix what isn't broken so you can have an excuse to release something new every few years

M_
join:2010-05-01
Vancouver, BC

3 recommendations

M_ to chachazz

to chachazz
Windows7 Ultimate + XPsp3 are all I will be needing for the foreseeable future - and they both function perfectly well.

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to Msradell

Mod

to Msradell
said by Msradell:

said by Kramer:

Looks like a winner to me. It is smart to make it so available, so early in the development process. I can't believe Windows 8 had enough end-user input in the development process.

IT Doesn't Matter How Early in the Development Process You Let People See the Product If You Don't Listen to Them When They Give Input! Every place you looked people who were running the beta release of Windows 8 were saying that it needed a true start menu yet Microsoft ignored that and released what they wanted to anyway. If Windows 10 is going to be the same way that might bother trying to give feedback?

I doubt they will make that mistake twice, but I agree with you. There is a lot of evidence they are listening to their customers, so I have hope. With Office 2013 the biggest complaint I have had to deal with (excluding the self destructing nature of it and horrible subscription experiences) is the extreme brightness of the themes. The white theme is so bright you can hear a voice telling you to walk away from the light. The "dark grey" theme is almost as bright and an insult to the word "dark". I just read they are going to introduce a black theme. The Start Menu in WIN10 looks useful enough to avoid any major complaints. I'm debating when and if to sacrifice my smoothly running laptop to check it out.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to TurtleFan

Premium Member

to TurtleFan
said by TurtleFan:

I don't buy apps in windows

Therefore, nobody should be able to.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
Windows XP was the last odd number -- 5.1/5.2. Vista, 7, and 8 are all 6.x.
sivran

sivran to TurtleFan

Premium Member

to TurtleFan
said by TurtleFan:

.I don't buy apps in windows

Yes you do.
DarkSithPro (banned)
join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ

DarkSithPro (banned) to chachazz

to chachazz

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

3 recommendations

norwegian to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

"We're planning to share more than we ever have before, frankly earlier than we have before."

"We're inviting our enthusiastic fans to evaluate it with us. We know they're a vocal bunch."

With comments like that and the history over Win 8, 8.1, I just can't help feeling like I'm listening to a second-hand car dealer trying to make a rust bucket sound like a Porsche.
Call me skeptical.
I gather free upgrade has been canned too, no confusion over '9 and free', this is Win 10.

Thanks for the news and updates though, I will be patient and wait to see what comes of all this.