spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Black Box
join:2002-12-21

1 recommendation

Black Box

Toronto EMS name change

So, Toronto EMS changes name to Toronto Paramedic Services.

Does that mean that they will have to start filling in TPS Reports before responding?

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

As long as they use the new cover sheets.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

And they use a red stapler to staple the cover sheet.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo to Black Box

Premium Member

to Black Box
We sent out a memo about the new cover sheets. I will make sure you get another copy.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Black Box

Premium Member

to Black Box
I wonder how much the rebranding will cost, and what's the reason behind the rebranding? After all the services being provided won't change.

I imagine it wont be cheap to redo the graphics on all the ambulances and other vehicles, not to mention uniforms and other stuff.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

I wonder how much the rebranding will cost, and what's the reason behind the rebranding? After all the services being provided won't change.

I imagine it wont be cheap to redo the graphics on all the ambulances and other vehicles, not to mention uniforms and other stuff.

That's the biggest think that irks me about goverments, especally at the provincial/federal level.

Everyone thinks it's so simple to change the name of a ministry to something else. Not taking into account, letterhead, business cards, IT (to create the new domain and put in mail servers), signs etc. The cost is not peanuts.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Everyone thinks it's so simple to change the name of a ministry to something else. Not taking into account, letterhead, business cards, IT (to create the new domain and put in mail servers), signs etc. The cost is not peanuts.

Ding ding ding - we have a winner... All of the following would have to be changed -
Every vehicle has to be re-labelled
Every sign must be updated
New business cards and stationary
New invoices/billing software updates to new names
Everything that points to them on every website outside their organization needs updating to new name
Every uniform has to be updated/changed
All labelling/stencils on equipment to be updated (gurneys, medical equipment, stretchers, backboards, etc.)
Training material requires updating
(and the list goes on)

Now - that's all a cost to the taxpayers - but at least those things would likely be spent in the local community getting the work done - so sign makers and stencilists will have a nice full income for a good long time... as will some IT folks, etc... At least the expenditures for the most part shouldn't leave the municipalities.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Hydraglass:

said by elwoodblues:

Ding ding ding - we have a winner....

Can someone explain to a dumb Yank like me, the [reason] for the costly change?

I went on their website.

There's really no coherent reason there except one that's the REVERSE:

They say the name is to honor all the paramedics AND all of the other professionals who work for the service

In THAT event, the OLD name is more descriptive!

-----

We see this distribution:

"EMS": Niagara Region, Bruce County, Durham Region, Waterloo Region, York Region....

"Paramedic Service": Ottawa, Peel Region....

-----

Is Toronto actually taking a step backwards?

I'd just love to understand the reason for doing this.

donoreo
Premium Member
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer1:

So would I.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Add me to that list, too.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Hmmm.

Maybe they are planning a Cops-type TV show based on [TO Paramedic Services], the show would be called "TOPS".

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Black Box

Premium Member

to Black Box
Needlessly stupid and wasteful, just like when a certain Premier decided that Ontario needed a new logo (which looks like a trio of dead, bisected stick-men).

Government is full of these useless and expensive make-work projects, its amazing they have time to perform even a small amount of somewhat useful work.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Thane_Bitter:

just like when a certain Premier decided that Ontario needed a new logo (which looks like a trio of dead, bisected stick-men).

... which was strikingly similar to a certain party's logo. Hmmmm...

Mr_Derp
join:2004-11-10
Plainfield, ON

Mr_Derp to Black Box

to Black Box
»www.intelligencer.ca/201 ··· ramedics

We had the same waste of cash happen locally as well... What a crock.

Their reasoning? 'Keeping up with provincial trends'.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Mr_Derp:

Their reasoning? 'Keeping up with provincial trends'.

Both the national and provincial EMS Chiefs Associations have switched to using ‘paramedic’ to clarify and express to the public the specific service the group provides.

Many Ontario EMS departments (Ottawa, Renfrew, Frontenac, Prescott Russell, Hamilton, Simcoe, Peel and most recently Peterborough) have rebranded to use the word Paramedic.

»www.city.kawarthalakes.o ··· -service (2013)

Some municipal governments define the acronym EMS as Emergency Medical Services and others use it to identify Environmental Management Systems. The use of EMS to denote Environmental Management Systems is gaining acceptance and recognition with heightened public awareness regarding issues of waste and environmental management. Consequently, numerous cities in North America have adopted EMS to signify environmental management systems. The acronym EMS is also linked with municipal departments that perform environmental waste management....

Within the City of Ottawa, EMS is often confused with the EMU Branch (Emergency Measures Unit) which is responsible for the City’s emergency response plan....

The translation of Emergency Medical Services, “Services médicaux d’urgence” is a term that is often confused. It is most commonly thought to be an emergency room within a hospital setting. The word Paramedic is clearly understood in both official languages. The equivalent translation for Ottawa Paramedic Service is “Service paramédic d’Ottawa”. Consequently, paramedic is a descriptive service term in both English and French.

»ottawa.ca/calendar/ottaw ··· 0007.htm (2003)

So although the Toronto people were not able to provide any semi-coherent explanation, at least it comes from these other sources.

Incredibly messy though that TPS will now stand for BOTH the Toronto Paramedic Service AND ALSO the Toronto Police Service.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

We could just call them Ambulamps and be done with it.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· dI#t=174

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

-----

We see this distribution:

"EMS": Niagara Region, Bruce County, Durham Region, Waterloo Region, York Region....

"Paramedic Service": Ottawa, Peel Region....

-----

Is Toronto actually taking a step backwards?

Some services haven't formally changed their names, but the general trend in Ontario these days is definitely to adopt the name "Paramedic" over "EMS".

York Region seems to be in the (slow and extended) process of renaming themselves -the vehicles all say York Region Paramedic (they used to say York Region EMS), the website now says Paramedic Service, but the patches on the uniforms still say York Region EMS

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

1 recommendation

Thane_Bitter to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
Sure, I mean so often Canadians dial 911 only to find that the garbage truck, Hazmat and Disaster recovery teams show up instead.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

Some services haven't formally changed their names, but the general trend in Ontario these days is definitely to adopt the name "Paramedic" over "EMS".

If you look at the specific areas that are changing from EMS to Paramedic, it looks like most of those areas are designated French Language Service Areas.

Hydraglass
Premium Member
join:2002-05-08

Hydraglass

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by corster:

If you look at the specific areas that are changing from EMS to Paramedic, it looks like most of those areas are designated French Language Service Areas.

We have also switched to Frontenac Paramedic Services here in Kingston - we are an FLSA as well which follows that. But it is interesting to note that Leeds and Grenville, which is not a FLSA, is also a "Paramedic" rather than EMS service.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Were they always Paramedic or did they switch from EMS to Paramedic? That could have something to do with it, too.

It's interesting, because back in the days of provincial management I always remember it being paramedics. Then when it got downloaded each area chose their own name and many went EMS. Now they're changing it back to paramedic when it was that to begin with.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Needlessly stupid and wasteful, just like when a certain Premier decided that Ontario needed a new logo

Still was one of the funnest discussions we had in CanPol.

»[Ontario] Spending The Surplus Wisely