uniqs

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

iPhone 6, real battery life usage? (NOT 6+)

iPhone 6, real battery life usage? (NOT 6+)
I am at 29%, 5 hours and 2 min usage and 1 day and 2 hours standby..
How much battery life do you get out of your iPhone 6?

Normally all I do is surf the net,txt msg, check email and my bluetooth is enabled on my car

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo

Unscientific reply...
I fully charge my phones every night.
Typically my 5S, by 8 PM, would be at 15-20%
The 6 at the same time is around 25-30%

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to SuperNet

Mod

to SuperNet
I have an hour of usage from 100% and I'm at 82%

Email, iMessage etc

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Mike:

I have an hour of usage from 100% and I'm at 82%

Email, iMessage etc

Usage includes more than simply sending messages, etc. Searching for a Bluetooth, WiFi or cellular phone signal depending on conditions can cause battery drain, too.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

On wifi without bluetooth. Apparently safari was eating a lot of battery too

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31

techguyga to SuperNet

Premium Member

to SuperNet
Go to Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage and it will show you what is eating most of the battery.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by techguyga:

Go to Settings > General > Usage > Battery Usage and it will show you what is eating most of the battery.

but it wont tell if your phone is wasting battery searching for a WiFi or BlueTooth signal (if you're out of range)

techguyga
Premium Member
join:2003-12-31
ARRIS BGW210-700

1 edit

techguyga

Premium Member

I didn't think that WiFi or Bluetooth used that much battery searching for a signal. They just basically sit there and listen, right?

Now, if you're talking about low signal, that's a different thing that applies to WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular. If you have a low signal, the phone will use more battery trying to maintain a connection...i.e. turning up the transmit power to talk back to a tower, router, etc. Low signal usage is shown on the battery usage chart.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

said by techguyga:

but it wont tell if your phone is wasting battery searching for a WiFi or BlueTooth signal (if you're out of range)

Never understood this thought. I have never turned off WiFi or BT. It really does not use that much when not connected. Now cell service yes if the signal is weak as the amplifier has to ramp up. That's why your phone can get warm when you have a weak cell signal.

Whoops, I posted same as poster before me, sorry.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

said by Nezmo:

Never understood this thought. I have never turned off WiFi or BT. It really does not use that much when not connected. ...

With my (since sold) 5S there were times when battery wasn't lasting through the day, so I got in the habit of turning of WiFi and BT (neither are available between 7 AM and 5 PM...so the device would be searching and searching)... the battery definitely seemed to last longer, so (very unscientific experiment here) IMHO, they contributed to the drain.

YMMV.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Nezmo

MVM,

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

Never understood this thought. I have never turned off WiFi or BT.

Agreed. These things are designed to have their radios on all the time, even when not connected. Automatic power gating can be very effective to conserve energy.

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
said by Nezmo:

said by haroldo:

said by techguyga:

Never understood this thought. I have never turned off WiFi or BT. It really does not use that much when not connected. Now cell service yes if the signal is weak as the amplifier has to ramp up. That's why your phone can get warm when you have a weak cell signal.

Whoops, I posted same as poster before me, sorry.

I always turn off BT and have found it to be a significant battery drainer when not in use. Not just my current 5s, but previous iPhones too.

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by GuruGuy:

I always turn off BT and have found it to be a significant battery drainer when not in use. Not just my current 5s, but previous iPhones too.

Bummer. I said I had never turned it off but I did play with it a long time ago to see if it helped and it made no difference.

haroldo
USA

haroldo to SuperNet

to SuperNet
Tips for better battery life
»ipod.about.com/od/ipad/a ··· life.htm
»www.gottabemobile.com/20 ··· -better/

However, the larger battery in the 6 or plus should be more than ample to last through a "normal" (ymmv) day. If not, get a car charger or one for the office and give the device a booster shot when you can.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

My usage was 7 hours until it died.

rjackal
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

rjackal

Premium Member

This popular blog post was making the rounds a couple months ago. A former Apple Genius did a deep study on iOS battery drain. Read and apply as necessary: »www.scottyloveless.com/b ··· ry-drain
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

In other words, turn off almost every feature that makes a smartphone useful and it should make your battery last longer. That IS genius (or maybe something else, I dunno).

Nezmo
MVM
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

said by 67845017:

In other words, turn off almost every feature that makes a smartphone useful and it should make your battery last longer. That IS genius (or maybe something else, I dunno).

So you didn't read the link then?

haroldo
USA

1 edit

haroldo to 67845017

to 67845017
I didn't see anything on that last that would be vital nor missed if it wasn't available in the background, etc.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Nezmo

to Nezmo
I did though. Disable push? Disable battery percentage? Airplane mode in low cell reception areas? Too much of a pita.