join:2003-12-14

1 edit

chachazz

Premium Member

Windows 10[Technical Preview] keeping customers secure and up-to-date

Microsoft has skipped "9" and jumped to "Windows 10"

Introducing Windows 10 for Business
quote:
Windows 10 will be delivered in a way that gives more choice and flexibility to businesses. As a result, a business can pick the speed of innovation that is right for each group of its users, rather than apply a one size fits all solution.

Businesses will be able to opt-in to the fast-moving consumer pace, or lock-down mission critical environments to receive only security and critical updates to their systems. And businesses will have an in-between option for systems that aren't mission critical, but need to keep pace with the latest innovations without disrupting the flow of business. And the choice isn't one or the other for businesses; we expect that most will require a mixed approach where a number of scenarios can be accommodated.
Read more: »blogs.windows.com/busine ··· usiness/

Announcing Windows 10
»blogs.windows.com/bloggi ··· dows-10/

Technical Preview available tomorrow

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ing-soon
redwolfe_98
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11

1 edit

redwolfe_98

Premium Member

Re: Windows 10 -keeping customers secure and up-to-date

i don't like the way that MS has merged the "start screen" into the "start menu"..
Expand your moderator at work
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to chachazz

MVM

to chachazz

Re: Windows 10 -keeping customers secure and up-to-date

said by redwolfe_98:

i don't like the way that MS has merged the "start screen" into the "start menu"..

I just got a Windows 8 machine a few months ago...I'm having a hard enough time digesting the "start screen."
This is like a firehose in both ears AND the mouth!

Regards
doppler
join:2003-03-31
Blue Point, NY

doppler

said by HELLFIRE:

I just got a Windows 8 machine a few months ago...I'm having a hard enough time digesting the "start screen."
This is like a firehose in both ears AND the mouth!

Thanks for the visual. Try 2 machines. Did you know there are 6 other place for water to shoot. My experience has water from those places.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
Microsoft blabbering on about "innovation": It does make me chortle.

I haven't seen anything revolutionary from them in the Windows and Office areas since 1995.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

said by lorennerol:

I haven't seen anything revolutionary from them in the Windows and Office areas since 1995.

What did Microsoft innovate in 1995?
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

We were finally freed from the 640k memory limitations thanks to Windows 95. That was also when they introduced the "Start" menu (the Rolling Stones played the launch party in Seattle), which I think did truly change the way people interacted with Windows. Until, of course, they stupidly removed it from Win8.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

1 edit

camper

Premium Member

said by lorennerol:

We were finally freed from the 640k memory limitations thanks to Windows 95.

Well, I was using more than 640k of memory since late 1988 when I was running OS/2, which could handle 15MB of memory (though at $500/MB, few people had more than 5MB of memory installed). In 1992, OS/2 was running in 32-bit mode and supporting multiple DOS virtual machines. Way ahead of Windows 3.1 at the time and three years before Windows 95. A year later in 1993, Microsoft finally released an operating system that could provide similar features, Windows NT.

If you look at the world only through the lens of Windows then, yes, Windows 95 had a lot of nifty new (to Windows) features.

But Windows 95 was hardly innovative. Except, of course, if you consider marketing innovation.   Windows 95 was marketed very well.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
MS always do this. [yawns]

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 5Cr4M-F8

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22 to redwolfe_98

to redwolfe_98
said by redwolfe_98:

Don't worry, Start8 will continue to let you pick I am sure
dib22

dib22 to camper

to camper
said by camper:

Well, I was using more than 640k of memory since late 1988 when I was running OS/2, which could handle 15MB of memory (though at $500/MB, few people had more than 5MB of memory installed) ... A year later in 1993, Microsoft finally released an operating system that could provide similar features, Windows NT.

You know microsoft wrote os/2 yes?

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper

Premium Member

said by dib22:

You know microsoft wrote os/2 yes?

Yup, Microsoft wrote part of the OS/2 LAN Manager-branded product. I still have the Microsoft OS/2 LAN Manager book bag Microsoft gave me at an OS/2 LAN Manager release celebration. .

IBM also wrote part of it (back in the day, it was said that IBM was the major designer, using a lot of virtual machine technology that IBM knew from the mainframe world). 3Com contributed some code as well, and sold their 3+Open product, based upon OS/2 LAN Manager.

But the point was that breaking the 640k barrier was not really something that Microsoft "innovated" in Windows 95. When Intel released the 80286, I was using UNIX-based "desktop PCs" that took full advantage of the 16MB of the chip, not needing to set aside the first 1MB for "DOS compatibility" and restricting the available memory to 15MB. Of course, UNIX on the desktop back then was not that popular (major understatement).

The real credit for innovation should go to Intel for developing the 80286 that was able to address 16MB of memory, and the 80386 that was the first of the Intel CPUs that dealt with multiple virtual machines in a successful manner.

On the other hand, Digital Equipment Corporation, Honeywell, Hewlett-Packard, General Electric, IBM, and others, had all been producing CPUs that were capable of virtual machines addressing larger memory many years before Intel.

When you look at the history of the PC industry, eventually you begin to realize that all that was occurring was the re-invention of things that had been learned in the mainframe industry. The cloud that is hyped up so much today is little more than the same mainframe business model and architecture of 30, 40 years ago (but with a lot of modern buzzwords thrown around).

The more things change, the more they stay the same......
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to chachazz

Premium Member

to chachazz
What fast moving consumer pace? I haven't read anything about Windows 10 as I have little interest in it. I have no interest either in "fast moving consumer pace" whatever that is. I would obviously want the Enterprise version as I want NO changes during the 5 year life of a computer. But I am not an Enterprise customer so you are saying that Windows for Consumers will be an absolute shit nightmare...that's why I am not interested.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

Of note -
Install Windows [10] Technical Preview
»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· faq=tab4

• Windows Update will be set to automatically install important updates as they become available. You won’t be able to turn off automatic updates in Windows Technical Preview.
• To change when preview builds are installed, open PC settings, click Upgrade and recovery, click Preview builds, and then click Change the time my PC installs preview builds.
chachazz

chachazz

Premium Member

Already some updates -
»support2.microsoft.com/k ··· /3001512

Issues that are fixed in this update

• In Windows Technical Preview, certain devices do not receive firmware or driver updates.
• Adobe Flash update does not contain premium video playback.
• Some problems in the Compatibility View list for Internet Explorer 11.

This update is available from Windows Update.
avze
join:2013-08-19

avze

MS is really in a confused state of mind here. Now it was Win9 and now called Win10.
I don't care what MS has to say that we need to move forward and have an "app-like" version of Windows. I mean come on.
What MS really needs to do here, is focus more on SECURITY and NOT on cosmetic looking eye candy features.
If you need users to move on to an "APP-LIKE" environment, it is more suited on tablets and not on desktops....

Please MS.....Focus more on securing your product, rather than being fancy.

Just my 2 cents.
Mister_E
join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON

Mister_E to chachazz

to chachazz

Re: Windows 10[Technical Preview] keeping customers secure and up-to-date

Interesting technical reason why MS skipped from 9 to 10:

»www.yahoo.com/tech/is-th ··· 404.html

Of course, I've also heard that 7 8 9...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Mister_E:

Interesting technical reason why MS skipped from 9 to 10:

»www.yahoo.com/tech/is-th ··· 404.html

Of course, I've also heard that 7 8 9...

WOW! so stupid, yet so plausible.

chachazz
Premium Member

1 recommendation

chachazz

Premium Member

quote:
...is intended for PC experts and IT pros who are comfortable using pre-release software with variable quality. Insiders will receive a steady stream of early builds from us with the latest features we're experimenting with.
More stable builds (ie: beta/RTM) with more consumer features will emerge later. This Technical Preview is really not intended for the "average" user.