Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

Re: [News] No Windows 9 - Microsoft Announces Windows 10

For home users:

*Win 2000 was a no-go driver-wise, so they waited to upgrade to XP* from Win 98 or ME
*Win Vista was a resource hog, so they waited to upgrade to Win 7* from XP
*Win 8 was too much of a change, so they're waiting to upgrade to Windows 10*

*coincides with 3-5 year business upgrade cycle

See a pattern here? Microsoft is looking for long term success, which it has, rather than specific release failures.

It's the overall trend line that counts, not the short term dips.

BTW MS is still moving ahead with 1 OS for all platforms, differing in features by platform. That too is a long term MS goal.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Feedback time. I can't find where to disable bing from searching the internet, displaying ads, or to remove search from the taskbar. I didn't want bing on my desktop when it was optional. I don't want my local searches also searching the web.

If they are going to force us to see ads they better make the damn os free, that's all I have to say, and even if it is free you couldn't pay some of us to see ads.

trparky
Premium Member
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
·AT&T U-Verse

trparky to cb14

Premium Member

to cb14
said by cb14:

And this whole unified platform thing. Do they really expect everyone buying Windows phone because of that? Not happening any time soon.

It has nothing to do with that, well maybe a little but that's not the whole reason. They want one platform, one kernel, and one driver model to make it easier to develop for. That way they can do the fixes needed to a single unified code base and compile as required for each platform. This includes the desktop/notebook, tablet, phone, and Xbox One; one platform to run on all of them.
trparky

2 recommendations

trparky

Premium Member

As for Windows XP, that thing needs to be buried six feet under! Taken out back and shot, Old Yeller style! It's a piece of shit under the hood in the kernel, it's absolute trash! It runs like hot garbage! The damn thing has more security holes in it than Swiss cheese. It was never designed for the app sandboxing required in this day and age in which security holes and exploits can cross from one program to another.

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to trparky

to trparky
said by trparky:

said by cb14:

And this whole unified platform thing. Do they really expect everyone buying Windows phone because of that? Not happening any time soon.

It has nothing to do with that, well maybe a little but that's not the whole reason. They want one platform, one kernel, and one driver model to make it easier to develop for. That way they can do the fixes needed to a single unified code base and compile as required for each platform. This includes the desktop/notebook, tablet, phone, and Xbox One; one platform to run on all of them.

That makes sense. But the way they communicated it made me suspicious.

BTW I do not use XP and since it is aged indeed probably quite vulnerable. But everybody here left and right uses it, like my dentist's and ey doctor's office. Well maybe a bug makes someone to pay my bills...

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to TheTechGuru

Premium Member

to TheTechGuru
said by TheTechGuru:

IMHO:

Windows 3.x | Windows 4 (NT 4) | Windows 5 (2000) | Windows 6 (Vista) | Windows 7 | Windows 8 | Windows 9 (8.1) | and now Windows 10

The non NT kernel Windows OS's (95/98/ME) seem to not be a part of the numbering system.

You are forgetting Windows XP, which only happens to be.... the most used Windows EVER in the history of the OS.

The kernel numbers don't really add up though.

There was of course also a Windows NT 3.5.x which was used a lot in businesses as server.

Windows NT: Kernel 4.0
Windows 2000: Kernel 5.0
Windows XP: Kernel 5.1 (64bit Windows XP has the 5.2 kernel from Server 2003)
Windows 2003 Server: Kernel 5.2
Windows Vista/Server 2008: Kernel 6.0
Windows 7/Server 2008 R2: Kernel 6.1
Windows 8/Server 2012: Kernel 6.2
Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2: Kernel 6.3

Windows 10: Kernel 6.4

It will be interesting to see if Windows 10 will develop into a Kernel 7.0. Windows Vista for instance, had 5.x kernels in the earlier beta phase before settling on to a 6.0 kernel in the public betas.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Wily_One

to Wily_One
said by Wily_One:

I have my doubts about that. The version of Win7 is not "Windows 7", it's: "Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]" (in the case of SP1) for example.

Haven't done much windows programming recently, but as far as I can remember there are several different ways to get a version, product ID, or whatnot, and I wouldn't be too surprised that if there were some function call that returns "Windows 95" or "Windows 98" on the respective OSs.

As it was mentioned above, "I could see it being true", although more details would be nice.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

1 edit

Davesnothere to psloss

Premium Member

to psloss
said by psloss:

said by Davesnothere:

....comments about the Start Menu would be high on the list, and possibly a screenshot or two ?.

Couple of links...neowin.net has a gallery....

Thanks kindly.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to randavis

Premium Member

to randavis
said by randavis:

....I like it compact and to the point. I don't need pictures or other eye candy in my menus....

Exactly.

More like Win2K's Start Menu (or Win9x) would still suit me fine.
Davesnothere

2 edits

Davesnothere to cb14

Premium Member

to cb14
said by cb14:

Well, they may want to rationalize it (or let others to do that for them).

But it's all the same game all over again. Remember both Vista and Win 8 release? All the talk about user input? ROFL

Then came the negative reactions.

So what does Microsoft? A propaganda barrage by it's shills depicting everyone who did not like it as senile retards hating change.

The, after the senile retards stopped buying Microsoft's junk, or, when they had to, "down"graded to older versions, there is a massive turn and suddenly Microsoft admits that the version was flawed and announces something far better.

Anyone surprised that Windows XP are still wildly popular in spite of no support?

Do not fix what ain't broke and do not throw out the child with the bath water.

I would have been happy if they just worked on improvement of Windows XP, and dropped change for the sake of change.

Totally in agreement here.
Davesnothere

1 edit

Davesnothere to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky
said by trparky:

As for Windows XP, that thing needs to be buried six feet under! Taken out back and shot, Old Yeller style! It's a piece of shit under the hood in the kernel, it's absolute trash! It runs like hot garbage! The damn thing has more security holes in it than Swiss cheese. It was never designed for the app sandboxing required in this day and age in which security holes and exploits can cross from one program to another.

Methinks thou dost protest too much !

Rhetoric reminds me somewhat of the Monty Python 'Dead Parrot Sketch'. (That was a compliment, BTW)

[Prob'ly has me on ignore anyway]

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Well, I went ahead and downloaded the 64 bit (non enterprise) ISO file, and installed it.

The hardware I used was a HP Pavilion dv2500 Entertainment Notebook. I had that on hand, as I was in the process of doing a reinstall of Windows 7 for a family member. I had already saved their data, and was ready to re-install Windows 7. So, figured that would be a good quick test.

Setup process was similar to Windows 8.1. This includes the boot from the DVD, the screen that come up showing the license agreement, selection and options of what partition or HD to install it on, and so on.

Like Windows 8.x, I selected the Custom Option, and noticed a similar set of screens. Missing however was an option of how to Configure Windows Update, as well as what name to give your system.

Once the install was done (did not physically time it, but it appears to have taken around 20-30 minutes), things were good to go.

I did a few quick checks, and things look like Windows 8.1, with of course the change back to a Start Menu, instead of a start screen.

Speaking of that, here is the option that allows you to select which version you want.

A log out / re-log in is require for that change to take effect, but it does what it says. You can easily switch between Start Screen (Windows 8.x) and Start Menu.

Also, for those that did a lot of sub-folder nesting in Windows 7 (and prior), that functionally does work in the Technical preview of Windows 10, as shown below.

Notice the folders view from Windows Explorer. That directory is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Windows Accessories, and notice that you see sub-folders of "System Tools" and "Tablet PC". If you look at the Start Menu, I'm in that same location, it shows the same sub-folders.

And yes, if you look at my start menu, I did unpin all of the apps from it, so I am left with a "normal" start menu. The colors of course are different from Windows 7, but at least from what I can tell, the functionally of it is the same.

I'll have to play around a little bit more with it, but so far, it looks like this is what Windows 8.x should have been to begin with. As I've always said...Start Screen (aka Metro) is nice, and so are the Windows Apps for those that want to use them, but do not force them onto everyone. Give the end user a choice, and you will make more people happy. It appears that is what Microsoft has finally done.

--Brian

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

1 edit

MacGyver to chachazz

to chachazz
I installed Win10-64 in VirtualBox just to play around. First order of business, where is device manager? Right click on "Computer" in start menu - nope, "Computer" not there anymore. What if I right click on the start button? SUCCESS!

This certainly makes administering an enterprise machine (or any machine for that matter) easier. Many of these important functions used to be buried under layers of menus.
91862239 (banned)
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

91862239 (banned) to chachazz

to chachazz
if i install this will it work with secondlife can i use it up till its realesed ?

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 edit

Octavean to chachazz

MVM

to chachazz
OK, I had forgotten that I had the option of using an old HP TouchSmart 22" All-In-One system I have which is Intel Core 2 based with nVidia graphics. I was using it as an experimental system before so I can pull it out again for the new experiment, which, is the Windows 10 Preview. I don't care about what is on the drive so I am good to go.

Edit:
Octavean

Octavean to BlitzenZeus

MVM

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

Feedback time. I can't find where to disable bing from searching the internet, displaying ads, or to remove search from the taskbar. I didn't want bing on my desktop when it was optional. I don't want my local searches also searching the web.

If they are going to force us to see ads they better make the damn os free, that's all I have to say, and even if it is free you couldn't pay some of us to see ads.

Did you do a custom install or an express install?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

It ignored my custom install settings, and they were removed from pc settings. So it didn't matter if I did either one.

Razzy12345
@69.204.157.x

Razzy12345 to MacGyver

Anon

to MacGyver
That been there since Windows 8 =)

Just installed it on my home PC.

I LOVE WINDOWS 10!!!! YOU ALL KNEW THAT WAS COMING!

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
I'll stick with W7 till it dies.........and I still run XP on my desktop.

I fix my customer's W8 machines and most are so annoyed at the idiotic metro desktop that I have to install Classic Start menu..........most wish they had stayed with W7.

Razzy12345
@69.204.157.x

Razzy12345

Anon

I trained my customers on Windows 8 and they love them ever since........

Kramer
Mod
join:2000-08-03
Richmond, VA

Kramer to chachazz

Mod

to chachazz
I haven't installed it on anything yet, but this looks like this is going to be one of my favorite features: »www.hanselman.com/blog/W ··· eys.aspx

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

Damn, this is strange. In some parts of Windows 10 the kernel identifies itself as version 6.4 (like in the command prompt) but in others it still identifies itself as version 6.3.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Windows 10 Test Install

said by plencnerb:

Well, I went ahead and downloaded the 64 bit (non enterprise) ISO file, and installed it....

....I did a few quick checks, and things look like Windows 8.1, with of course the change back to a Start Menu, instead of a start screen.

Speaking of that, here is the option that allows you to select which version you want :

[attachment=1]

A log out / re-log in is require for that change to take effect, but it does what it says. You can easily switch between Start Screen (Windows 8.x) and Start Menu.

Also, for those that did a lot of sub-folder nesting in Windows 7 (and prior), that functionally does work in the Technical preview of Windows 10, as shown below....

[attachment=2]

....I'll have to play around a little bit more with it, but
so far, it looks like this is what Windows 8.x should have been to begin with.

As I've always said...Start Screen (aka Metro) is nice, and so are the Windows Apps for those that want to use them, but do not force them onto everyone.

Give the end user a choice, and you will make more people happy. It appears that is what Microsoft has finally done.

Quite true, no matter WHAT version number that they artificially assign to it.

Thanks.
psloss
Premium Member
join:2002-02-24

2 edits

psloss to trparky

Premium Member

to trparky

Re: [News] No Windows 9 - Microsoft Announces Windows 10

said by trparky:

Damn, this is strange. In some parts of Windows 10 the kernel identifies itself as version 6.4 (like in the command prompt) but in others it still identifies itself as version 6.3.

Might be a carry-over from the last release, where some code paths returned 6.2 and some returned 6.3. The official words were to add/tweak application manifests:
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· %29.aspx

Edit: I'm seeing 6.2.9200 (Win8) returned via the deprecated GetVersionEx. The Native API entry point returns 6.4.9841.
psloss

1 edit

psloss to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

Like Windows 8.x, I selected the Custom Option, and noticed a similar set of screens. Missing however was an option of how to Configure Windows Update, as well as what name to give your system.

Besides the computer name prompt (which has probably become more of a 'power user' thing), I also miss the prompt to set the time zone, which defaults to Redmond time. It seems to be sliding towards the server installs, minus the "Initial Configuration" reminders those put up.

I coulda swore I saw the Windows Update drop down behind the Customize choice, but then I don't install with networking active any more. When Microsoft made the change with Windows 8 to basically force activation at the end of Setup (or first boot/login), I stopped installing with network access.

Edit: I was wrong -- did another test install and as you wrote, there is no choice to change the Windows Update setting during Setup.

aurgathor
join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA

aurgathor to Razzy12345

to Razzy12345
said by Razzy12345 :

I LOVE WINDOWS 10!!!! YOU ALL KNEW THAT WAS COMING!

You loved Windows 8, too.  

trparky
Premium Member
Cleveland, OH

trparky

Premium Member

And the .NET Framework identifies Windows 10 as NT 6.2. Something is screwy here.
Expand your moderator at work