spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Thomas M5
join:2005-06-06
Germany

5 recommendations

Thomas M5

Foxit Reader installs Cloud add-on and uploads all open files to it!

Foxit Reader is my alternative PDF reader, and so far I liked it a lot.

Yesterday I was informed about an update of Foxit, which I installed.
After restarting the updated Foxit I opened a PDF file and right away a window popped up telling me that my file was succefully uploaded into the "Foxit Cloud"....
I was shocked, checked the Foxit options and found a new menu button called "Cloud", which is enabled by default. No information on this was provided during the update.
Yes, you can deinstall this cloud thing afterwards via remove software in Windows, but I felt like being robbed by Foxit....

So be careful when updating Foxit!
Thomas

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

3 recommendations

dandelion

MVM

Interesting, thanks for the warning.. haven't updated yet.
alien8
join:2004-03-03
UK

2 recommendations

alien8 to Thomas M5

to Thomas M5
»techdows.com/2013/10/how ··· gin.html

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Thomas M5

Premium Member

to Thomas M5
The plug-in wouldn't be the only thing I uninstall.....bye Foxit.
alien8
join:2004-03-03
UK

3 recommendations

alien8

sumatra seems pretty good..

»blog.kowalczyk.info/soft ··· der.html

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

3 recommendations

Robotics to Thomas M5

Premium Member

to Thomas M5
Thanks for the heads up on this.

I will be uninstalling Foxit as soon as I'm done writing this post.

I'm sick of this "cloud" crap. It's popping up everywhere you go.
I'm sure its great for some but its not for me...ever.
EdmundGerber
join:2010-01-04

2 recommendations

EdmundGerber to Thomas M5

to Thomas M5
Uninstalled - going to try Sumatra PDF as a lightweight reader.

Any other suggestions?

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 edit

2 recommendations

HA Nut to Thomas M5

Premium Member

to Thomas M5
Apparently (based on the link above from techdows and searching around the web), the cloud problem is not new. But I had not heard of it before.

I agree that I would not use it. But, if you really like Foxit, some users are handling it by using the Portable Apps version »portableapps.com/apps/of ··· portable From what I read, it doesn't install the cloud garbage.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to Thomas M5

to Thomas M5
> I was informed about an update of Foxit

From what, to what versions?

> I opened a PDF file and right away a window popped up telling me that my file was
> succefully uploaded into the "Foxit Cloud"

Where is this "cloud"? Is it something that needs to be set up? Or is it something that "just is"? Are you able to access this cloud document? If so, how?

IOW, I'm not seeing any notification nor any way to "access" the cloud?

While I do see a /Foxit Cloud/ directory in Foxit's instalDir, I don't recall when I set up the program if I specifically deselected anything or not? (If I get a chance later, I'll reinstall & see what gives.)

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

1 recommendation

ZZZZZZZ to Thomas M5

Premium Member

to Thomas M5
What's the big deal with constantly updating apps?

I've been using this portable version for years.........and it still works great,without any additional garbage.

As do most of portable/standalone apps.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

1 edit

1 recommendation

chachazz to Thomas M5

Premium Member

to Thomas M5
Not possible.. what will be shocking is if the Mods allow your untrue allegations to remain here.
quote:
After restarting the updated Foxit I opened a PDF file and right away a window popped up telling me that my file was succefully uploaded into the "Foxit Cloud"....
Registration is required to use their cloud storage (the program provides window after installation to do so).
quote:
To use this service, you need to register for Foxit Cloud account,which isn't difficult can be done from Foxit Cloud tab in Foxit Reader without opening browser. You can also sign into this service with your Twitter or Google or Facebook account also.
By the way, as your "alternative PDF reader", ie: you have had it installed previously, the Cloud service has been available since version 6.1. which is approximately 6 releases ago.
Thomas M5
Germany

1 recommendation

Thomas M5

said by chachazz:

Not possible.. what will be shocking is if the Mods allow your untrue allegations to remain here.

Sorry, my initial post contains nothing but the truth!

1.) The version of Foxit that showed me this "Cloud upload" window is: Foxit 7.03.916
The previous version was a 6.xxx (I don't remember)

2.) I have never noticed any actions of this cloud service before, actually I wasn't aware that such a feature exists in Foxit before the window popped up.
So how could I have registered for the service before? I didn't know about it

3.) If my PDF file was succesfully uploaded or not, I can not tell. I did not register afterwards to see if my file was in this cloud or not!

All I know is that all in a sudden a Foxit window appeared telling me that my PDF file was succesfully uploaded to the Foxit Cloud.
Maybe this was a kind of an advertisment from Foxit to make me aware of this feature (which I think would not be funny!)

Anyway, such behavior of a software makes me pretty nervous.
I liked Foxit very much, but now I am sceptical about it.

Thomas
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 recommendation

Mele20 to EdmundGerber

Premium Member

to EdmundGerber
said by EdmundGerber:

Any other suggestions?

I use Evince which is the Linux reader ported to Windows. But mostly I use Fx reader that is built into Fx and Pale Moon. Evince works on Windows 8 as well as earlier versions of Windows. It is not fancy with bells and whistles. I have one PDF it barfs on (Samsung TV manual) but other than that one PDF it works fine and I have used it for about 4 years now.

»wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evin ··· ownloads

MxxCon
join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
ARRIS TM822
Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I

3 recommendations

MxxCon to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

What's the big deal with constantly updating apps?

I've been using this portable version for years.........and it still works great,without any additional garbage.

As do most of portable/standalone apps.

It's dangerious to use such old version. Look how many security exploits were fixed since version 5
»www.foxitsoftware.com/su ··· tins.php

CompUser
join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH

1 recommendation

CompUser to Thomas M5

to Thomas M5
There is an uninstall feature found in the Foxit Cloud folder under the Foxit Reader folder if you want to continue using Foxit Reader. The uninstall removed the Cloud feature.

\Foxit Software\Foxit Reader\Foxit Cloud on my system.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

GuruGuy to Thomas M5

Premium Member

to Thomas M5
I'm curious...so it was said that the update caused the cloud add-on. Another user said no. Has anyone else updated or installed this to say definitively that yes, it will install or not install the cloud add-on.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

1 recommendation

norwegian

Premium Member

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
I thought I'd have a look.
This what I noticed with a default install.
Thomas M5
Germany

1 recommendation

Thomas M5 to GuruGuy

to GuruGuy
said by GuruGuy:

I'm curious...so it was said that the update caused the cloud add-on. Another user said no. Has anyone else updated or installed this to say definitively that yes, it will install or not install the cloud add-on.

Yes, I am also curious
Therefore, I did this update also on my other Windows computer: here it worked without receiving the message "file uploaded to the Foxit Cloud".

There is one important difference between the two computers (both Win7): the second one has an outbound traffic control, and I blocked one additional installation file from Foxit that tried to connect to the internet. I have not analysed what exactly was blocked, so not sure if this makes the difference. The basic Foxit functions are working on both systems.

Yes, it's weired indeed: without ever knowing about this FoxitCloud or even registering for it, this message from Foxit popped up right after opening my very first PDF with Foxit 7.03....

Right now I have deinstalled the Foxit Cloud function on both machines, but still using Foxit as my PDF viewer....

Thomas
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

2 recommendations

19579823 (banned) to GuruGuy

to GuruGuy

I hear ya....... At least you can UNINSTALL this intrusive garbage from it!
Thomas M5
Germany

2 recommendations

Thomas M5 to GuruGuy

to GuruGuy

Re: Foxit Reader installs Cloud add-on and uploads all open files to it!

On my machines I used the offered update procedure from Foxit (runs in a kind of background window/process). In other words: I did not download/start a full "installer.exe" file from the Foxit website.

On my 2 machines these updates installed the additional FoxitCloud service without asking. So afterwards I was not aware of this service.

Thomas