andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

2 recommendations

andyross

MVM

Windows Update: KB3001554

Just noticed an out-of-band Windows Update today.
»support2.microsoft.com/k ··· /3001554

Something to do with DVD playback.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

2 edits

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

Hmmm... interesting.
Why does Windows Update have to use the same generic message for every hotfix or security patch? I always check the links in Windows Update for clarification.
"This update helps Microsoft improve customer experiences in DVD playback in Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
Check out the Prerequisites before you install this update, and see the "References" section about DVD playback."

kici
@113.20.73.x

kici to andyross

Anon

to andyross
after this "update" my dvd drive stopped reading dics!

OzTones
@91.125.215.x

OzTones

Anon

Sorry to hear that Kici. But having read your result after I installed the update, I thought I'd better check _my_ dvd drive still worked. Happily it does as normal, with VLC Media Player, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player.

Just thought I'd mention this in case Kici's post makes anyone nervous.

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

1 recommendation

dvd536 to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
What exactly does this address?
sounds like more DRM to me since the page didn't say what it addressed *skip* hide update.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
who gives a crap it's very easy to copy a dvd now days

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn

Premium Member

It is???

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to kici

Premium Member

to kici
said by kici :

after this "update" my dvd drive stopped reading dics!

There are reports appearing out on the net about the 3001554 patch causing freezes, crashes, and software apps problems (games, dvd players, trading programs, etc failing to work) that were cleared by uninstalling the patch. YMMV, but I'd take those reports as a flashing "yellow" caution light.

Super
@70.92.255.x

Super

Anon

I noticed a few days after this update that my USB mouse was disconnecting and reconnecting. It is a g400 Logitech. Which has been known to mess up or break down. Many forum posts about the Logitech mouses messing up. However after multiple hours of troubleshooting, which is extremely hard to do. (It only happened on one game. Arma 3). I have decided to uninstall this last patch, because it is exactly around the same time my mouse started goofing. I know my mouse is good. I have checked everything I can think of. I will report back here and on other forums with results. I love when people take time out of there day to help others trouble shoot. I have to pay it forward. Im just happy I don't have to make an account here.

Pyrion
Liquid Metal Nanomorph
join:2001-12-01
Spirit Lake, ID

Pyrion to Blackbird

to Blackbird
Yeah, started having random system freezes since installing this update. Two so far. Just uninstalled it and I'm gonna keep an eye on the system to see if it persists.

super
@70.92.255.x

super to Super

Anon

to Super
With 98% certainty, I can say that is update was the problem. A friend told me that this update was rolled back a few days later. I have not confirmed this. Stay away from this update.