MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Octavean to Cortland

MVM

to Cortland

Re: 2 hours with 6+ and 5&6 looks like toys that need magnification

Well, suffice it to say, I'm getting really tired of my vintage iPhone 4. I'm leaning in the direction of the iPhone 6 Plus 64GB model,....

Hey,....Go Big,.....or Go Home,.....!!!

Im not really the type of person that puts a phone in their pants pocket front or back. A shirt pocket or a coat pocket maybe. A cargo pant pocket maybe. Right now I have a belt clip and I feel like that is the best way to go.

For what its worth I don't walk around staring at my phone (I like to actually be in the moment) and I'm not a one hand only purist.

Stefania
Jezu Chryste, Kubi
Premium Member
join:2003-03-17
Chicago, IL

Stefania to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
The Mini is 2048x1536, the plus is 1920x1080. So 30% less resolution and it's approximately 2.25x smaller than the Mini.

Cortland
Premium Member
join:2002-08-24
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

dots per inch the plus is 400 the mini is like 200 something

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Octavean

Premium Member

to Octavean
said by Octavean:

(I like to actually be in the moment)

As do I My moments just tend to be augmented (at times)

Stefania
Jezu Chryste, Kubi
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

Stefania to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
The Mini is 326, I don't know anyone that can detect a difference over 300 or so.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

well you know Apple no?
OsoPeligroso
join:2014-10-03

OsoPeligroso to dennismurphy

to dennismurphy
Yeah, but I mean relative to modern phones. I wonder if it's just a trend (like small phones were at one point), or if, deeper than that, it's also a practical tool that makes navigation easier and will therefore become the standard size for phones. Just curious, that's all.

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

1 recommendation

bbarrera

MVM

My 2 cents... if you spend a lot of time navigating between apps, and value pocketability, like I do, then 4" size is close to ideal due to ease of one-handed operation. If you spend a lot of time in one app, say watching videos, or if your eyes have trouble viewing the screen, then larger screens are better.
OsoPeligroso

OsoPeligroso

Hm. Then maybe large screens are just a trend that will eventually die off, since not everybody has vision problems or uses just one app. Time will tell.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean

MVM

Perhaps, however, the size of a device like a phone may be less of an issue if wearable (companion) devices like the Apple Watch take a sizable hold in the market.

It also may be an issue with respect to the way people use their phones or intend to use them. Not everyone wants to multitask or use their phone directly (in hand) while performing other tasks (ie walking, riding a bike, driving a car and so on). Some people may prefer to use their device via Bluetooth in a car for example or via voice command,.....or via the Apple Watch.

While others will walk miles scarcely looking up from their phone. I'm not passing judgment, I'm just saying not everyone uses these devices in an identical way situationally speaking (or want to).

OsoPeligroso

OsoPeligroso

That's true. There must be a majority preference for screen size though right? I guess I'm just wondering if the larger phones trend is need-based or popularity-based. Or both.

bbarrera
MVM
join:2000-10-23
Sacramento, CA

bbarrera to Octavean

MVM

to Octavean
I believe different phone sizes are here to stay, to support the different use models. Just like when I buy a laptop there is choice between 11" and 13" and 15"
OsoPeligroso

OsoPeligroso

Yes even if the larger phone trend dies, they'll probably still be available for those who like them.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to OsoPeligroso

Premium Member

to OsoPeligroso
said by OsoPeligroso:

Hm. Then maybe large screens are just a trend that will eventually die off, since not everybody has vision problems or uses just one app. Time will tell.

unless you die young, you'll have "vision problems" eventually. Boomers are there. Gen X are only a handful of years away.
OsoPeligroso

OsoPeligroso

That's a good point. People use contacts and glasses, but still, your point stands.

Octavean
MVM
New York, NY

Octavean to OsoPeligroso

MVM

to OsoPeligroso
said by OsoPeligroso:

That's true. There must be a majority preference for screen size though right? I guess I'm just wondering if the larger phones trend is need-based or popularity-based. Or both.

I don't know if this is true but I have heard that larger phones are preferred in Asia. So you could add region to the set of variables.

Personally, I prefer a bigger screen and when I look at a small screen device it is reminiscent of a budget product. Which is ironic because I know that there are budget phones that have larger screens (~5" or ~5.5"). I guess my point is I see larger screens as a luxury feature.

I don't think anyone should be incensed or anxious about small or big phones though. Its a simple matter of picking the product that is right for you and being happy with your choice.
OsoPeligroso

OsoPeligroso

Interesting angle regarding region.

Good point about picking up the product that's right for you. I feel like a good number of people do that (do their research). But I also suspect a lot of people just buy whatever seems popular. Then they complain or praise the device once they use it awhile.

neuronbob
Cavs NBA Champs 2016
join:2000-03-30
Bedford, OH

neuronbob to Cortland

to Cortland
My presbyopic eyes LOVE the 6+ screen and I am using it as an iPad Micro in the hospital. My iPhone 5 really does look tiny in comparison....for a second or two I might wonder how I got by with a tiny phone before. I have large hands and so I can handle the plus one-handed. In landscape mode it's perfect for using the screen's keyboard.

Very glad I got it.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland

Premium Member

Soon police will have an exact record of what you were texting when you crashed your car, hurting (killing) a child. Your speed, direction, text characters, etc., you will go to jail for life of even get the death penalty for killing a 5 year old child while texting and driving. All that information is available today, it is the police that does not use it yet. Your phone will be used against you. The information is in the cloud.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
I use an old iPhone 3G as an iPod in my car. I took it out to update it the other day, the screen is so tiny and prehistoric looking! So funny how quickly you can get spoiled.

Stefania
Jezu Chryste, Kubi
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

Stefania to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
I know a company named Apple but I do not know any person named that, no.

Cortland
Premium Member
Miami, FL

Cortland to OsoPeligroso

Premium Member

to OsoPeligroso
Yeah like the iPad trend...not quite dying...the days of the micro phone are dead, now that phones are true computers, they need an "information display area"
Cortland

Cortland to Stefania

Premium Member

to Stefania
There is no difference these days, Microsoft = Gates, Apple = Jobs, GE = Welsch, USA= Obama, and they all like 400 DPI
OsoPeligroso

OsoPeligroso to Stefania

to Stefania
Maybe he meant the guy from Cold Play and Gwenyth Peltrow's kid

lhvetinari
yaW gnorW
join:2008-09-26
Kenosha/Chgo

lhvetinari to djrobx

to djrobx
said by djrobx:

I use an old iPhone 3G as an iPod in my car. I took it out to update it the other day, the screen is so tiny and prehistoric looking! So funny how quickly you can get spoiled.

I'm in the same boat - I use my old 3GS (held together with gaffer tape) to play Spotify in my car - took it out to update the app, and it looks like something from 2005.

Stefania
Jezu Chryste, Kubi
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

1 recommendation

Stefania to Cortland

Premium Member

to Cortland
Steve Jobs isn't even alive and wasn't during any point that Apple had a 400 PPI product.

I still don't know any one living person that can tell the difference, in pixel density, from an iPhone 4 to a 5 to a 6. You didn't even know the iPad Mini was 326. The point is, at a certain point that number just becomes a bullet point on a spec sheet nothing more.