WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

WiFiguru

Premium Member

MLB and NHL?

So how about MLB and NHL? They blackout local games on their pay services (MLB.TV, NHL GameCenter Live) if you live in the area of the team you are trying to watch.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

Not affected by this.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to WiFiguru

MVM

to WiFiguru
said by WiFiguru:

So how about MLB and NHL? They blackout local games on their pay services (MLB.TV, NHL GameCenter Live) if you live in the area of the team you are trying to watch.

As PatchTues had said:
said by PatchTues :

The FCC ruling applies to ALL sports league blackouts, including MLB. But the NFL was the only league that really used the blackout rule to any extent.
»online.wsj.com/articles/ ··· 12091621

quote:
The FCC voted unanimously (5-0) to retire the sports blackout rule, which covers all sports leagues but has applied exclusively to National Football League games in recent years, in part because NFL games are still available on broadcast TV.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt to WiFiguru

Premium Member

to WiFiguru
individual teams, and the NFL (or other league) can still agree to require blackout rules with all broadcasts...they just can't blame the FCC.

caster
@198.41.85.x

caster to WiFiguru

Anon

to WiFiguru
that case is working thought the court system.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned) to telcodad

to telcodad
As I stated MLB and the NHL are not affected by this because it applies to BROADCAST not streaming or even games on cable.
sparek
join:2002-06-10
united state

sparek to WiFiguru

to WiFiguru
As I understand it, this is referring to a type of blackout where its blacked out on TV, if the stadium didn't sell out.

I agree that something needs to be done with the MLB blackout (I don't watch NHL, not sure what their rules are). But MLB has some seriously weird overreaches in terms of what teams can call their territory. Not to mention, if you buy the Extra Innings package, you should get every game, regardless of whose blackout territory you are in.

I read some where that the MLB blackout rules go back to the days of radio, before TV - much less cable and satellite - were even invented.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena to WiFiguru

Premium Member

to WiFiguru
said by WiFiguru:

No affected, and a different kind of blackout. The NFL blackout was used when the stadium was not filled for at least 95% or something like that. Even if a MLB or NHL team only sells 10% of the stadium, it will still be on TV.

The online viewing blackout has a more modern, commercial reason, and has more to do with the channel owners who broadcast the matches, they don't want competition from the online platform, and want the local viewers to see the local commercials.
devolved
join:2012-07-11
Rapid City, SD

devolved to 78036364

to 78036364
Right, which basically puts the NFL in line with the NHL and the MLB in protecting the local broadcaster.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned) to maartena

to maartena
said by maartena:

The online viewing blackout has a more modern, commercial reason, and has more to do with the channel owners who broadcast the matches, they don't want competition from the online platform, and want the local viewers to see the local commercials.

The odd thing is the few times I've used MLB.TV they DID show the local commercials. So I'm not seeing what the issue is

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by 78036364:

said by maartena:

The odd thing is the few times I've used MLB.TV they DID show the local commercials. So I'm not seeing what the issue is

MLB.tv uses the home game stream, so from the team who plays home. If your team plays away, your local sports team will still insert local commercials and air the game.

You may have gotten lucky and saw a few MLB.tv games where the team you were watching was playing at home at the home stadium. Fans of the visiting team would have to watch the same stream and commentary.