Search similar:

uniqs
ourhouse2006
join:2014-10-02
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

[Connectivity] Unable to Access Single Website

Hello,

We have been unable to access a single secure website since we got our new router (Wireless Gateway 2). We are able to access the site on 4G on our phones but not on any device in our home that is connected to our Comcast Wifi. Any ideas on what could be causing the problem? We have checked everything...disabled firewalls, checked other browsers, asked neighbors....

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN

train_wreck

[Connectivity] Re: Unable to Access Single Website

what's the site?

if you don't want to reveal it, what kind of error/problem do you get when you try to access it?

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by train_wreck:

What's the site?

If you don't want to reveal it, what kind of error/problem do you get when you try to access it?

I agree, it'd be good if we knew the site, and since it's secure and we don't have the info, we can't get in anyway, so there's no worry on that.
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

It's www.meriwest.com

We can access other banking sites like Bank Of America and Wells Fargo.

Just not Meriwest. I think it is something in our new router that is blocking it but Comcast has put a lot of restrictions on changes you can make in their routers.

And Comcast techs are not being very helpful since they can't replicate the problem.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Website working fine here no issues.
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

When I try to access it just times out. However on 4g I can access it.
mike31US
join:2013-08-15
Orting, WA

mike31US to ourhouse2006

to ourhouse2006
Can you reach it using the the IP address? 68.153.61.107

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to ourhouse2006

MVM

to ourhouse2006
Is or wasn't there a bug in one of the Comcast gateways that caused access issues for some website? Something to do with the firewall on the gateway itself.
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

Not able to access it via IP. We flushed the DNS just in case. We also disabled all our firewalls in our OS and in the router and still unable to access it.

The trace route makes it passed Comcast's network.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

try connecting without the router, could be the bank site or one of those many AT&T hops have your current IP marked as bad

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to ourhouse2006

MVM

to ourhouse2006
said by ourhouse2006:

Not able to access it via IP. We flushed the DNS just in case. We also disabled all our firewalls in our OS and in the router and still unable to access it.

The trace route makes it passed Comcast's network.

Has to be a routing problem somewhere as the site is accessible by both IP and name.
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

I can't bypass Comcast's Router can I? I mean I know with DSL you can but I didn't think it was possible with Comcast.

If it is a routing problem should I just get a tech out here? Or is there a patch for the router that can fix it? Or a setting?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

It's not a problem with your router, it's somewhere beyond you as you said the trace route makes it passed the Comcast network.
LittleHulk
join:2000-10-23
Knoxville, TN

LittleHulk to ourhouse2006

to ourhouse2006
said by ourhouse2006:

I can't bypass Comcast's Router can I? I mean I know with DSL you can but I didn't think it was possible with Comcast.

You should be able to if you just want to try it and see. Shut off the modem and your computer. Connect the computer to the modem. Turn the modem on and wait for it to power up all the way. Then boot your computer and it should get an ip address and be online. See if you can access that web page. If you can then it may be the router. When you hook the router back up power everything off again and start the modem first and then the router (so it can get an ip) then your computer. I have Comcast and have tested this way before. But I agree with graysonf that it sounds like it is a problem on the internet somewhere.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to ourhouse2006

Premium Member

to ourhouse2006
said by ourhouse2006:

If it is a routing problem should I just get a tech out here? Or is there a patch for the router that can fix it? Or a setting?

If you have a separate modem and router connecting directly (and powercycling) should give a different IP, which can help IF it's an single IP being blocked or a bad path (here it goes comcast. AT&T for 8-10 hops and eventually ends up at Charlston, NC with the last 2 hops not responding (though the site works fine by URL or IP) The non-responders are likely the card processor or a tunnel back to the bank itself.
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

Re: [Connectivity] Unable to Access Single Website

I was talking with a Comcast rep and as soon as I asked for the routing issue to be looked at.....crickets.

Thank you, everyone.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to LittleHulk

MVM

to LittleHulk

Re: [Connectivity] Re: Unable to Access Single Website

The original post says it's a 'Wireless Gateway 2'. Is that actually a Comcast gateway? Can you find the exact model number somewhere on it?
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

Cisco XB3. Xfinity GW.

rolfp
no-shill zone
Premium Member
join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA

rolfp to ourhouse2006

Premium Member

to ourhouse2006
I had trouble with my public IP being blocked by a site, was not able to get a different IP by releasing the lease, power cycling everything. What worked was to change the mac address on my router behind Comcast's modem.

If you use a proxy server, that would work around an IP block, also, temporarily, just to check.

»free-proxyserver.com/

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor to ourhouse2006

Premium Member

to ourhouse2006

Re: [Connectivity] Re: Unable to Access Single Website

said by ourhouse2006:

It's www.meriwest.com

We can access other banking sites like Bank Of America and Wells Fargo.

Just not Meriwest. I think it is something in our new router that is blocking it but Comcast has put a lot of restrictions on changes you can make in their routers.

And Comcast techs are not being very helpful since they can't replicate the problem.

It's working fine from up here, I'm northwest of you a ways in Redwood Valley in Mendocino County, our routing goes from Ukiah to the Bay Area.
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

Well now there is a second banking website that is blocking us.

Almost feels like our ips are being blacklisted but I checked and it looks okay.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by ourhouse2006:

Well now there is a second banking website that is blocking us.

Almost feels like our ips are being blacklisted but I checked and it looks okay.

That is weird, what bank?
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

The new bank is safeamerica.com. Almost the exact same trace route.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

I believe the problem is how your browser is dealing with a HTTPS for a non secure page.
You should be seeing a popup like this
»safeamerica.online-cu.co ··· ult.aspx
to set a cookie BEFORE you see the main page.

it has to do with the default security settings in IE and other browsers
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

I am able to access the sites on 4g. Mind you my desktop and laptop cannot connect to 4g. I will take my laptop to Starbucks today to test it out.

tshirt
Premium Member
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

If you call and ask their tech support, they will likely walk you through enabling older TLS versions while you allow cookies and popups for that page.
After the cookie is set the early TLS versions can be reset back to off (now the preferred default )
I've seen this a several different "Banks" (different names all used/linked to the same processor.)

BTW banking at a Starbucks (or any public WiFI ) requires even greater security measures IMHO and may not be the best place to test.
ourhouse2006
San Ramon, CA

ourhouse2006

I really don't believe it's a browser Issue but I want to rule it out. On our phones, on 4g, we can access both sites fine. On our comcast wifi the sites time out on our phone. We use Chrome for everything.