All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ImpetuousR
@69.45.34.x

ImpetuousR

Anon

[Qwest] SLOW Internet - Replacement Modem?

I went to my parents house who have CenturyLink. Noticed their internet speed was very slow. I did a speedtest.net test with closest server to my area. The speed came in around 2.5MPBS down (Tested on 2 hardwire connected PCs).

They plan they are on is for 50D/5U, and the time of day I wouldn't imagine would have high congestion. Their wireless is intermittent, and the speeds sucks.
They are currently leasing a Actiontec C1000A.

I'd prefer to purchase for them the best modem possible and use a separate higher end router.

I use Cox, and have a DOCSIS 3.0 Modem and Asus Router that made a huge difference.
I'm not as familiar with DSL, and searching on here it seems that a lot of the modems have wireless built-in.

Was wondering what you guys think the best setup is. Thanks.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

I would try a speed test directly connected to the MODEM/Router and see what that gives you.

Narrow down the suspects before you start replacing parts.

ImpetuousR
@68.98.92.x

ImpetuousR

Anon

So I actually only tested on one computer initially but on both wireless and wired. It was my moms computer that I built for her.

I initially did a speed test on the TRENDnet TEW-726EC N600 Wireless Dual Band that uses the Atheros AR9382. Installed latest Atheros driver. Got 2.5 MBPS.

I then ran a hardwire directly from modem to the built in Ethernet (Realtek 8111E) with latest Realtek drivers. Got 2.5 MBPS.

I tested on my dads computer, he got 46+MBPS.

I then picked up an Intel Gigabit CT PCI-E Network Adapter EXPI9301CTBLK to put in my moms computer. Initial run I got max speed of around 46+ MBPS. I got everything back together, Re-Ran and I was consistently tapped out at 10MBPS. I'd go in the other room, and dads computer would get 46+ MBPS, so I know it wasnt network congestion. I played around with settings, flushed the DNS, updated to latest driver I could find, checked modem had latest firmware, etc. Nothing worked.

I then ran the hardwire from a switch rather than directly from the modem and I got the speeds back to around 40MBPS.

So with new LAN card installed and cat5 run from switch instead of directly from router, I was able to get the speeds back up to what they should be at.

I'm back in business now. Doesn't make sense to me, but it works. Hopefully that helps someone in the future.

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV

Irish Shark

MVM

Good job on troubleshooting.

I have seen that with certain network cards and the MODEM/Router do not play nice together. One thing that you can look at is the NIC duplex settings. If it is set to Auto, try full and half duplex and see if that gets it working.

Since it is running OK with the switch, I would set it back after playing with the MODEM/Router if you can not get it working.